Improve the way command menus are handled
issueid=3556 01-12-2015 10:36 PM
Number of reported issues by Dogbreath: 74
Improve the way command menus are handled

This RFE is mostly copied from this bug report with some material from this RFE.

Currently, the game populations responses to requests for information (like 'W'eapon stats) as well as menus for game commands in the message buffer, which is really out of place with a modern UI, where the message buffer should be reserved for things actually happening in the game. Team ADOM has taken the right step with 'a'pplying skills by having the message pop up in the center of the screen. There should also be:

- Popup window for conversations. (http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3473) (this one is actually really important IMO, as the current conversations really suck and are easily missed)

- Center screen for:
- 'a'pplying (already done),
- giving 'o'rders (already done),
- checking 'W'eapon stats,
- checking 'K'ick stats (also broken),
- changing 'T'actics (also broken, uses the old UI),
- checking 'L'iteracy,
- checking ':W'eather,
- displaying ':b'urden levels (looks especially weird right now),
- displaying ':c'ompanions,
- displaying current wealth ('$'),
- displaying name of diety (':g'),
- displaying 'ctrl+e'lapsed game time,
- displaying monster ':w'ound status,
- 'l'ooking
- 'g'iving (when you have the option, i.e, two or more npcs to give to in the area)

And additionally these should be suppressed from the message buffer and log. The only exception would be 'g'iving, where the *result* shouldn't be suppressed (as it actually impacts the game environment), but the pop up should.

The idea here is that the message buffer should be reserved for things that actually happening in the game world. I.e, you hear a noise, a monster appears, a monster attacks you, you are hit by an arrow!, etc. So PC-gameworld interactions. When it's player-interface interactions, it should be in the center of the screen (because it's an active request rather than a passive observation), and not logged in the message buffer. I.e, checking your 'W'eapon stats isn't something that the PC is doing and/or an actual event in the world of Ancardia, it's the player requesting information from the game.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3556
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All Steam Versions
Status Implemented
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM r56
Implemented Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Milestone "Ease of Use" UI
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-13-2015 01:27 AM
Oh, the drop menu should be added to this list. And probably more that I'm forgetting. (Like a lot of the skills, pick pockets, disarm traps, ventriloquism, etc.)

01-13-2015 02:05 AM
Targetting menus too, though that's already another bug report.

06-26-2017 05:43 PM
The Creator
All command menus have been put into dialogs. I like the new way. In some cases (like ':b' for displaying burden levels I have added extra information to make them somewhat less redundant). I already know about one thing that oldtimers probably will complain about but for the sake of the experiment I am going to wait for feedback after the next release ;-) If they complain about what I'm thinking about it will be easy to fix :-)

06-26-2017 09:18 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
All command menus have been put into dialogs. I like the new way. In some cases (like ':b' for displaying burden levels I have added extra information to make them somewhat less redundant). I already know about one thing that oldtimers probably will complain about but for the sake of the experiment I am going to wait for feedback after the next release ;-) If they complain about what I'm thinking about it will be easy to fix :-)
Does this mean that you now need to press a key to hide the output of stuff like :b (burden levels) and W (weapon damage)? I feel like that would get pretty annoying.

06-27-2017 07:51 AM
I supposed any command should be available despite the dialog and upon execution dialog should be simply closed. Any reason why this wouldn't work?

06-27-2017 09:05 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
I supposed any command should be available despite the dialog and upon execution dialog should be simply closed. Any reason why this wouldn't work?
The dialog would still cover up part of the display until you press a key. Also potentially confusing, since the behavior of z and ESC would differ depending on what type of dialog is on screen.

06-27-2017 10:04 AM
The Creator
Yes, it's one more keypress now - but as you in my experience don't constantly use these commands to me it seems to be unnoticeable.

06-27-2017 03:21 PM
Ancient Member
Yes, it's one more keypress now - but as you in my experience don't constantly use these commands to me it seems to be unnoticeable.
Often when I'm using these commands I'll be using them several times in a row. W in particular I'm generally using to compare damage between two different setups. :b I might use several times to see how much more I need to drop to get below a certain level. I guess I'll have to see what it feels like in practice, but it seems like a definite downgrade - having the information appear on a random part of the screen instead of in the message buffer also seems less convenient.

06-27-2017 04:35 PM
Perhaps this could be an option to set in the menu? I personally like the idea of it being a popup as I don't see myself really using these commands a lot, but there are some I bet who would like it the old way.

06-27-2017 05:43 PM
The Creator
Quote Originally Posted by Grond
Often when I'm using these commands I'll be using them several times in a row. W in particular I'm generally using to compare damage between two different setups. :b I might use several times to see how much more I need to drop to get below a certain level. I guess I'll have to see what it feels like in practice, but it seems like a definite downgrade - having the information appear on a random part of the screen instead of in the message buffer also seems less convenient.
At least it's not a random part but centered on the screen :-) Please try it and if it feels too slow we'll find a way to speed it up. As you can press SPACE to close the dialogs I personally do not really notice any delay because SPACE pressing is so innate to me.

06-27-2017 06:22 PM
Ancient Member
At least it's not a random part but centered on the screen :-) Please try it and if it feels too slow we'll find a way to speed it up. As you can press SPACE to close the dialogs I personally do not really notice any delay because SPACE pressing is so innate to me.
Ah, I was thinking it would be something like the kick and look dialog boxes where the box is placed so that it doesn't cover up the action. Having seen the new video I'm a bit more optimistic. Incidentally, showing attack energy cost along with to-hit/damage would be a nice way to expand the information offered, similar to what you have done with :b.

+ Reply