Multiple equipment outfits.
issueid=2215 07-06-2013 11:22 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Stingray1: 97
Multiple equipment outfits.

I often end up having 2 to 6 different 'outfits'.

Here are some I use most often(even more, depending on class and items found):

1. Melee fighting
2. Missile combat
3. Travelling(in dungeons)
4. Spellcasting

5. Even one for travelling in the wilderness, but not used as much as the above.

I was wondering whether there could be a shortcut added to quickly change between these different 'outfits', rather than having to find each piece of equipment in inventory every time.

Obviously the usual turns will pass while re-equipping.

Cursed equipment will also have to be taken into consideration. Also order of original equipping, for example girdle over or under body armour. The easiest way would probably be some sort of macro that link to the items in inventory.

An example of shortcut keys could be; the usual 'i' followed by '0-9' for the selected 'outfit'. Re-equipping only takes effect upon pressing 'z'. So, if the player decides he would rather keep the current equipment equipped, (s)he can just press corresponding number key and 'z'.

I hope everyone understands what I'm asking for, if uncertain, I'll try to use different words.

Footnote - I would certainly play a lot more if this is implemented, currently I have to take very long breaks as even equipping just a weapon on each encounter is too much to handle for long.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2215
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 15
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 7
Votes against this feature 13
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-06-2013 02:11 PM
I feel like this is just too complex a coding bit to have, when you just want to sort through and pick a few items. You're not going to be carrying a ton of gear around with you, ideally, so swapping outfits would still mean you'd need to go to the place you're keeping stuff, pick it up, and keep on going. It wouldn't save that much time, and would really just encourage carrying around more than you need to carry around. The idea is that you're *not* supposed to be hauling around tons of luggage, primarily.

07-06-2013 03:00 PM
Ancient Member
I think you might be misunderstanding. I'll give an example.

Say, while I'm just walking:
I'll have a helm of teleportation,
Necklace of the eye,
Weapon of the eagle,
Black dragon-hide gauntlets,
Seven league boots
Equiped

Now, when I spot an opponent and decide to engage in melee:

I'll equip my eternium cap,
amulet of defense,
Weapon of mass destruction,
"Ironfist",
Boots of nice DV/PV.

After the encounter I'll re-equip the first set.

So, all these items I'll carry around.

07-06-2013 03:10 PM
Oh god yes please. The priority of this RFE should be bumped up to at least a 2 or 3.

07-06-2013 03:33 PM
Ancient Member
This feature would be a bit over the top IMHO... not voting against, as obviously it wouldn't hurt (although I wouldn't use it much), but there are quite a lot of interface improvements that I'd like to see in the game before this.

07-06-2013 04:55 PM
Again, though, I don't see it being difficult to equip these items manually. It's not as though you will be carrying the entirety of your armor collection around with you. You'll be carrying two or three items, which means just a quick swap out.

Now, making it so that you can say 'replace <item> with <item>' instead of having to manually take off and put on wouldn't be a bad thing, IMO. But I don't see the need for 'programmed suits'.

07-06-2013 05:11 PM
Ancient Member
This RFE is for convenience sake yes. Rather than pressing 20-30 or so keys on each encounter, I'll press six.

i 1 z kill monster i 2 z.

editty

@Karusa, I most certainly am always carrying my melee, missile and travelling(in dungeon) equipment. Unless I attempt a naked man challenge.

I need them to fight monsters and walk around. :P

Those 2-3 items swap outs becomes tedious very soon. So, much that I often only swap 1 item or none, or have to take a break.

I'm no programmer, but don't think it's too much to do. Might be totally wrong. I mean, you just take the current 'i'nventory screen and make 10 of them accessed through numbers 0-9.

07-07-2013 05:53 AM
Ancient Member
I think what would be really ideal is a generic macro/quickmark system. Let any skill, item, ability, or just set of keystrokes, be bound and repeatable. I'd greatly prefer this over a piecemeal solution where I can now bind a full suit of armor but can't bind a potion of extra healing.

