Text screendump command
issueid=3987 11-17-2015 02:22 AM
Number of reported issues by His Noodly Appendage: 1
Text screendump command
A command to dump the visible glyphs to a parseable text format

I would very much like a way to render the current ASCII-mode level (as much of it as is visible) to a text file instead of the screen. Just visible glyphs and their colours would be fine, in any conceivable format.

About 15 years ago, I wrote a DOS TSR to do this, but the days of direct memory access to the text console are long gone (not that the new version uses it anyway)

Thomas, if you're reading this, you may remember some auto-generated 3D ADOM art posted to the newsgroup (I think you may even have posted an image on the site...) built via a script that munged a screendump into a POV-ray scene file.

That was my project, and I'd love to revive it for old times' sake (one of the geekiest things I've ever done), and to celebrate the steam release.

( could generate some neat publicity, no? )

I'm thinking there could be other interesting analytics could be spun out of this, too.

If it can be done in a few lines of code... could you consider it?
Issue Details
Issue Number 3987
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All Steam Versions
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM r61 (v2.0.0)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-17-2015 02:47 AM
Ancient Member
'[' key ingame.

11-17-2015 08:30 AM
No colour information :(

11-17-2015 10:34 AM
Ancient Member
Probably needs an updated html version. :)

11-17-2015 06:40 PM
It'd be awesome to have a colour version as well - it's not an urgent issue IMO, but worth doing if simple. Maybe another command utilising [ as one of the keys, and keep the old one as basic ASCII?

11-17-2015 07:44 PM
Quote Originally Posted by auricbond
Probably needs an updated html version. :)
Perfect idea!

11-19-2015 06:16 PM
Ancient Member
Thomas, if you're reading this, you may remember some auto-generated 3D ADOM art posted to the newsgroup (I think you may even have posted an image on the site...) built via a script that munged a screendump into a POV-ray scene file.
Just curious, are you talking about these?

http://www.adom.de/adom/gallery.php3

11-19-2015 08:51 PM
Not those ones, alas - they were manually arranged, whereas mine was more of a screenshot tool :)

+ Reply