Rune covered trident doesn't use correct energy cost when thrown
issueid=4317 05-24-2016 06:07 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blank4u47: 29
Rune covered trident doesn't use correct energy cost when thrown

As said in title, throwing the RCT uses the energy cost for polearms, instead of from the thrown spears skill. It still trains the thrown spears skill however.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4317
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All Steam Versions
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM r64 (v2.0.3)
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-24-2016 03:36 PM
Ancient Member
This is true of all thrown weapons that have a separate thrown category, not just the RCT specifically.

There was a thread earlier suggesting that it may also affect to-hit and damage, IIRC.

05-24-2016 04:25 PM
Ancient Member
If it was a recent thread, it was me who posted it. But with all the other thrown weapons, the game takes the best value. In this case, the game only takes the melee value, not the thrown category value.

05-24-2016 05:11 PM
Ancient Member
It seems to me that it should always take the missile value. Otherwise, it makes no sense to have a thrown spears/axes/hammers category at all.

05-24-2016 05:38 PM
Ancient Member
I agree. Also the thrown whips and 2handed swords should be considered a bug too.

01-04-2017 10:09 PM
Ancient Member
This post is based on my tests in r69.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
There was a thread earlier suggesting that it may also affect to-hit and damage, IIRC.
This does not appear to be the case. EDIT: Except for melee weapons with no associated thrown weapon skill, see below.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47
If it was a recent thread, it was me who posted it. But with all the other thrown weapons, the game takes the best value. In this case, the game only takes the melee value, not the thrown category value.
This does not appear to be the case for any thrown weapons. Thrown weapons which are classed as melee weapons (battle axe, rune-covered trident, scalpel, etc) use the melee weapon skill value for energy cost, while thrown weapons which are classed as missiles (dagger of returning, spear of returning, javelins of death, etc) use the thrown weapon skill value for energy cost.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
It seems to me that it should always take the missile value. Otherwise, it makes no sense to have a thrown spears/axes/hammers category at all.
Agreed.

01-06-2017 01:27 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Grond

This does not appear to be the case for any thrown weapons. Thrown weapons which are classed as melee weapons (battle axe, rune-covered trident, scalpel, etc) use the melee weapon skill value for energy cost, while thrown weapons which are classed as missiles (dagger of returning, spear of returning, javelins of death, etc) use the thrown weapon skill value for energy cost.

I had indeed tested this by throwing whips and swords which used the melee values for to hit and damage. I however did not test extensively for thrown melee weapons which have a skill category. Or at least I can't find my notes :/

01-06-2017 05:32 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47
I had indeed tested this by throwing whips and swords which used the melee values for to hit and damage. I however did not test extensively for thrown melee weapons which have a skill category. Or at least I can't find my notes :/
Thrown weapons with no associated ranged skill are interesting. Their ranged to-hit and damage goes up with ranks in the melee skill, but the values are not the to-hit and damage numbers of the melee skill; instead you get +1 to-hit and +1 damage per rank in the melee skill.

So, to summarize:
Thrown energy cost - Determined by melee weapon skill rank if the item is classed as a weapon; determined by ranged weapon skill rank if the item is classed as a missile.
Thrown to-hit/damage - Determined by ranged weapon skill if there is such an associated skill (but see 4661); determined by melee weapon skill rank if there is no associated ranged skill (+1 to-hit, +1 damage per rank).

+ Reply