07-14-2013 07:23 AM
Ancient Member
I see ppl voted against this feature?!

Somebody that understands can maybe explain what I'm asking for a bit better?

Please.

Edit - As this is a request for the enhancement of the inventory UI, I've raised the priority slightly.

Jellyslayer is making a very good added suggestion, especially for herbs.

08-01-2013 10:19 PM
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
I think what would be really ideal is a generic macro/quickmark system. Let any skill, item, ability, or just set of keystrokes, be bound and repeatable. I'd greatly prefer this over a piecemeal solution where I can now bind a full suit of armor but can't bind a potion of extra healing.
This would be great. I second this idea.

12-16-2013 07:06 PM
I second Stingray's idea. I myself have some experience with programming, and although it would be quite some work it shouldn't be difficult. The work is mainly in the details: cursed items, switching to an outfit page with the same or a different body armor (thus taking more turns) et cetera.
I'd say make 10 outfit pages instead of 1, and hide only the currently equipped items from the inventory. The others show up with "(equipped)" behind them; thus one item can be equipped in multiple outfit pages, and items equipped in a different page can still be used, dropped, damaged et cetera. Upon pressing 'z' from the equipment page, it should calculate the necessary equipment changes (hands first, gloves next, bracers after and then the rest) and prompt an error if any cursed items need to be unequipped.

Whoever doesn't like the feature for whatever reason doesn't have to use it; why downvote?

Saving sets of keystrokes wouldn't be that good; if you pick up new items, drop items or you run out of potions it would do the wrong thing (equipping the wrong item, drinking the wrong potion...). If you don't want that, the game will need to search for specific items or skills - and applying several skills should be done in a sequence whereas changing several pieces of equipment should be done in one turn/command. Anyway I'd guess that this would be a much more complicated piece of code than some extra equipment pages.

12-16-2013 07:57 PM
Ancient Member
Saving sets of keystrokes wouldn't be that good; if you pick up new items, drop items or you run out of potions it would do the wrong thing (equipping the wrong item, drinking the wrong potion...). If you don't want that, the game will need to search for specific items or skills - and applying several skills should be done in a sequence whereas changing several pieces of equipment should be done in one turn/command. Anyway I'd guess that this would be a much more complicated piece of code than some extra equipment pages.
Well, in practice, this functionality is already in place via "repeat last command". It would just be that a particular sequence gets logged into memory in a more longterm way (Sage already has this capability, IIRC). It's easier for it to get screwed up as a macro rather than as a functional quickmark, I agree, and a system that tracked particular items or skills would certainly be better. But at least I can certainly imagine situations where I'd like to be able to press a single button to drink a potion of extra healing or use a spenseweed or whatever, whereas I can't imagine ever needing this feature at all. In terms of value per unit hour of TB's time to implement, I'd much rather have the former than the latter, even if it requires considerable more work to code it. Like Al-Khwarizmi, I didn't vote against, because I guess it would be nice to have, maybe, sometimes, but even priority 7 seems very high for this.

12-17-2013 03:52 AM
Ancient Member
Having that many different outfits is pretty absurd (at least, if you're switching a lot as you claim). I think a far better suggestion would be to focus less on min-maxing and more on playing the game..

12-17-2013 04:06 AM
Ancient Member
Hmmm, a little off topic, but I think the outfit-change goes too fast at the moment. One turn for each changed piece would be better in my eyes... feels more realistic and would add an interesting tactical aspect when you have to chose which item to change first.
The suggested feature only makes sense when you are able to change more or less everything (except armor) at the same time, but I'd rather like to see that changed, so I do neither vote for nor or against this idea.

12-17-2013 06:22 AM
Ancient Member
@Sirtheta Absurd is you trying to tell me how to play ADOM. I enjoy min-maxing and not hack-n-slash that is fun for me. I have done numerous challenges ranging from naked unwielding man, equipment restrictions, RNG man. To force myself to not doing equipment swapping.

