Pop-up menu's are too hard to click away from..
issueid=4108 11-27-2015 10:28 AM
Number of reported issues by tkoyah: 10
Pop-up menu's are too hard to click away from..

This is really just a minor issue of UI behaviour, but the behaviour of ADOM's pop-up menu's is different enough from 'standard' UI behaviour that I think it's worth considering. Consider the attached screen-shot - the menu that pops-up when clicking on the player takes up much of the screen, but if I decide I want to return to the game without clicking on anything, my instinct is to move the pointer to the left or right of the menu and click. (ie: click *off* the menu.) But, as you can see in the screen-shot, I have moved the pointer to the extreme left of the window, yet a click will still select the "inventory" item from the menu. IMHO this is not right.

Currently I could click away from the menu by moving the pointer above or below the menu, but as it's such a big menu, and there's little space above it (where my pointer is closest to) my instincts -- as they've been trained by Windows/OS-X/Unix over the years -- is to go for that big gap to the left and click somewhere there.

If the authors would like to keep some slack-space to the left and right of the menu, so the player doesn't have to hit it exactly, maybe 50 or 75 pixels the the left and right would be good? (I've drawn the dotted line at +75 pixels left and right.) But I really think any clicks outside of this dotted area -- if not anywhere outside of the menu -- should be interpreted at the player aborting the menu, rather than clicking on it.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4108
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All with NotEye
Status Fixed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM r63 (v2.0.2)
Fixed Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Milestone "Ease of Use" UI
Users able to reproduce bug 2
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users Zeno
Tags (none)

11-29-2015 04:39 AM
It'd be nice to have a simple keypress command visible in the pop-up menu to close it quickly, but I agree that extra space for clicking is a good idea.

06-20-2017 08:26 PM
The Creator
It also should be possible to click them away with some kind of X icon in the menu frame.

06-23-2017 09:07 PM
Ancient Member
Fixed by no longer recognizing mouse when it is horizontally outside of the window.

IMHO an X button is not necessary -- usually such windows have no X buttons -- but I am not closing this yet, for discussion.

07-05-2017 12:26 PM
The Creator
I agree with Zeno that we don't need an explicit close button for these kinds of menus (now that clicking besides them works correctly in all cases).

+ Reply