[RFE] Allow wishing for every skill.
issueid=2970 05-13-2014 10:14 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blasphemous: 110
[RFE] Allow wishing for every skill.

Considering the fact that most skills are wishable, would it be too much to ask for *all* skills to be wishable directly?

I'm playing a raven-born GE Mindcrafter right now, I did the druid quest to get gardening.
With 300+ blessed spense I got healing covered and I knew this was how I was going to play the moment I made this char but it begs a few questions.
The problem is that I don't have the healing skill.
I had some luck with pools and items. Got two wishes from the former, two RoDS among the latter.
Also found 2 pairs of 7LB randomly as well as AoLS. Wished for find weakness and GoGS.
So now I have two spare wishes and would like to use them to get alertness and healing skills.
But I can't.

People can argue the usefulness of some non-guaranteed skills like woodcraft or cooking.
However I don't think anybody can say that herbalism or find weakness are not desirable for any r/c combination. Those are both wishable.

Wishing for alertness yields perception increase, strangely. Perception is not a crucial attribute, if quite useful, so why not make it directly wishable?
An experienced player knows not to wish for attributes directly because you only gain ~2-5 points of increase where wishing for PoGA guarantees 9 points, though distributed evenly among all attributes.
Changing how wishing for perception works, relinquishes the spot for alertness skill.

Healing is another story but I think it would be fair to assume that a char with full health wishing for healing should not receive the "you are healed greatly" message and instead get the skill.
Instead, wishing for "health" could restore HP. Perhaps wishing for "regeneration" could grant the skill?

Now is the time when all those people will say: you want healing, do the carpenter quest. Or if you want alertness, play a dark elf or archer or whatever.
That's all nice and fine but doing carpenter quest doesn't prevent you from later wishing for gardening/herbalism.
What if I don't want to play a dark elf? For example if I have 10 wishes, that means I'm pretty much set for ultra with any char, but still unable to get either of mentioned skills even if I wanted to spend all those wishes on them. Where's the sense in that?
Doing the druid quest means that the only way to get healing skill otherwise is through an unreliable method like potions/scrolls of education (themselves wishable). If you are lucky.
Most often you are not and instead get bridge building or survival.
Making healing (and all other currently un-wishable skills) available via wish makes perfect sense, each skill is worth one wish and it doesn't break the game in any way.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2970
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Implemented
Priority 6
Suggested Version ADOM r48
Implemented Version ADOM r71 (v2.2.5)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 17
Votes against this feature 6
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-27-2016 07:19 AM
Issue Changed by adom-admin
  • Status changed from Suggested to Implemented
  • Issue marked as addressed
  • Addressed version changed from Unknown to ADOM r71 (v2.2.5)

+ Reply