SMC item spawn changed?
issueid=3108 07-07-2014 11:04 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blasphemous: 110
SMC item spawn changed?

I remember that SMC used to be a very attractive location to start the game because of some initial item spawns there - I remember having chars that found eternium two-handed swords in there, just after entering, right next to the staircase.
However in the current prerelease 23, I can't replicate that.
What's even more strange is that no matter what race/class/star-sign combination I select, the only two handed weapons I keep finding there are quarterstaves and almost every time there are two of those.
Sometimes it will be a quarterstaff and a skull staff but that's rare.
There is a guaranteed blanket there of course but I don't know if it's common knowledge that a wooden shield (or sometimes small shield) as well as a cloak will also always be generated there.
Very often a scythe is generated too.
Some random assortment of one-handers (2-6 on average) will be found as well, including a virtually guaranteed broadsword and all of them can be affixed.

I have a question then, mostly to the Creator: Has anything been changed regarding SMC item spawn between pre20 and pre23?
I'm not asking about item drops from monsters there, only about items initially generated on the floor, randomly, when a player enters the dungeon.

Advanced players know of the dangers that SMC poses and sometimes deliberately spend their early levels (1-5) there, to get the blanket and find the staircase as well as level up a bit and get a few rudimentary items with 1-2 pv each.
That's what this bug report (or rfe?) is about: I think the chance to get some other nice items like eternium swords/halberds that I used to get in SMC has always been a nice high risk/high gain scenario and would hate to see it gone in the future versions.

As a side note, half of the characters I tested this with have been generated on Monday, another half on Tuesday, in case days of the week factor into the probability.
Also, both linux and windows versions have been used for this.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3108
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Not a Bug
Priority 9
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-07-2014 11:37 PM
I'm pretty sure I found at least one eternium weapon in the SMC in pr23... I don't have a svg to prove it or anything, though... =P

I know this is contrary really to the point of the bug report, but since it is being brought to the attention of the programmers I wanted to ask: is/was it a bug anyway or indeed intentional for really out-of-depth two-handers to be generated in the SMC? Sure, there's a very low chance of them being generated anyway and they do make a nice payout to the gamble of going through the SMC, but I kind of wondered if it just happens due to a mistake in the code that makes *any* two-handed weapon -- regardless of danger level -- generated instead of just those relevant to the cave's danger level.

07-08-2014 03:28 AM
I haven't noticed a change, I still find out of depth weapons there sometimes in p23. I don't know what the chance is, but I've found adamantium/eternium halberds and 2HSs, and even things like halberds of defense and 2HS of parrying. But it's definitely not guaranteed, and might even depend on what level you are when you enter.

07-08-2014 08:02 AM
Ancient Member
When I found eternium stuff in SMC, it was with a char lvl 1 in the previous versions so char lvl has no impact.

07-09-2014 09:49 PM
The Creator
I don't see any particular changes to item generation in the SMC. It might have been a side effect of some other change but even for that nothing in particular comes to mind.

07-10-2014 06:28 PM
It's anecdotal, but I've noticed the same thing as Blasph. I frequently find the exact same items as him in the SMC - skull staff, wooden shield, scythe. Really odd, never thought much of it.

07-11-2014 07:59 AM
Ancient Member
Apparently heikki found an eternium two-hander two tiles away from the staircase, yesterday.
I've seen that myself when I spectated him on the UK server.
I rolled ~10 chars and each and every one found 2 quaterstaves, scythe, hooded or leather cloak and a wooden shield.
Random assortment of one handed weapons too, but that's it.

+ Reply