Extend shop item variety in Terinyo
issueid=5345 10-14-2017 10:09 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Ravenmore: 38
Extend shop item variety in Terinyo
Terinyo offers only food. Maybe expand the shop, or add a new one, offering starting equipment cheap.

ADOM offers such massive item variety, why not give a taste of that in the first village?

Store offering low-quality items for cheap. I mean like - some of the stuff is rusted. It's mostly daggers, shortswords, bucklers, maybe a metal cap. Maybe a single cheap potion or scroll. Some clothes - boots, cloak. That kind of thing.
Even with attributes like "frayed" "bent" "weather-worn" etc. to make them weaker than the stuff you find in dungeons.

Cheap = in the 20-150gp range, similar to starting food.

This would also make starting funds more important.

Generally the idea is to allow players some control over their starting equipment, and showing off the fantastic item variety (+ upcoming PC customization) without giving starting PCs too much power.

Also: it makes sense that someone near the Drakalor entrance would make use of the fact that many new adventurers arrive and inevitably stop at Terinyo.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5345
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone "Ease of Use" UI
Votes for this feature 8
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-14-2017 10:43 AM
Ancient Member
This is in line with an idea I have mentioned in the forums sometimes:

I've always thought it would be good for noobs (without being unbalancing) if there were an "adventurer's supplies" shop in Terinyo apart from the food shop.

It could stock standard, common adventuring items like plain blankets, bandages, torches, tinderboxes, plain healing potions (non-restockable to avoid infinite supply of healing potions), perhaps even sometimes potions of cure poison or pick axes.

Cooking sets could fit there as well.

It wouldn't unbalance the game but it would help teach noobs to use common items.
(see http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...l-cooking-sets)

10-15-2017 10:19 PM
I agree give the poor people of terinyo more stuff to shop for! (make sure there is still plenty of food in that shop though)

10-16-2017 11:44 PM
The Creator
The only technical option possible in ADOM would be to turn the food shop into a general shop (maybe with a higher rate of food items). Two shops are technically impossible.

10-17-2017 04:55 AM
Maintaining a good food supply in Terinyo is pretty important for early game survival/balance.

Could you maybe add a NPC that sells rations in the same manner as the Ratling Traders, and turn Muximp's into a general shop?

10-17-2017 05:19 AM
Ancient Member
What about giving hints/directions to the black market in Lawenilothehl? Although the prices there aren't too friendly to newly generates characters.

10-17-2017 10:06 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
The only technical option possible in ADOM would be to turn the food shop into a general shop (maybe with a higher rate of food items). Two shops are technically impossible.
Oh, so that's why one never finds more than one shop in a dungeon level. One never stops learning new things about ADOM!

I do think turning the foot shop into a general store with a high rate of food items (maybe about 50% on average?) would be a good solution. And maybe give it an extra row or two of space so that the available amount of food doesn't decrease much.

10-17-2017 10:08 AM
Thomas, if you can guarantee 75% food in the shop, then I'm in favor or expanding the selection. Otherwise I'd say leave it as is.

One of the village dialogs can provide newcomers a hint for ways to get more food... for example, one of the possible farmer dialogs could be "My $randomTool broke. How am I going to get in the harvest now?"

+ Reply