Buff unicorn starsign
issueid=5759 11-22-2017 11:08 PM
Number of reported issues by Jb12323: 8
Buff unicorn starsign

Someone else wrote about this in discord and I really liked the idea so...

It's common knowledge that the unicorn starsign is among the worst, if the not worst, starsign in the game

It's also common knowledge that using anything that contains the essence of chaos and corruption also almost never ever is worth it.

So the proposal is this, make unicorn be highly resistant to these items or even immune to them. This would be thematic with the unicorn starsign already (resistant to corruption) and would make it to where people might consider taking the starsign to access items like the shield/amulet of raw steel. This would be a pretty cool aspect of the game, it would make things that are currently never used into something that could possibly be useful, and if a starsign like Raven can grant access to a really powerful artifact it doesn't seem like it would make unicorn imbalanced.

Almost all of the artifacts that have the essence of chaos and corruption already have other drawbacks. Shield of raw steel requires loss of guthalak and what comes with him being alive, some of the artifacts doom or curse you, and everyone considers the black tome to be one of the most terrible artifacts in the game. With this change, by picking unicorn (another trade-off) it would eliminate some of these drawbacks potentially making them actually viable.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5759
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 3.0.3
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 11
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-23-2017 06:42 AM
It's an intriguing idea... although thematically, it's a bit odd that you're taking a PC with lawful tendencies then creating an in-game incentive to turn to Chaos. Therefore, I would suggest not removing the continuous corruption from these artifacts entirely. However, it does make sense that a unicorn PC could resist their influence longer, like Frodo with the One Ring, and even use them in a pinch.

Overall upvoted.

11-23-2017 07:19 AM
Upvoting as well. Maybe make it so that the first artifact you carry/wield is non-corrupting, and if you have several, anything beyond 1 still behaves normally?

11-23-2017 10:01 AM
Ancient Member
Admittedly, I first thought that this is a great idea, but then I decided to check the essence items again.

Boots of great speed, medal of Chaos, crown of Chaos, scepter of Chaos and the black tome are garbage and will not be viable even with this change.

Shield of raw steel is completely OP. Depending on the proposed change, it might break the balance of the early game to shreds.

Amulet of raw steel is a nice candidate for this change.

Chain mail of raw steel is pretty much incidental to the change thanks to its late game nature.

So while it's an interesting idea, its actual application might not be interesting enough.

11-23-2017 11:17 AM
Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_
Admittedly, I first thought that this is a great idea, but then I decided to check the essence items again.

Boots of great speed, medal of Chaos, crown of Chaos, scepter of Chaos and the black tome are garbage and will not be viable even with this change.

Shield of raw steel is completely OP. Depending on the proposed change, it might break the balance of the early game to shreds.

Amulet of raw steel is a nice candidate for this change.

Chain mail of raw steel is pretty much incidental to the change thanks to its late game nature.

So while it's an interesting idea, its actual application might not be interesting enough.
Staff of Wonder has Chaos and Corruption too, but I don't know the mechanics of how it works well enough to say for sure whether it'd be a reasonable candidate for use without it. Given the PP regen it might?

11-23-2017 02:57 PM
I would also actually suggest that the ancient scythe would not draw unicorn-borns towards chaotic.

11-23-2017 04:03 PM
Well I mean we have black unicorns, so maybe it can go that way as well :p.

I think it’s an interesting idea, as the Unicorn sign is the weakest of all the signs and could use something interesting.

11-24-2017 08:41 PM
I'd be happy to buff chaos resistance provided Unicorn at least a bit. To make it at least situationally worthy.

12-11-2017 05:37 AM
I would like to see this implemented in some manner that doesn't completely break the game with above-mentioned items. As Jarinex says, Unicorns can certainly be corrupted, and are very powerful afterward as well as before. The sign needs something.

+ Reply