Make Some Tiles Better Match Monster Description
issueid=4646 12-26-2016 03:54 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grond: 971
Make Some Tiles Better Match Monster Description

Fire demon, water demon, air demon: These three monsters are described as having elemental bodies ("They never take on humanoid features, instead creating the illusion of shape and texture through subtle changes in the hue and intensity of their flame.", "A watery manifestation of some infernal spirit, it appears as a whirlpool, a column of water, or as a wave when moving.", "A swirling mass of air forms a dusty representation of something infernal."), but are represented by physical demons wearing themed 'hats'.

Orc scorcher: This monster looks like a standard orc with a different shirt. They should at least have some rad face/body paint ("Fear is their most effective weapon, so they paint their faces, bodies, armor and banners in garish colors with gruesome pictures spelling doom!").

Ettin: The tile has human-like heads, when the monster is supposed to have orc-like heads ("A giant-like creature with two heads, the ettin is difficult to surprise as one of the huge orc-like heads is usually alert.")

Air grue: The monster is supposed to have long, sharp nails (okay that's something of a weak excuse: the tile really needs to be redone because it looks like a grue head haphazardly pasted onto a huge bat).

Bugbear: Tile depicts an armored humanoid, but the description(s) seem to suggest otherwise ("You see a heap of moth-eaten fur, the only distinct features being broad sharp claws and a mass of needle-like teeth.", "Man-sized and covered in matted black hair and with glowing yellow eyes.", ).

Ogre magus: The tile is missing some tattoos ("They can be recognized by ritual tattoos covering the body.").

Multi-headed chaos dragon: Low priority, since the tile is pretty good: there should be more than two heads ("It has all the weapons of chaos and several writhing heads by which to deliver them.").

Raider lord: Low priority, hard-to-notice detail: his cloak should be purple instead of red ("The raider lord can be easily recognized by his purple cloak and haughty behavior.").

Ogre guardian: Low priority, minor detail: He should be wielding a halberd instead of a spear ("He wears a gaudy uniform, a huge halberd and his eyes sparkle with something that resembles intelligence and cunning.").

Ratling guardian: Outfit should be fancier and golden, and should be wearing a hat instead of a hood ("His bright golden livery with braids and shining buttons and his fur-trimmed cap still testify to the power and the glory of the age of the High Kings.").

Ancient chaos wyrm: Tile looks a little too 'normal', given all the crazy stuff in the description. Would be nice if it incorporated some selection of the weird mutations ("As you look closer, it looks less and less like a dragon: the legs are thin and bony, almost like those of a bird, and as you watch, the shape and features keep shifting. Parts of the skin suddenly grow hair, which then transforms into feathers, then into a weird crust, then into translucent smooth skin, then into the surface of a dark slimy liquid... and the collar behind the head grows and absorbs snakes' heads, tentacles, long trembling spider legs, stiff thorns and leathery strings lashing at the air.").

Snake from beyond: While the tile might technically be "easily twice the size of a water snake", I feel like it doesn't really match the impressive description - also it deserves better, even as the weakest orb guardian ("An immense bloated serpent with a horned head resembling that of a dragon.", "It is fast for its size, attempting to bite if it cannot wrap its victim in its body, drowning and crushing them with its water essence.").

Shadow wyrm, shadow troll: Might be a bit tricky, but both of these are described as shadowy and incorporeal (similar to the Shadow monster), but the tiles look like normal physical creatures.

Emperor moloch: Low priority, minor detail: the armor is supposed to be black ("All you can see is an immense armor of a jet black substance, moved either by some unbelievably strong inhabitant or by an immensely powerful will.").

Master summoner: Robes are supposed to be torn (okay, this is another weak excuse, but this is another orb guardian whose tile deserves to be a bit more special).

Dragon turtle, giant dragon turtle: The tiles have fairly similar heads to the giant turtle, but they are supposed to have "dragon-like heads".
Issue Details
Issue Number 4646
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All with NotEye
Status Accepted
Priority 9
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 8
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-27-2016 05:32 AM
Definitely a +1, I would love to see all these details added

The steam trading card for the emperor moloch has the art that you describe, but (to my knowledge) the one in game isn't colored that way. It would be cool to see it have that art

12-27-2016 07:25 PM
Ancient Member
I actually like how I almost died to the beyond snake the first time I encountered its sprite because my unfocused mind saw it as another water snake. :)

12-31-2016 04:42 PM
Ancient Member
Changed to "accepted".

@admins: can I get assigned to this issue please? :)

Moping up low DL monsters so there's a complete subset of animated stuff for you guys to test, then moving on to this :)

02-15-2017 11:20 AM
Will love to see this. One more thing - the wererat IMHO should be changed to something more akin to the werewolf in looks, it has pockets to pick yet is represented completely "rodently". The large kobold too could get some loving - right now it's a kobold with more hair, not one that's bigger.

02-25-2017 10:20 AM
Ancient Member
So far changed:

Wererat - very much human, with a rat head. Not exactly 100% description matching, but it gets the message accross very fast, which is a good thing.
Ancient Chaos Wyrm - Extra limbs, tentacles, eyes added.
Ogre magus - ogres in general have tattoos. That's also to break up their boring brown color scheme.

More updates and pics coming soon(tm).

+ Reply