Mention the Mad Minstrel in the Tutorial
issueid=2657 01-19-2014 09:47 AM
Number of reported issues by Dogbreath: 74
Mention the Mad Minstrel in the Tutorial

I can't even count how many newbie questions/stupid deaths I've seen that can be answered/avoided by the Mad Minstrel's songs. For whatever reason, a lot of new players never go and see him. Or if they do, they don't pay much attention to his songs. While a good part of me feels like saying "serves them right!", since we're doing a tutorial anyway, maybe at the end of the tutorial you could say "there's a certain Mad Minstrel who lives in a hut in the western reaches of the chain. Listen to his songs, they might dramatically increase your chances." or something.

Also, there should be more songs, but that's another RFE. :)
Issue Details
Issue Number 2657
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone Modernized ADOM UI
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-19-2014 11:36 AM
The particular text you wrote seems too "bruteforcish" for me.
Such a manner should be applied to another good advice: "RTFM, it might dramatically increase your chances."
Honestly, I was rereading it from time to time, sometimes picking new ideas =)
The manual is very important for any player who managed to learn the controls.

Anyway, some reference to Mad Ministrel and his songs in tutorial won't hurt.
Some sort of vague words (The Creator is particularly good at those) related to him are OK.
Note: Mad Ministrel's songs are not very important until the player gets to ToEF (or at least to the banshee).

P.S. I didn't pay attention to his songs. As a result, I could not crack ToEF =(

01-20-2014 04:13 PM
Ancient Member
I can unfortunately only speak from my own experience, but I think by the time a player reaches the Minstrel for the first time (s)he is almost or just about ripe for the information. Earlier most of the songs would not really sink in or mean much, there is some exceptions. Therefore I think as things are now it is just about fine.

Maybe if the player asks Thrundarr about certain things he should mention the Minstrel?

+ Reply