The fact is I have found the items that gives my characters bonusses when it does help them, it just feels wrong for me to not use those items. Sorry for wanting to play ADOM the way I like it and not the way you think it should be played.

P.S. There can be even more than 7 sets, because we have 10 fingers, 10 should work.

I shall lower the priority again.

12-17-2013 08:02 AM
This would be beneficial only to those few, who like to min-max to the fullest. Personally i don't find this useful enough to spend hours of valuable programming time. I rather see it spent on other improvements, like new quests and locations.

12-17-2013 11:12 AM
Quote Originally Posted by GordonOverkill
Hmmm, a little off topic, but I think the outfit-change goes too fast at the moment. One turn for each changed piece would be better in my eyes... feels more realistic and would add an interesting tactical aspect when you have to chose which item to change first.
The suggested feature only makes sense when you are able to change more or less everything (except armor) at the same time, but I'd rather like to see that changed, so I do neither vote for nor or against this idea.
That's something I could agree to as well. It would also make it less complicated to include this feature in Jellyslayer's idea, I think.

12-17-2013 11:35 AM
Ancient Member
I have stated this before. I don't think this is hours work, why do you think so? It is simply having 10 copies of the 'i'nventory screen and taking cursed and missing items into consideration. I'm almost certain every item generated in a game has a 'code name', so they are easy to link to equipment slots.

How can you predict how many will use this, I'll be so arrogant to say that some of the nay sayers here will even use it.

12-17-2013 12:38 PM
Ancient Member
It is definitely a nice feature if the time-consumption of changing equipment stays like it is now. But this time consumption makes little sense in my eyes. How should a char be able to change helmet, necklace, gloves, girdle, weapon, shield, shoes and rings in the blink of an eye and right back a second later? I'd definitely suggest to expand the time-consumption to one turn per item, which would (in my eyes) be alot more atmospheric, add another intersting tactical aspect to the game and make this idea obsolete. And even if this is not changed, at least the tedium of the current method creates kind of a feeling for the effort that the char has to put into his superquick outfit-change.

12-17-2013 01:20 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
@Sirtheta Absurd is you trying to tell me how to play ADOM. I enjoy min-maxing and not hack-n-slash that is fun for me. I have done numerous challenges ranging from naked unwielding man, equipment restrictions, RNG man. To force myself to not doing equipment swapping.
If you enjoy min-maxing, that's great (for you) - and if you want to play that way, I could care less. That doesn't mean the game should be restructured around your playing style (or that such is feasible), which is something you don't seem to understand in any of your suggestions.

Relatedly, I call BS on this because you state in your first post: "I would certainly play a lot more if this is implemented, currently I have to take very long breaks as even equipping just a weapon on each encounter is too much to handle for long." That's practically the definition of not enjoying something. If you stopped trying to min-max on every encounter, you wouldn't have to take a break from ADOM.

(also that's doubly hilarious since you're all about berating others for not playing the "right" way!)

12-17-2013 02:25 PM
Ancient Member
Obviously each of us will mostly create RFEs for something we personally want in the game. I am not the only one wanting this UI improvement.

If I stop min-maxing I will likely get bored with ADOM and stop playing all together. My entire life I have been, I'm scared to even use this word, perfectionistic and that is me.

If I prefer to play ADOM in my way, why try to force me away from that habit? It's not detrimental to me, quite the contrary.

Voting no on this RFE is being malevolent, IMHO. The only purpose of this RFE is to make equipment switching less tedious for some players.

It promotes good practices, not any bad ones. Getting maximum to hit and damage during missile combat, melee combat, getting the most from magic, shorter game time passing, protecting your PC and items and more gold from shops are good things. Name them if you think there are any.

BTW, you can continue playing in your style even if this gets implimented. And I don't recall ever berating anyone for not playing ADOM not "right", be so kind as to link those posts.

+ Reply