The Underdog
issueid=1736 01-13-2013 05:37 PM
Number of reported issues by Urn: 6
The Underdog
For the upcoming achievement system

A possible achievement that could be implemented would be "The Underdog". Basically, if you beat the game at an experience level under 50, you are awarded this achievement (which could give a score boost or something, I don't know exactly what TB is planning with achievements). The lower your level, the proportionately greater the achievement.

NOTE: Originally posted as "David vs. Goliath". Proposed title edited in accordance with community suggestions.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1736
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM r54
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 8
Votes against this feature 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-13-2013 07:24 PM
Ancient Member
I don't like this idea. While it could be cool for, say, level 1 bards, it basically just encourages not clearing D:50 (taking the cheap way out) or benefits trolls/other slow-gaining-exp races.

01-13-2013 09:00 PM
Ancient Member
Agree with Theta. Clearing the game below level 50 is not that hard. Clearing WAY below 50 might be worth an achievement...

01-13-2013 10:41 PM
Ancient Member
Level 1 bards are definitely a challenge worth recording. Or say, finishing the game at below experience level 10.

01-13-2013 11:40 PM
Ancient Member
To be an achievement it should be for under level 30. And definitely no biblical references - "The Underdog" is a much better generic term.

01-14-2013 01:02 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
To be an achievement it should be for under level 30. And definitely no biblical references - "The Underdog" is a much better generic term.
Under 30 works too. Or wherever the cutoff needs to be to make it a legitimate challenge.

01-14-2013 01:32 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Urn
Under 30 works too. Or wherever the cutoff needs to be to make it a legitimate challenge.
Not every challenge needs to be supremely challenging.
Bronze level: under 45
Silver level: under 40
Gold level: under 35

01-14-2013 01:33 AM
Keep in mind that "achievements" on systems like Steam need to be difficult, but reasonably achievable. That is, they need to be challenges that one would expect most players to be able to do after putting some time into the game. They shouldn't be the sort of challenge that only the most skilled, most experienced players could even hope to attempt.

So the question is, what's a level that it takes real effort to beat the game at, but should be achievable by any player who has managed an Ultra Ending?

01-14-2013 01:40 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Mobius
Not every challenge needs to be supremely challenging.
Bronze level: under 45
Silver level: under 40
Gold level: under 35
Hey, I like that! Only let's make it more thematic. Something like:
Bronze: under 45
Silver: under 40
Gold: under 35
Platinum: under 30
Mithril: under 25
Adamantium: under 20
Eternium: under 15

And then maybe something special for beating the game at level 1 (which could probably even theoretically only be done by a bard).

01-14-2013 02:17 AM
probably possible on a thief aswell [high initial pickpocket and roaming on D:8 after picking any protective gear that laid around ID]

then trying to get enough RoDS to afford stuff that allows accomplishing the game

01-14-2013 03:10 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn
Keep in mind that "achievements" on systems like Steam need to be difficult, but reasonably achievable. That is, they need to be challenges that one would expect most players to be able to do after putting some time into the game. They shouldn't be the sort of challenge that only the most skilled, most experienced players could even hope to attempt.

So the question is, what's a level that it takes real effort to beat the game at, but should be achievable by any player who has managed an Ultra Ending?
I can think of a couple Steam achievements that are in the latter category.

01-14-2013 08:25 AM
Ancient Member
Many of Dredmor's achievements are far from trivial to achieve, including "Have a drink with the developers".

01-14-2013 08:29 AM
Ancient Member
I don't really know how Steam works (sigh, linux), but I think it would be great to have both categories, Aielyn.

01-14-2013 11:07 AM
Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta
I don't really know how Steam works (sigh, linux), but I think it would be great to have both categories, Aielyn.
Steam is available on Linux, now. You know that, right?

The game selection is limited at the moment, but that's because it's officially still in public beta.

01-14-2013 11:39 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn
I think there should ideally be challenges of all sorts of difficulty levels, ranging from easy to near impossible.

01-14-2013 11:41 AM
Ancient Member
Hey, I like that! Only let's make it more thematic. Something like:
Bronze: under 45
Silver: under 40
Gold: under 35
Platinum: under 30
Mithril: under 25
Adamantium: under 20
Eternium: under 15

And then maybe something special for beating the game at level 1 (which could probably even theoretically only be done by a bard).
Eternium should be level 1. There are people who routinely manage this. Level 40 - 45 is not an achievement at all, that is where you end with a normal game if you don't kill all the balors.

12-27-2014 03:25 PM
Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble
Eternium should be level 1. There are people who routinely manage this. Level 40 - 45 is not an achievement at all, that is where you end with a normal game if you don't kill all the balors.
Okay -- how about this?

Bronze: under 35
Silver: under 30
Gold: under 25
Platinum: under 20
Mithril: under 15
Adamantium: under 10
Eternium: level 1

01-01-2015 02:13 PM
I got pretty far (Dwarftown) with a level 1 ME Farmer, I think you could probably win the game that way. It would just take a lot of scumming for PoEH (and potions of *stat* in general) to achieve.

There should definitely be a pacifist achievement for those who win the game without killing anything.

01-02-2015 12:01 PM
The Creator
I'm sorry for spoiling the party but for various reasons laid out in http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.c...n-in-adom.html I do not really think that this achievement (or its gradual variants) really is appropriate for ADOM.

IMHO it belongs into the category of achievements that neither teach much about the game nor enhances actual game skill (although I definitely admit that being able to finish the game on a low level implies skill). But to me it also seems to be related to intense spoiler knowledge, grinding and scumming - so I don't really think that we need it in addition to the achievements available for attaining the various endings.

On the other hand it reminds me of the fact that the community high scores (once they are there) should be sortable and filterable by many criteria, game finish status and level being two of those aspects. Thus the community scores easily could be used as a point of competition. (and the internal data structures for it already have been implemented - the actual highscore data is a lot more detailed than the stuff in the current ADOM highscore listings).

Summary: Will not be implemented.

01-09-2015 01:15 PM
There should definitely be a pacifist achievement for those who win the game without killing anything.
Totally agree!!!

+ Reply