[RFE] Tone down Dooming
issueid=4222 01-10-2016 08:15 PM
Number of reported issues by Elitist: 7
[RFE] Tone down Dooming
Please don't take the numbers too literally they're for visual aids and make thinking about this more tangible.

I've thought about this one for a long time.

Dooming is, by leaps and bounds, the worst status effect in the game. Some might argue sickness is more direct at killing you, others would say they'd take a dooming over an early game poison, everyone agrees that an artifact that causes dooming is an artifact not worth wearing in combat. Instead of selectively peeling off the doomed state from artifacts we really want to like, let's make dooming less. Hellish.

I feel like a lot of the elements of dooming are interesting, and a few of them are flavorful (eaten by a grue is my most hated way to die, buuuut hats off, you got me) enough for me to live with them, some of them make the effect crippling, to the point where I'm well prepared to restart a game over it.

SUGGESTIONS:

In general, I'm asking for Dooming to be less effective player killer versus non-ranged protagonists.

Instead of increasing the rate in which enemies ignore armor exponentially, let's increase the rate in which they pierce armor by a flat amount. Maybe, 20% of all hits could just bypass armor, a 1 in 5 chance of having, say, Celestrix's enormous PV be a meaningless gain, instead of it being a Girdle of Regeneration That Also Raises My DV By A Fair Amount.

Count a players Stealth and Survival skill against Dooming when deciding on ambush. Dooming does a lot to invalidate a lot of the good a player does, and changing this will put some control back into the hands of a player. Have you tried traversing the Drakalor Chain with dooming? Have you seen where the one guaranteed altar is? Good grief.

Finally, please tone down the amount of special attacks bypassing the player's armor. I wouldn't mind this one if sickness and paralyzation weren't such violent killers.

ALTERNATIVELY.

Make every count you have of Fate Smiles counter Dooming directly, balancing your luck out to average. Fate Smiles is a very worthwhile ability to have, and Dooming is... terrifying. It wouldn't stop multiple accounts of dooming, but it would let you wear one piece of doomed equipment without being penalized.

First suggestion makes Dooming more bearable, and in turn, makes every item that grants dooming more powerful, in turn. The Crown/Medallion/Sceptre become useable (to an extent), and accidentally tapping a karmatic creature isn't the end of the world.

Suggestion number two offers a very keen player the chance to wear some dangerous items without suffering as much. It offers a few more playstyles and I think that's great.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4222
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 3
Suggested Version ADOM r65 (v2.1.0)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 11
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-10-2016 08:59 PM
Ancient Member
Instead of increasing the rate in which enemies ignore armor exponentially, let's increase the rate in which they pierce armor by a flat amount. Maybe, 20% of all hits could just bypass armor, a 1 in 5 chance of having, say, Celestrix's enormous PV be a meaningless gain, instead of it being a Girdle of Regeneration That Also Raises My DV By A Fair Amount.
Is it exponential? Compared to what? Enemies bypass armor a fair bit while doomed, but honestly, I doubt it's more than 20% as it is.

Count a players Stealth and Survival skill against Dooming when deciding on ambush. Dooming does a lot to invalidate a lot of the good a player does, and changing this will put some control back into the hands of a player. Have you tried traversing the Drakalor Chain with dooming? Have you seen where the one guaranteed altar is? Good grief.
This is already the case. Makes a huge difference, actually. Of course, invisibility really helps if you have the option.

ALTERNATIVELY.

Make every count you have of Fate Smiles counter Dooming directly, balancing your luck out to average. Fate Smiles is a very worthwhile ability to have, and Dooming is... terrifying. It wouldn't stop multiple accounts of dooming, but it would let you wear one piece of doomed equipment without being penalized.
In terms of luck and luck only, Fate roughly cancels out one count of dooming from an item (intrinsic is worse). Dooming has other non-luck-related effects that Fate doesn't cancel out. In my experience, a character wearing the ankh + dooming is quite tolerable though, not much harder than a regular character.

Suggestion number two offers a very keen player the chance to wear some dangerous items without suffering as much. It offers a few more playstyles and I think that's great.
As someone who has spent an awful lot of time playing doomed, I'd really be disappointed to see it toned down. Yes, it's nasty, but that's what makes it interesting and fun to play. Dooming is a rare effect and generally easy to avoid.

01-10-2016 10:02 PM
Ancient Member
I agree with Jelly. You can control the circumstances in which you gain the intrinsic and knowledge allows you to avoid unwanted items that grant it.
One coaligned altar is pretty much all you need to remove dooming at zero cost, assuming enough piety.

I agree with one thing - there should be a way to completely negate *all* dooming effects with at least two items that grant fate smiles.
That way with the right setup, one could enjoy celestrix and some other nice items without risking silly death to a ghoul+claw bug combo.
By all dooming effects I mean those that also impact DL of monsters and of course frequency of pv ignoring etc.

01-10-2016 10:26 PM
Ancient Member
I love the presence of dooming in the game. It mostly lives up to its name, although if you play very well you can overcome it, and that can feel epic!

If dooming didn't exist we would need to invent it. I disagree with toning it down. Some items that grant dooming are almost never worth wearing but then it's the items that could be fixed, not dooming per se.

01-11-2016 02:03 AM
In no way. I would agree to tone down negative effects on some artifacts replacing dooming by other negative effects (cursing, penalties to primary / secondary attributes...). But dooming is just meant to be strong effect. And actually doomed characters are quite playable. If you know how to handle it of course. One more thing, there is a guaranteed straightforward and relatively easy way to get rid of it if you're doomed intrinsically.

01-11-2016 02:11 AM
Ancient Member
Getting doomed is (as indicated by the name) something that on a normal game, you really don't want to happen. In that regard, it's just fine and doesn't need to be changed.

I do agree that +Doom items aren't worth it, but for others, they're an acceptable risk. It's about making decisions and trade-offs, which is an important part of this game.

01-11-2016 03:22 AM
One thing that could be done better is more visibility to doomed status. It is of no consequence to a spoiled player, but new players might find it difficult to relate their misfortunes to acquiring doomed intrinsics. Various messages from hitting a karmic and with pools do not quite communicate the severity of the situation :). Some of the doomed artifacts look very good "on paper" until greater identity is cast although the auto-cursing thing acts as a warning. And javelin of doom sounds great until you realize that it refers to YOUR DOOM, not your enemies :).

01-11-2016 07:05 AM
The Creator
Dooming does what the name says and has been a feature for an eternity. As there haven't been valid complaints about it in the past and I personally don't see a problem with it it won't get changed.

Getting items adjusted is a different topic though and I'm open for other RFEs to that effect.

01-15-2016 06:51 AM
It's a shame that being Doomed, Poisoned and Sick can't have a mildly lesser effect in the early game where a player might need to search a bit longer to find a way to remove those conditions. Smaller effect at lower levels perhaps? It'd solve some of the "unavoidable early game death" issues.

+ Reply