Some weirdness with the new level 50 necromancer aging text
issueid=4696 03-10-2017 04:58 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grond: 971
Some weirdness with the new level 50 necromancer aging text

Since the game is ending due to the character transforming, the final message should not include "You die...":
Code:
You age... and suddenly transform into a demi-lich. Just being a levitating skull sadly ends your adventuring days. You are lost to history... You die...
If the character is wearing an amulet of life saving, there is an additional message that should also be omitted (again, because it's a transformation rather than a proper death):

Code:
For a moment your amulet of life saving glows in a silvery light...
...in vain. Your time has come.
In the game summary there is an extra dot:

Code:
was transformed into a demi-lich and got lost....
Issue Details
Issue Number 4696
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 10 - Lowest
Affected Version ADOM r72 (v2.2.6)
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-11-2017 04:53 PM
Hi Grond,

Would you hide code blocks under spoilers? It was an exiting thing for me to discover it on my own, I'd bet many players who didn't reach this stage would like to try theirselves too to see what happens.

03-11-2017 05:58 PM
Ancient Member
I think it's sufficiently clear from the title that the report will contain spoilers.

03-13-2017 02:13 AM
Just on the wording, I think "was transformed into a demi-lich and got lost..." isn't very good English. "was transformed into a demi-lich and was lost...", despite the repetition of the word "was" reads much better.
(Thought I'd mention it here .. if there are minor tweaks to this text happening already.) :)

03-13-2017 03:44 AM
Ancient Member
"Got lost" is correct in this case. To get lost is to become lost or to lose one's way. The phrase indicates that the character became lost after being transformed. You could replace "got lost" with "was lost to history" (which changes the meaning), but replacing "got lost" with "was lost" sounds rather weird to me. The phrase would then indicate that the character had been transformed and was in a state of being lost, without actually drawing a link between the two.

03-14-2017 08:10 PM
"got lost" is indeed correct, and this form of its use is quite common, but it is considered bad style in formal writing. So yeah, it can be used, but to my ear it could be worded better. {shrugs} I'll go with whatever the creator decides .. odds are I'll never see the message anyway. ;)

(another after-thought: maybe its usage is fine, but I've still got the memories of my English teachers trying to beat me into not using "got" in this way.) :p

03-15-2017 03:22 PM
Grond is correct, but I would add that "Got lost" is a bit strange in itself; it means to physically lose one's way. The game summary sentence as it stands implies that the character turned into a demi-lich and then wandered around unable to find their destination.

To make the game summary congruent with the final message, I believe it should change to "was transformed into a demi-lich and lost to history..." ("was" is better than "got" in this context, and is implied by the 1st "was"; a 2nd is unnecessary).

+ Reply