Introduce delay between `S`aving operations
issueid=3691 04-14-2015 08:29 AM
Number of reported issues by harvester.400: 4
Introduce delay between `S`aving operations
Combats save-scumming

Saving was designed to be performed only at the end of playing session.
But save-scummers would abuse them to use pools to get wish, to get good drops from first dragon killed, to ensure that altar gets generated on CoC1, etc.

Not allowing to save for 1000 turns since previous save operation would make save scumming much more difficult.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3691
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 3
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 20
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-14-2015 09:25 AM
Ancient Member
What is the point? If people want to save scum, they will, you can't prevent that.
Yet another pointless and harmful RFE from you.

Consider this:
What if you started playing and a hundred turns into the game, it turns out you need to go somewhere for a couple of hours and you have to turn off your computer.
You cannot save your game so you lose the character. What ridiculous idea is that?
Penalizing honest players to prevent a small fraction of other players from using save scumming? This is unacceptable.
Saving was designed to save the progress and resume later, it doesn't mean an end to playing session.
Often, you are forced to stop the session and resume a few minutes later, like a windows update requiring a computer restart.

Here's the last argument: using cheat engine, you can easily change the turncount to any desirable number and reliably continue savescumming with little more time required.
On the other hand, normal players are forced to conform to this outrageous idea of saving the game no more often than every 1000 turns. Preposterous.

04-14-2015 04:14 PM
I never savescum.
There are plenty of times, though, when I boot up ADOM, but quickly get called off by real-life duties that force me to stop playing a few minutes (or sometimes less) in. In fact, this is specifically what I play ADOM for - when I have time to dedicate to gaming I play games that I'm 'locked into', like starcraft or some MOBAs. I specifically enjoy ADOM because I'm not tied into a playing session here.

This suggestion is terrible.

Savescumming isn't a bad thing harvester.400. If people want to savescum, let them. They're not harming anyone!

04-15-2015 09:28 AM
Accidentially voted Yes :) Please threat it as No.

I'm strongly against. I don't want to lose my character if urgently need to leave the game but 1000 turns haven't passed yet.

04-17-2015 09:23 AM
I too think this is a bad idea. Players should be able to save whenever they want. ..I have a life and family, and sometimes I start up a game and only get a few turns into it before real life intrudes. Sometimes I then get to the end of the day and it's time to shut-down, and I'm nowhere near x turns played. Also I sometimes play it at work - naturally work issues that crop up will take priority. So when I get to the end of the day I want to save and take the save-game home, whether I've played 5 turns or 500. (I, quite frequently, would be less than 1000 turns.)

Let the save-scummer's do what they want. It's a single-player game - their (scummed) achievements don't affect yours. I sure as heck don't want restrictions put in to restrict them, as this would sure as heck affect me. {voted against}

12-26-2015 07:33 PM
The Creator
I just don't like this. Quite to the contrary we even have added a means to auto-save more often.

01-15-2016 07:21 AM
Saving is at root a way to ensure your character and game is not lost if you have to leave the computer for any reason or any length of time, and the auto-saves were added to ensure the game is retrievable in the case of crashes and malfunctions as well (and their addition has been very welcome!). While it's an exploitable feature, it's a necessary one. Story Mode should remove the need for scumming to the same extent.

+ Reply