Illogical messages
issueid=743 02-15-2012 07:13 PM
Administrator
Number of reported issues by jt: 159
Illogical messages

From typo collection (http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=716):

[1] "An used tome (100s) is lying here." (A used tome)
[2] "You drop the 1 gold piece.", "A 1 gold piece is lying here." (You drop 1 gold piece, 1 gold piece is lying here)
[3] Under certain circumstances, the "(after saving his/her world)" or "(after winning)" after the character's death reason shows up twice. I've seen this in some Hall of Fame logs and once in a more closer character death :)
[4] In the log for UCG endings, it says "Bathed in the radiance of Law and Goodness He/She enters your home plane and challenges you to a battle." The he/she is capitalized. This may be intentional?
[4a] "Female swordsmen" should be swordswomen. Maybe there shouldn't be female swordsmen at all (same goes for other monsters), as it was done with stone giant lords.
[5] Undead can be frozen or burnt "to death" by frozen/flaming weapons.
[6] Monsters that are "transformed into ashes" by Burning Hands still leave corpses. Water creatures (e.g. elementals) are still "transformed into ashes".
[7] Hitting a monster vulnerable against cold with a frozen weapon, and having the cold damage be stopped by its PV: "The -foo- is frozen by icy shards emerging from your weapon. The -foo- is badly injured by the icy blast. The attack doesn't penetrate the defenses of the -foo-!"
[8] "You are blinded by a sudden flash! You pray to -god name-. You are healed by a black light surrounding you." How can a blind PC see the light surrounding them?
[9] A PC creating darkness with a torch or amulet of light on is still told "suddenly everything is dark".
[10] Golems can "grunt at you in a friendly manner" but they're unable to talk.
[11] Reading a blessed scroll of magic mapping yields the message "you suddenly know everything about this dungeon level" even when you're not inside a dungeon.

[12] Undead and constructs cannot be paralyzed/stunned/confused, but the corresponding messages will often appear ("The zombie is stunned!", "The zombie is paralyzed!"). Throwing the phial of Caladriel at them yields no message at all except "out of ammunition".
[13] The last level of the Assassins' Guild message says some whispers emanate from the shadows even for deaf PCs.
[14] Changelog: "Immunities no longer can be "enhanced by items". You either are immune or you are not." Text could be changed to "also gained by items" so that the player knows if he's naturally immune and is wearing something that grants the same immunity.
[15] Teleportitis, Teleport Control, and See Invisible shouldn't be "enhanced" through items. You either teleport, control TP or see invisible, or you don't. They should get the same treatment I explained above.
[16] Angering the neutral god via reading tracts of order/chaos is incorrectly displayed as angering the lawful god.
[17] "During your apprenticeship under an elderly wizard, you come across a powerful magical amulet of unknown power" - Is it powerful or unknown?
[18] Fairy dragon description says "Its arsenal of breath weapons is varied", but they only breath water.
[19] If the pile of items I've just dropped is the only one in this level, reading a scroll of item detection or zapping the homonym wand says "You sense the presence of an item", even though there are hundreds on that square.

