Items not auto-identifying
issueid=4335 06-15-2016 10:11 AM
Number of reported issues by Harkila: 154
Items not auto-identifying
Items on ground still show their unidentified form despite being already identified.

Certain items, in particular ones which have stat modifiers, are not correctly identifying when you find them. At least the following ones are problematic:

Amulet of the cold heart
Amulet of perseverance
Amulet of defense
Amulet of protection
Necklace of the silver tongue
Bracers of protection

I have in my current game found and ID'd all of these, but when I find new ones on the ground, they show their unidentified format (gray amulet, bronze amulet, platinum amulet, silver amulet, shining necklace etc) every time. Shouldn't they be showing what they are?

I suppose the issue here is the stat modifiers. They should presumably not be visible when you find a new one, but surely the item on the ground should be "Amulet of perseverance" instead of "bronze amulet" if it's already been successfully identified? And then after wearing or re-identifying, it would appear as "Amulet of perseverance {Wi+3}.

It's a pretty annoying bug which makes one spend scrolls of identify in vain, just to notice that meh, it wasn't a new amulet after all. (Yes yes I know, there's the list of identified items to circumvent it, but using it is not part of the normal gameplay flow.)

EDIT: Looks like there are also other similar items, which do not contain stat modifiers. At least bracers of regeneration.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4335
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 6
Affected Version ADOM r65 (v2.1.0)
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 2
Users unable to reproduce bug 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-15-2016 10:45 AM
Ancient Member
Presumably anything with variable modifier should not autoID (so stuff like metal boots autoId in 1.1.1 was a bug (presumably fixed) adnd stat modifying amulets no autoID is intended behavior).
http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1233

While it might not be a bug, I don't like behavior honestly.

06-15-2016 06:30 PM
I think it still should auto-ID as far as what it does, not necessarily how strong it is. I mean, the ID is known already in the ID list also. It's just an UI annoyance to not reveal what it is.

06-15-2016 07:53 PM
Ancient Member
I've always felt amulet of light should auto-ID.

06-16-2016 08:04 AM
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
I've always felt amulet of light should auto-ID.
I have always thought that the amulets and all other magical items are not working unless you wear them, i.e. they need appropriate interaction with a living being to function. Otherwise, you should be able to e.g. use an amulet of light as a flare, which would sort of be fun, but probably not thematically suitable for Adom. :)

06-16-2016 09:17 PM
@Harkila: Even if you wear an amulet of light, it still doesn't auto-ID itself, even though it should be *REALLY* obvious what it is. Same with a few other items, which is just... strange.

Now, of course, I'm not proposing that all amulets be auto-ID'd, just things with painfully obvious effects should be. Refer to Blasphemous's reply in this thread: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1233. I feel it makes a lot of sense in regards to partial/full ID's.

06-17-2016 10:56 AM
Quote Originally Posted by daft inquisitor
@Harkila: Even if you wear an amulet of light, it still doesn't auto-ID itself, even though it should be *REALLY* obvious what it is. Same with a few other items, which is just... strange.

Now, of course, I'm not proposing that all amulets be auto-ID'd, just things with painfully obvious effects should be.
Ok. I recalled that amulets of light would autoidentify. I agree that the completely obvious ones should ID.

+ Reply