[RFE] Possibility of making Bone Golems for chaotic necromancers / advanced use of bones
issueid=3364 10-25-2014 11:09 AM
Number of reported issues by emilus: 48
[RFE] Possibility of making Bone Golems for chaotic necromancers / advanced use of bones

Possibility of making Bone Golems for chaotic necromancers / making advanced use of bones.

In game we collect bones which we can use for healing skeletons by 1d6 points or taming dogs.

I suggest to tweak bones a bit to be more usefull for chaotic necromancy.

EG:

1. Add bone golem to necromancer undead slave list.

2. bone golem could be created from bones. (lets assume 50 bones and level 20 for caster is minimum requirement for making one)

3. HP of created golems will depend on number of stacked bones.

4. Creating bone golem from:

a) Cursed bones will give bone golem 0.5 hp per bone. (rounded down)

b) Uncursed bones will give bone golem 1 hp per bone.

c) Blessed bones will give bone golem 2hp per bone and ability to regenerate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suggested example procedure:

Requirements:

- Necormancer minimum 20 LVL and 30 WI
- at least 50 bones (B/U/C)
- weird scroll
- boar skull
- potion of troll blood
- being in special room "This room seems to vibrate with life"...

Procedure:

1. Bring weird tome to malicious Doctor in High mountain Village.

2. Get scroll of construct creation / weird scroll as reward.

3. Read that scroll to learn new recipe.

4. Dip boar skull in potion of troll blood

5. Using alchemy combine skull with heap of bones. That will create 'strange heap of bones / weird corpse'

6. Using necromancy Try to create skeleton or skeletal warrior from resulting item...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also healing skeleton slaves / bone based creatures by giving them bones is currently ineffective. (currently it can restore only 1-6 hp per bone)

I suggest to add some bonus values to dice roll based on bone status and tweak current dice roll a bit:

EG:

n = bonus (could be 3,4,5...)

1. blessed bone will heal nd8+n Hit points. (for n=4 it will add 8 - 36 HP)

2. uncursed bone will heal 1d8+n HP. (for n=4 it will add 5 - 12 HP)

3. cursed bone will heal 1d8-n HP. (for n=4 it will add 1 - 4 HP)

NOTE: ...last time I managed to collect only little above ~200 bones - that allowed me to heal my skeletal warrior ONCE almost fully (~800 HP) and when I play I really grind a lot and collect every item possible...

Also It would be extremely cool if necromencers with high smithing skill have possibility to create from wood and blessed bones... items listed below:

- bone bracers (+TO bonus)
- bone helmet (+HP regeneration)
- skull staff(+WI or MA bonus)

Issue Details
Issue Number 3364
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 3
Suggested Version ADOM r53
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 9
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-25-2014 02:39 PM
Ancient Member
I generally like the idea but I can already hear JellySlayer's heavy footsteps in the corridor: *THUMB* *THUMB*.
"Thou shalt not introduce crafting to thy game!"
The greater Jelly suddenly blocks your keyboard with a large lump of peanut butter.
No offense intended Jelly ;)

10-25-2014 10:49 PM
Ancient Member
It's... possible... I may have made some disparaging remarks about crafting in the past ;)

Making bone golems is a cool idea for necros. I think them having 200 HP and regeneration and pretty good healing from the PC would make them pretty powerful compared to a lot of other undead you can create, though. It's not like getting 99 blessed bones is hard.

10-27-2014 07:59 PM
Nonnak, the master necromancer had created one to protect his treasure,
so i think possibility of making one BG should be avaliable only for experienced chaotic necromancers on certain character level and willpower level.
Creating BG should give PC some penalties like:

- huge mana drop
- very long time of assembling BG
- possible failure even with necromancy at 100
- limit to only one BG at time.

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/...pe-d40qq61.jpg <--- picture for interest :)

Vote if you like idea :)

10-27-2014 10:41 PM
Ancient Member
Is that his...? Ehm... tail?

10-28-2014 03:06 AM
Ancient Member
As a random thought, maybe you need a boar skull for the head?

10-28-2014 10:14 AM
Nice point. Making BG shouldn't be easy:

It should utilize:
- alchemy
maybe combining stack of bones with blessed potion of troll blood will create 'very strange heap of bones' which later can be used with necromancy like humanoid corpses ?
And creating skeleton/skeletal warrior from that heap will generate message 'You feel like you could make something more powerfull than that. Do you want to try ? (Y/N)'

... to make thing even harder message above will only apear when we try to animate 'strange heap' in special room eg: 'This room seems to vibrate with life'...

11-11-2014 08:17 AM
I think if creating BG will be ever implemented... then BG will be the only slave that necro could take to TOEF and IC beacouse of BG FIRE/COLD immunities/resistances.

11-11-2014 05:02 PM
It's an interesting idea but the bone golem in the graveyard isn't that tough. Why would anyone want to make one?

11-11-2014 05:54 PM
Ancient Member
NOTE: ...last time I managed to collect only little above ~200 bones - that allowed me to heal my skeletal warrior ONCE almost fully (~800 HP) and when I play I really grind a lot and collect every item possible...
Did you fight skeleton patrols in the wilderness? You could probably get 80+ bones from one encounter.

11-11-2014 06:49 PM
Quote Originally Posted by BenMathiesen
It's an interesting idea but the bone golem in the graveyard isn't that tough. Why would anyone want to make one?
I think golem created by player could be bit tougher but not much.
Maybe more attacks per turn ? More critical hit chance ?
As I stated above Hit points could depend on quantity and status of used bones.
So if you manage to collect 200 blessed bones in mid game you could have powerfull 400 HP golem with self-regeneration ability.

