Add "peaceful" mode / tactic setting
issueid=3777 07-26-2015 10:21 PM
Number of reported issues by ixi: 51
Add "peaceful" mode / tactic setting
ADOM gives reasons to be peaceful but doesn't provide mode / tactic to achieve this.

The problem:
I'm not quite sure since I never saw the code but currently in ADOM there is no difference between moving and attacking at all. ADOM always assumes that you want to attack even if never intended.

This produces quite illogical situations:
  1. Equip two shields and walk into darkness or get blinded. If there is a monster nearby - you'll get a message "You should wield a weapon!". Heck... Why I should? I just wanted to walk there and I see nothing on my way!
  2. Visit Terinyo. If you see a farmer on you way and you walk into him - positions will be swapped. But if try the same with Tiny Girl you'll get "Really attack the Tiny Girl?". Why the game is asking me? No, I never had such intentions! Or if I had - why the game doesn't asks me whether I want to attack farmers?
  3. As you might know if there is a monster you cannot see on your way you will attack it by moving. This has been confirmed as intentional as there is a cookie message. However it makes sense only if PC swings his weapon each time before moving or even tries to bash with his fist any potential hidden threat. It might make sense in hostile ADOM dungeons. But, heck, why there is no option to just move without testing space in front of you which is logically simpler action...

Suggested solution

Add mode or tactic setting that completely disables PC attack capabilities and so he can walk peacefully. Without attacking anything. No matter if he sees monster on his way - he would always try to move there. If he sees something there - he would try to displace or swap. If he doesn't - he would bump into that something he can't see.

Please don't force our PCs to kill everything they meet with their fists or swords without acknowledging what they're doing and don't force us, players, to put two shields on them to keep them calm or wildly chat with each empty square to ensure we don't kill a friend we can't see.

Additional thoughts:
  • This mode may require PC to remove weapons from his hands. If you don't wanna hurt anyone - remove you weapons, sounds right?
  • But this mode either shouldn't remove weapons from PC's hands at all or should ask for confirmation to remove them. Accidental activation would be very annoying if PC is automatically removing weapons from his hand a
  • Bumping into a monster must cost a turn. It's an action and gives some info to PC. Otherwise PC would be able to step back after bumping and avoid invisible monster attacks almost completely. (I'd say walking into the wall should cost turn as well but it's not that necessary.)
  • If this will be implemented as a tactic: a) from gameplay point of view it should give Coward bonuses or batter otherwise game would give a reason to use two shields with coward instead; b) from realism point of view it shouldn't give DV bonus as good as Coward gives because pieceful PC isn't prepared to be attacked.
  • If this will be implemented as mode separated from tactics that can be switched on and off - it shouldn't work while berserking just because that doesn't makes sense.

Invisibility / Darkness / Blindness are very cool features ADOM has. But if PC can't control his arms while blind - they're just broken.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3777
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version ADOM r60
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 19
Votes against this feature 5
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-30-2015 08:21 PM
Issue Changed by ixi
  • Title changed from Add "remove weapons and be peaceful" command / tactic setting to Add "peaceful" mode / tactic setting
  • summary changed from to ADOM gives reasons to be peaceful but doesn't provide mode / tactic to archive this.

07-30-2015 08:34 PM
Issue Changed by ixi
  • summary changed from ADOM gives reasons to be peaceful but doesn't provide mode / tactic to archive this. to ADOM gives reasons to be peaceful but doesn't provide mode / tactic to achieve this.

+ Reply