[20] Cat spirits rising can be seen in dark rooms while blind.
[21] When 'a'pplying Gardening while stuck in webs, it says the ground is not suitable. It should give a generic "not while stuck in webs" message instead. If done on an herb square, it also says the ground is not suitable. It should say there's an herb bush there already.
[22] "It is possible to teleport Glod away from his smithy, although the details (wand of teleportation vs the Teleportation spell) have yet to be worked out. He wanders in Dwarftown but still asks for the nominal 2500 gold piece fee (seemingly telepathically, probably a bug)" -- ADOM Guidebook
[23] Shopkeeper says "thanks for enhancing the value of my wares" if you pick up cursed food with poison hands. Price doesn't change at all.
[24] Lighting an everburning torch while blind: "The uncursed everburning torch [+1, +0] lights itself.", "The uncursed everburning torch [+1, +0] is already giving light." A blind PC has no way of knowing that.
[25] Sting and Needle's unIDed appearance should be "black rune-covered dagger (10s)" instead of "dagger (10s)", which makes an unspoiled player very likely to miss those artifacts.
[26] Eating some humanoid corpses can trigger the Law skill ("You feel as if transgressing some law.") even though it's not a chaotic act.
[27] If you check Kelly's ':w'ound status, it says he is not injured.
[28] "Kobold Shaman bolts can harm a lightning immune PC (...) If the attack is indeed lightning based, it should not harm the PC. Someone suggested the "lightning" may not be lightning, but the power of the souls of dead kobolds, the monster memory would seem to indicate this. If this is the case, and the bolt is not lightning damage, the attack should be re-worded to avoid confusion." -- RFE 2470
[29] 'U'sing drakish scurgari results in the message "Use the -foo- with an appropriate missile weapon." There is no such weapon in the game nor is it necessary.
[30] Moving to a tile adjacent to a mimic while invisible: "Suddenly a mimic attacks you! The mimic seems to search for someone or something." - First phrase should probably be something like "The item suddenly turns into a mimic!"
[31] "The gorgon breathes petrification gas at you! Something on the ground is burned to ashes within moments!" - Why?
[32] Being killed by a ghost will result in the "was aged to death by a -ghost-" death message even if I was only killed in melee, not aged.
[33] Throwing a potion of water at a wild cat says "The wild cat seems to panic!", but it actually does not. If it's just flavor text (cats usually don't like water :)), the wording should be altered.
[34] Casting invisibility on a monster with the see invisible intrinsic: "Suddenly the -foo- is gone!" and worse, if cast again: "Suddenly the invisible -foo- is gone!"
[35] Shopkeepers can tell an invisible PC they haven't detected yet to keep their fingers off rations, not to drink unpaid potions, and not to push them around in their shop, among others.
[36] *removed*
[37] Talking to a female ratling rebel while wearing furs: ""Ye animal sssllayer! Ssssuffer!" The female ratling rebel pulls a strange potion from his clothes and sprays a liquid into your face."
[38] When you give Bart the golden gladius, the game says "Over the next hours the old gladiator recounts a number of interesting tricks to you." but only ~1 minute of game time passes. The same is true of training with Yergius.
[39] Weather messages can be seen while blind. The command to check the ':W'eather is also perfectly usable while blind.
[40] Re-reading a manual of bridge building will always say it has some information you haven't yet learned, but according sorear's wiki it doesn't train or increase the skill's dice in any way.
[41] Uncontrolled teleportitis kicking in and PC landing into a tile with items: "You pick up the heap of 20 blessed rocks. Suddenly you stand elsewhere." Messages should be reversed.
[42] You can see bolts "fizzling and disappearing" even if the (possibly hidden) door they hit is out of LOS.
Issue Details
Issue Number 743
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Other (please specify)
Status In Progress
Priority Unknown
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 2
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-07-2012 06:53 PM
Administrator
@[18]: fairy dragons now have randrom breath, therefore the old description is valid. :)

09-07-2012 06:54 PM
Ancient Member
Nice!

10-16-2012 03:45 PM
Ancient Member
(116) When a ratling thief attempts to pick my pockets and I have 0gp, I hear him squeaking and "a disappointed squeak". Assumedly, the message that should be displayed when the PC is blind appears too.
(117) "-godname- seems to be absolutely close to you" is displayed if sacrificing to the wrong god, but conditions for crowning with the current one are fine (e.g. I'm N= saccing on a L altar and have very high piety with both).
(118) I can hear the holy chants of the DT chorus even after murdering everyone and destroying all the rooms.
(119) Some of the trap messages need to be different for invisible monsters, e.g. "An arrow barely misses something." - how could a PC that can't see invisible notice?
(120) When leaving a dungeon and an invisible monster follows you: "Something decides to follow you."
(121) If a monster tries to open a room's stone block-trapped door from the other side, the game says "A stone block drops from the ceiling in front of the door" even though I can't see it.

10-16-2012 05:19 PM
I figured I'd offer ideas for substitutes for these two...

Quote Originally Posted by anon123
(119) Some of the trap messages need to be different for invisible monsters, e.g. "An arrow barely misses something." - how could a PC that can't see invisible notice?
How about something like "An arrow suddenly launches itself", or "You see an arrow trap trigger on its own"...

