Prevent accidental magic/lighting bolt deaths
issueid=1776 01-16-2013 06:09 PM
Number of reported issues by sillihai: 43
Prevent accidental magic/lighting bolt deaths
So many pointless YASDs...

I think it's safe to say most of us have experienced this while playing spellcasters.. You're blasting away at monsters in close quarters, using a bouncing bolt spell. Then a single slip of the finger and you shoot the bolt in the wrong direction, making the bolt bounce between two close walls and you get hopelessly fried to death. Since no player character smart enought to cast spells would intentionally do this, I think it would be feasible to add some kind of prevention mechanism for it. Like a code that calculates behorehand the approximate damage you'd be causing to yourself with the (mis)selected direction (hope my english and idea makes sense), and if it exceeds a certain amount (like 1/3 of current hp), there would be a message displayed "You are going to cause yourself considerable damage by casting the spell in that direction. Do you still want to proceed? Y/n"

Besides this there's also the issue that the PC never dodges/evades their own bounced missiles. Is that a bug?
Issue Details
Issue Number 1776
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows XP
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 10
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 5
Votes against this feature 24
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-17-2013 09:27 AM
Ancient Member
"No" from me. Although I never blasted myself to death so far, I think it would be an intense and somehow entertaining experience.

12-17-2013 06:50 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by GordonOverkill
"No" from me. Although I never blasted myself to death so far, I think it would be an intense and somehow entertaining experience.
Your time will come, don't you worry. ;)

01-05-2014 02:29 PM
Ancient Member
I still think that there should be a safety measure... but only when every single tile the bolt would hit is the one the PC is standing on.

Like this (shoots to right):

#@#

Not this

#@.#

or this

#.@#

As soon as the space the bolt would bounce in includes more than one tile, the PC has a much higher chance of living already, so the confirmation would not be as necessary. It should prevent only situations where the spell goes completely to waste, damaging only the player. And it shouldn't try to calculate remaining HP like in OP, that's too easy.

01-05-2014 11:08 PM
My vote would normally be a no, but I can understand the frustration for something like this happening. I agreed with the comments that this is a roguelike game and you should be punished for something like this. So this is my idea:

Have a settings option that:

1. Traces offensive spell/wand path (up to a certain amount of tiles)
Example: The Bust a Move game has an easy mode which shows the path of your shot: http://media.insidepulse.com/zones/d...09/07/BAM2.jpg
Same concept for ball spells, it will show your effective range. An example of this would like like heroes of might and magic 3 or shining force http://sf2.shiningforcecentral.com/i...ls_diagram.gif

The idea here is that players have the option to choose this. Maybe certain features like saving and tracing your spell shots could be part of the "easy mode" while the adom we are used to would be "hardcore" mode.

Let me know if you need more clarification, but this is my two cents on the matter.

01-08-2014 06:14 AM
more death=more fun,voted NO ofc

01-08-2014 10:05 AM
Voted no, for the reason already stated :P.

+ Reply