items missing upon inventory filtering
issueid=3675 03-25-2015 03:49 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by auricbond: 264
items missing upon inventory filtering

I'm in the habit of filtering with '(' upon attempting to wield a weapon, to make the process quicker. A few minutes after killing the minotaur emperor I felt like wielding his axe, only to find that it wasn't anywhere in my inventory. I actually back-tracked to his level and killed enemies looking for it! Turned out it was there all along but when I filtered the items, it made some of them disappear. That is, the last six or so two-handed weapons could only be seen when not filtering.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3675
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Cannot Reproduce
Priority 4
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Fixed Version ADOM r60
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users adom-admin, jt
Tags (none)

03-25-2015 08:51 PM
Administrator
I can't reproduce this with R57, so I guess the problem was already fixed. Can you upload a save game?

03-25-2015 09:08 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by jt
I can't reproduce this with R57, so I guess the problem was already fixed. Can you upload a save game?
Afraid not, it isn't reproducable now. Must be an unusual set of circumstances that cause it to happen, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't an error on my part, I checked the effect multiple times and was forced to scroll through my inventory the normal way to equip certain items. Where can I upload a save if it happens again?

*EDIT Got a save-file that can reproduce the bug (I reloaded it to make sure it wasn't independent of the save game, it isn't), so where should I send it?

03-26-2015 09:55 AM
Ancient Member
I noticed the filter doesn't work properly with long item names which require two lines to display.
It happened to me with items that had both a prefix and a suffix, like blessed frozen eternium two-handed sword of slaughtering etc.

03-26-2015 08:06 PM
Administrator
You can attach your save game to this issue (preferably in a ZIP file).

03-26-2015 09:26 PM
Ancient Member
You can attach your save game to this issue (preferably in a ZIP file).
Ah got it.

So if you load the save (probably needs renaming back to Sing.svg?) go to inventory, equip weapon with 'f', scroll down to the last two-handed weapon: an admantium long spear with a weight of 134.

Now if you go back, equip weapon again with 'f', filter with '(', scroll down-- see if you can find the spear.

03-27-2015 07:49 AM
Administrator
Yes, it only happens if you have items that require two lines to display (like Blasphemous said). I guess we should use the same "name shortening tricks" that are used in the inventory to fix this problem.

03-27-2015 08:27 AM
Ancient Member
Yes, it only happens if you have items that require two lines to display (like Blasphemous said). I guess we should use the same "name shortening tricks" that are used in the inventory to fix this problem.
Any reason the bug can't be fixed in a more direct manner? Not that I'm opposed to abbreviating the lines as well.

08-18-2015 10:23 AM
The Creator
Fixed. Now works without shortening anything.

@auricbond: The reason for us to be hesitant about this is that the item selection code really is a huge mess of special cases. One of the most complicated pieces of code in all inventory handling with dozens of special cases and a large probability to unwittingly break something in another place. But hopefully I did not err and everything will be good ;-)

08-18-2015 11:10 AM
Ancient Member
@adom-admin I understand. Maybe it could be refactored in the future?

08-18-2015 01:59 PM
The Creator
Quote Originally Posted by auricbond
@adom-admin I understand. Maybe it could be refactored in the future?
Yes, probably. But it's one of the most hellish and least thankful areas in ADOM ;-) So we try to avoid it for now. But yes, definitely. It's probably a good point to start refactoring once we again start to simplify and revise the UI there.

09-16-2015 01:48 AM
Ancient Member
This is still an issue as of release 60. I've attached another save-file where it occurs. If you scroll down in the inventory to the last two-handed weapon it's an un-id'd two-handed sword. If you filter by weapon and scroll to the bottom, it is not to be seen.

03-22-2018 01:25 PM
Administrator
Seems to be fixed by now (ADOM 3.1.3).

+ Reply