UI/UX: Limit the available races & classes in easy mode (future standard mode)
issueid=5338 10-14-2017 12:36 AM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
UI/UX: Limit the available races & classes in easy mode (future standard mode)

ADOM in that mode only should offer the easier combinations (fighter, paladin, wizard, priest, barbarian, thief, ...) and (high elf, dwarf, human, troll, orc, gnome, ...).
Issue Details
Issue Number 5338
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 2
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.5
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone "Ease of Use" UI
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 7
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

10-14-2017 02:31 AM
I'm pretty sure Fighters and Thieves are NOT easy classes, and that Humans and High Elves and are not amongst the easier races.

(Although since newbies seem to default to Human Fighters on the notion that they will probably be easy, I think they should be made so... http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=4145)

10-14-2017 08:05 AM
Ancient Member
Uuuh...buff the fighter class then, maybe? Since it's such an obvious choice...

10-14-2017 09:23 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Ravenmore
Uuuh...buff the fighter class then, maybe? Since it's such an obvious choice...
Starting with Healing would do it.

Human/Fighter buffs were quite a contentious topic with little consensus though.

10-14-2017 09:48 AM
I'm ambivalent about this idea. The wide variety of classes and races was the first thing that attracted me to ADOM over other roguelikes, and one of the things that keeps me coming back. Why would you want to hide one of its awesome features?

Alternatively, you could display the classes in two categories:

"Common Professions": the six or eight classes that are classic archetypes and have an easy time in the early game, with embedded text suggesting that the player start with one of these.

"Unlikely Heroes": all the rest.

10-14-2017 10:19 AM
Ancient Member
Here's an interesting survey of most popular DnD race/class combos:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...haracter-rare/

Buffing the popular ones seems like a good way to go. (*puts on flameproof suit*)

That's actually in line with BenMathiasen's suggestion. Although I belive this would require making the Thief easier to start and survive with, I can already hear the outrage ;)

10-14-2017 11:10 AM
Well, there are certainly some class features that could use improving/replacing.

The fighter's first power comes to mind... I don't think I've ever been lucky enough for a 7% bonus to PV to become an actual bonus in the early game. It could just be replaced with a flat +1 to PV, which upgrades to +3. Thie thief's auto-search is cool and helpful though--a very good L6 power.

10-14-2017 11:24 AM
Ancient Member
I don't see the point with removing features. ADOM is all about variety and richness. Just highlighting the easy access races and classes for new players should be enough.

10-14-2017 06:44 PM
While I like the idea of buffing fighter (in fact a lot of classes could use a revamp of their class powers, looking at you ranger), I wouldn't buff the more challenging classes (thief) too much. IMO these classes exist to, well, challenge the player, and I'd hate to see this interesting class become too easy because new players thought thief was a good starting class =/

10-14-2017 07:44 PM
Quote Originally Posted by mtf
While I like the idea of buffing fighter (in fact a lot of classes could use a revamp of their class powers, looking at you ranger),=/
Lets not forget the poor poor druid who is shafted in their classes powers too :P

I suppose that could be another RFE (which I believe people have made previously, but haven't been looked at)

Anyways, I dont think we should limit anything for players in easy mode. Instead, I think we should highlight some good suggestions. You don't want to hide anything in the game, and I think its better to show everything ADOM has to offer.

10-17-2017 12:16 PM

+ Reply