Permacrash
issueid=4764 06-06-2017 10:38 PM
Number of reported issues by Wigdaddy: 12
Permacrash
Game crashes on startup in MacOS current, even after deletion and reinstallation.

Been playing this game for 20 years. Never seen anything like this.

The game will not open at all on my machine anymore. I have deleted the program and reinstalled it several times over the past few weeks, but the same crash always happens. Even previous versions of the game now crash immediately upon attempting to open them.

There was no specific event associated with the start of this problem that I noticed — the game was simply working one day and stopped the next. It started crashing around the time I updated to MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 (very approximately), but that might just be a red herring.

After searching these forums for a similar problem and finding none, I turned to the Adom Facebook page to see if anyone knew how to fix it.

As you can see, the Creator himself was stumped by this problem, so I promised to post it here.

Please let me know if any additional information is needed. In particular, Adom itself does not even get the chance to generate a stack dump, but I could copy over the data MacOS generates in the Problem Report window shown above if it would be helpful. (Update: text file attached)

Thanks,

Benjamin Keller
Issue Details
Issue Number 4764
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Mac OS X >= 10.5 (NotEye)
Status Fixed
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version ADOM r69 (v2.2.3)
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-07-2017 07:48 AM
Please show the data in the problem report. Maybe there's some weird dependency conflict with other applications?

06-07-2017 01:16 PM
Attached.

06-07-2017 06:12 PM
Tried opening up the app package and running the executable directly. Here's the screenshot of the terminal window before the game crashed as usual. There are a couple of errors there...

06-07-2017 10:56 PM
Update: Based on what I could parse of the contents of the above, I tried installing the ASCII-only version. It works fine, aside from the fact that I can't maximize the window for some reason. The problem therefore appears to have something to do with NotEye.

06-19-2017 02:16 AM
Ancient Member
The issue appears to be that ADOM is unable to open the window for some reason, probably due to incorrect saved configuration. Two things to do:

(1) Have you tried deleting (or editing) the NotEye config file? On my OSX computer it is /Users/username/.adom.steam/config-adom.noe -- you only say that you have reinstalled the game, so it appears that this file might have stayed intact.

(2) NotEye should be able to recover from a bad config, but apparently it does not because of a bug -- you could also try finding the file common/viewmodes.noe in the package and editing it (line 276, as the error message suggests):
res = openwindow(Gfx, D.xscrsize.x, D.xscrsize.y, flag, renflags)
while it should be
res = openwindow(Gfx, D.xscrsize.x, D.xscrsize.y, flag, renflags, D.windowpos.x, D.windowpos.y)

I would guess either (1) or (2) will fix the problem, but it might be something more serious.

10-10-2017 12:18 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Zeno
(1) Have you tried deleting (or editing) the NotEye config file? On my OSX computer it is /Users/username/.adom.steam/config-adom.noe -- you only say that you have reinstalled the game, so it appears that this file might have stayed intact.
This did the trick! Thanks Zeno! Sorry it took me so long to respond — ended up getting addicted to ASCII Adom all over again. Then Release 77 came out, and all of the sudden I felt this pressing need to take action... :)

Still have no idea what caused the bug to begin with, but at least we now know there's a workaround!

+ Reply