Improve the slower combat (especially magic) on the Steam version
issueid=4264 02-04-2016 05:36 PM
Number of reported issues by Mr.PelicanPants: 10
Improve the slower combat (especially magic) on the Steam version
Speed biggest difference in steam version

I *love* the steam version and want to support it, but after an elementalist win it seems like the biggest difference between steam/ascii versions is still the speed of the game.

I was wondering if there is a way to remove the waiting buffer (and hopefully increase speed) on the bolt spells in the steam version? It draws them slow and waits for each bolt to clear, pausing a little at the end of each one. Adjusting the projectile animation speed (even to instant) doesnt seem to change anything (even projectiles).

When the battles get heavy with dragon breath or where you'd need to cast a ton of spells to clear a vault, the animations make the steam version at least 5 to 10 times slower than the ascii version and makes the battles seem like they're taking all day.
if there's another speedup option then sorry for missing it but I couldn't find anything.

I also read something about NotEye having a 15fps cap and wondering if that can be worked with at all?

Hopefully this isn't a silly request or anything - I'm not the best player, currently an irl steam game takes me at least several hours longer to beat than the ascii version

Do other people feel the same way about the combat speed/animations? Is it something that can be faster?
Issue Details
Issue Number 4264
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All with NotEye
Status Suggested
Priority 4
Suggested Version ADOM r66 (v2.2.0)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone Modernized ADOM UI
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users jt, Zeno
Tags (none)

02-04-2016 06:48 PM
It's definitely too slow in dragon vaults etc with multiple breath(bolt) attacks per turn. IIRC there's a way to turn off animations, but even if so that feels like more of a workaround.

02-04-2016 07:02 PM
Ancient Member
I'm pretty sure they are aware of the issue. For example.

I sorta wonder if NotEye redraws whole screen for every bolt animation or something like that. Well, we can just hope it is not some deeply inbuilt issue at this point (although it might, I don't have tto much knowledge about NotEye mechanics).

02-04-2016 08:00 PM
I'm not sure if by ASCII you mean pre-noteye or noteye with ASCII, but last time I was casting bolt spells in ascii noteye I noticed Magic Missile was faster than all other bolt spells, so I was casting Magic Missile most of the time just for the speedup.

02-05-2016 12:17 AM
There is an option to increase the speed of the spell animations I believe? I might be wrong...

02-05-2016 12:59 AM
Quote Originally Posted by pjsb1
There is an option to increase the speed of the spell animations I believe? I might be wrong...
Correct, you can set the speed up to '10000' ("instant") and the default is '500'. However, it does NOT seem to scale linearly; 10000 is not 20 times faster than 500, and certainly isn't instant. It is better at 10000 though.

02-05-2016 06:22 AM
Ancient Member
What affect does the Base_Delay_Factor variable in the adom.cfg file have in this regard?

02-05-2016 06:31 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
What affect does the Base_Delay_Factor variable in the adom.cfg file have in this regard?
Since versions without NotEye integration but with same config does not slow down, I would estimate as non.

02-10-2016 12:35 AM
i should mention that some things here http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...336#post107336 really improved the speed while playing on my laptop (changed vsync and updated to SDL2 renderer). maybe this version is better than we (i) think and we just need to increase the default settings, or at least make players more aware of them?

biggest two interface examples I've seen recently are the graphics settings speeding things up, as well as a lot of people asking for the ctrl+n-m trick to show their information better until the new display is learned. if possible, making new or returning players more aware of these options should really get them more into it, and less likely to run away :>

+ Reply