Although, it's not necessarily true that you can't notice the situation. Just because it's invisible, doesn't mean that you can't notice its presence in other ways, especially when it's startled by an arrow trap. Kind of like how, when you try to walk into an invisible monster, you automatically try to attack it, and it gives a message to that effect even if you missed, implying awareness of its presence.

(120) When leaving a dungeon and an invisible monster follows you: "Something decides to follow you."
I think it would add to the flavour of this case if it said something like "You feel as though you are being followed".

10-17-2012 02:16 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn
How about something like "An arrow suddenly launches itself", or "You see an arrow trap trigger on its own"...
I like those! That's exactly how a character would perceive an invisible monster triggering a trap but evading the consequences :)

10-24-2012 08:06 PM
Administrator
[122] If the player tries to open/close an already opened/closed door the message "What door?" appears. This should be replaced with "The door is already open/closed."

10-24-2012 11:17 PM
Ancient Member
[123] "This is an invisible invisible stalker." Occurs after making an invisible stalker invisible (throw potion/cast spell).
[124] No message is generated when invisible stalker drinks a potion of invisibility, not even if one can see invisible. Problem may exist with other potions too.

11-14-2012 06:32 PM
Ancient Member
Encountered these oddities in 1.2.0 pre 4.

The Fairy Dragon breathes fire at you. You are washed away!

Ate one fortune cookie and got two messages: "They say that Mana is a kind of side trek.They say that some items are especially deadly in combat... no matter how you use them. "

11-14-2012 07:03 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
They say that some items are especially deadly in combat... no matter how you use them. "
Wow, is that a new fortune cookie message? I don't remember seeing it before.

11-14-2012 07:27 PM
Administrator
Fixed the cookie...

11-15-2012 04:16 PM
Ancient Member
Wow, is that a new fortune cookie message? I don't remember seeing it before.
Yes, some new fortune cookie messages were introduced since 1.2.0 pre 1.

11-15-2012 09:34 PM
Ancient Member
[125] Targeting a missile past an invisible being: "Your missile doesn't hit anything!" Yet it falls on ground on the spot where the monster is.

[126] Killing an invisible monster with a rock may produce 2 thudding sounds. This could be intentional (first one is the monster falling and rock is the second one), but still looks a bit stupid: "You hit something and notice a thudding sound. [+3161xp] You hear a thudding sound."

11-21-2012 04:15 PM
Ancient Member
#12: messages regarding paralysis still appear if other monsters cause it.

11-30-2012 10:28 AM
Ancient Member
[127] Monster is killed on a missed attack: "The cute dog attacks the stone ooze. The cute dog misses the stone ooze. The stone ooze is killed!"

11-30-2012 12:28 PM
Ancient Member
I can confirm [127] above, but the cause is that successful hits from companions aren't displayed, only misses are. I am guessing this is intentional, to reduce combat spam. Still, an option to display them would be nice.

04-27-2013 06:24 PM
Ancient Member
[128] 'g'iving towards a tile where there is no NPC while in unlit darkness returns the message: 'You don't see anyone at that point.'

Perhaps it should rather respond: 'You don't feel anyone at that point.' or 'There isn't anyone at that point.' Because when there is a NPC on that tile, you don't see it either.

(109) Today I tried to give a hostile cave tiger a giant rat corpse in the SMC, and it said "why would I want your giant rat corpse? Do you know who I am!?" This might be intentional, but why would tigers talk?
Intriguing.

04-27-2013 10:07 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
Intriguing.
True. It's noteworthy that attempting to give shopkeepers and Blup's mom stuff when they're hostile results in the same message. But I have no idea of what made that particular tiger react that way.

05-26-2013 07:27 PM
Ancient Member
In Prerelease 14.

"You spit a glob of acid. The glob nearly hits the goblin. The goblin screams in anger! The goblin melts away! [10xp] Splush!"

It sounds as if the goblin was missed by the acid, but yet he melts away.

05-27-2013 10:27 PM
Ancient Member
Was there another goblin behind it?

05-27-2013 10:48 PM
Ancient Member
No. I was able to reproduce many times with different monsters and range and direction.

+ Reply