Reasons why anyone want to make one:

- beacouse he look awesome :)
- making one could be exciting, challenging and fun task.
- He could be trained (leveled UP) in smc/dh/dh2/animated forest/etc later on.
- you could heal him with bones
- you could pet him and play games :)
- you could take him to dangerous areas like Ice Queen Domain and Tower of Eternal Flames without worrying of damaging him by heat / cold..
- he will be strong enough to fight with annoying shruggingeverythinngyoucouldcastatthem fire grues/fire deamons, and later he could be used as meatshield for ACW.
- did i mention that he look awesome ?
- He will be excellent mid-late game support slave tank.

11-11-2014 06:52 PM
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
Did you fight skeleton patrols in the wilderness? You could probably get 80+ bones from one encounter.
I was unlucky to meet them... maybe I've skipped accidentically one.

11-11-2014 08:14 PM
Ancient Member
You can only find them on the road between Pyramid and DDL. They're pretty common, though.

11-11-2014 08:36 PM
You can only find them on the road between Pyramid and DDL. They're pretty common, though.
I was always avoiding that 'road'...
...good to know that I can only meet them there thanks !

11-12-2014 05:09 PM
Can the recipe for making one be given by the mad doctor if you have enough bones in your backpack?
"The mad doctor eyes your inventory curiously. 'You've quite the collection of human bits!' The mad doctor takes a book out of his pocket and madly scrolls through the pages, 'Ah, I know something that you can make from those!'"

Quest to create Bone Golem given. :)

11-12-2014 06:19 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Krough Firender
Can the recipe for making one be given by the mad doctor if you have enough bones in your backpack?
"The mad doctor eyes your inventory curiously. 'You've quite the collection of human bits!' The mad doctor takes a book out of his pocket and madly scrolls through the pages, 'Ah, I know something that you can make from those!'"

Quest to create Bone Golem given. :)
Or maybe we could get recipe from malicious doctor ? He is more involved in making golems especially flesh ones. Maybe giving him weird tome will cause him to drop recipe ?

11-12-2014 06:41 PM
Suggested scenario:
"Malicious doctor grabs weird tome with his shaking hands. Suddenly he started nervously making strange notes... malicious doctor gaze at you with great fear in his eyes...malicious doctor suddenly collapses...strange scroll seems to be lying on the ground."

11-16-2014 08:13 PM
I have created very simple formula for evaluating statistics of created bone golem :

Stats are mainly influenced by number of used bones, bones status(B/U/C) and level of golem.

Base staticics of 1 level Bone golem are taken from Bone Golem monster memory.(and my experience)

IMPORTANT:
Things to note / consider: (for those who think that bone golem will be overpowered)

1. Its hard to have lot of blessed bones beacouse you can dip only max 4 bones in holy water and blessed bones are rare.

2. Starting level of created golem can only be equal to danger level of dungeon used to create golem
(SPECIAL ROOM with: 'vibrate with life...' message). So its not possible to make super high level golem in smc if there is
no such room in SMC.

3. bone golem can be leveled up like regular undead slave. (no speed increase when leveling-up)

4. I think bone golem should be healed ONLY by giving him bones (B/U/C).
(Not long ago I've tested that currently hostile bone golem can be healed by healing spells)

5. Number of bones which we can use for creating golem is limited to MIN 50 and MAX 255. (max could be less...)

6. They dont adjust in power like other slaves.

Example code is written in PHP so Feel free to tweak and experiment.

Link to PHP script with formula below:

http://phpfiddle.org/main/code/2ar2-kgkz (press f9 for testing)

11-16-2014 10:28 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by emilus
I have created very simple formula for evaluating statistics of created bone golem :

Stats are mainly influenced by number of used bones, bones status(B/U/C) and level of golem.

Base staticics of 1 level Bone golem are taken from Bone Golem monster memory.(and my experience)

IMPORTANT:
Things to note / consider: (for those who think that bone golem will be overpowered)

1. Its hard to have lot of blessed bones beacouse you can dip only max 4 bones in holy water and blessed bones are rare.
Blessed bones are no rarer than other blessed items. It shouldn't take too long to get this from skeleton patrols. Then again, 255 uncursed bones is trivial to get, and you get a pretty strong golem just from that. For comparison, a 255 bone golem would probably be quite a bit stronger than a lich. Granted, you can only get the bone golem if you happen across a special room, which limits its availability.

Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be generated in the room with the text "The skulls of many creatures are embedded in the walls. It's almost like being in the grave with them"?

11-17-2014 09:21 AM
Blessed bones are no rarer than other blessed items. It shouldn't take too long to get this from skeleton patrols. Then again, 255 uncursed bones is trivial to get, and you get a pretty strong golem just from that. For comparison, a 255 bone golem would probably be quite a bit stronger than a lich. Granted, you can only get the bone golem if you happen across a special room, which limits its availability.

Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be generated in the room with the text "The skulls of many creatures are embedded in the walls. It's almost like being in the grave with them"?
I am not sure maybe your proposition fits better for 'necromancer cave' description.

I've chose room with 'vibrate with life...' message beacouse:

1. I thought that necromancers will need additional life energy for making such advanced construct.
2. When animating corpse they use all life energy left from corpse and 'bone heap' seems to not have any life energy left so they need additional source. (potion of troll blood and room vibrating with life)

It depends how we understand/imagine necromancy. But I am open for changes and we can change RFE later when TB will be interested to implement that feature in future:)

11-21-2017 12:13 AM
Can it be like.. add new item like huge bone %(living humanoid corpe) what can be only dropped from bone golem and with 100 necromancy you just can rise only one per game (in darknight ofc) and lose 90% of you toughtness,its also balance necro in some way
Also good to think about white necromancy+metalurgy pet ideas...

+ Reply