Inexplicable Instant Deaths.
issueid=3677 03-29-2015 05:29 AM
Number of reported issues by Agkistro: 1
Inexplicable Instant Deaths.
Losing 200+ health in one hit from a dark orc, or from a jackal, etc.

Periodically as I;ve played this game over the past decade, something will happen where a robust character (100+ hit points) will be taken down into deep negatives (-200 hp) from one hit by a creature that shouldn't be able to do it. It was a Dark Orc today. But I've seen jackals and other creatures do it too. Last time was on R49. When I brought this up in years past, I was told that sometimes stuff like this just happens- a creature picks up a weapon of devestation, or happens to be in a room that makes this happen, or is spawned at a crazy high level for no reason.

I can't report the details of the bug, becase I'm just playing the game, and then I'm dead in one hit, and then my save file is gone,and then maybe it won't happen for a month or a year.

I think now that the game is going to Steam, it's time to tighten up situations like this so they are less likely. A permadeath game that's going for wide release needs to avoid this sort of situation.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3677
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 4
Affected Version ADOM r49
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-29-2015 01:37 PM
Ancient Member
Dark orcs are just much tougher than regular orcs and do much more damage, they should be treated with care at low PC levels. Don't be fooled by the fact that they are orcs.

Jackals were affected by the so-called uberjackal effect in 1.1.1, but this was fixed in some prerelease and now they shouldn't become killing machines anymore.

03-29-2015 04:16 PM
Like I've said, I've been playing the game for a decade, I know what a dark orc does. The same dark orc that I've walked by multiple times in the same playthrough suddenly doing 300 points of damage in a single hit isn't part of their regular, expected skill set. Especially not a couple floors above dwarftown.

Glad to hear the jackal part was fixed though.

03-29-2015 04:26 PM
Ancient Member
Like in the other post related to this, I will say this:
Rooms with deadly and chilling silence produce this effect and what happened to the OP matches their behavior exactly.
I have really had a LOT of characters between 1.1.1 and the most recent 1.2.0 version (pre55) and I've never been killed like this without some explanation.
Instant deaths don't just "happen", they must be caused by something, usually it's the mentioned room.
Even creatures spawned at a very high level don't deal that much damage, unless they are spawned in SMC.
Then again, SMC's nature is well known to the players.
A char with 100+ HP (I understand it's less than 200 though) will not be of a sufficiently high level to generate such powerful monsters in SMC.
That leaves us with an occasional out of depth monster in DH1 or DH2.
Jackals and dark orcs hardly fit into that category and even then, they are not able to deal that much damage without the deadly and chilling silence room I mentioned earlier.
I've had monsters picking up weapons of devastation and attacking me with them but they have never been able to deal that much damage.

As for your deaths, it's always possible to view the last messages before your death. Next time remember to do so and I'm 100% certain that you will see the "deadly and chilling silence" message, it's the only possible explanation.

+ Reply