Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adom PvP!

Default Adom PvP!

I was playing a hurthling mindcrafter and it just occurred to me how annoying it would be to have to face one of them. Just imagine a monster like that - confusion that's really hard to resist, and as soon as you're confused it pelts you with humanoid slaying arrows and greater telekinetic blast. If you get close, it teleports away .

This got me thinking what characters would do best in PvP. I really think mindcrafters would probably be one of the best, if not the best (just going by a typical character that closed the gate, not an archmage or anything). An archer might be good too since mine usually bookcast Web and Farsight, so if they see you first it's probably over. I don't think a wizard could get close enough to use Acid Ball and Magic Missile only travels in straight lines. Melee classes are definitely out because even if you use a wand and teleport next to the enemy he can just teleport away with his own wand. Unless you have a barbarian fast enough to get a double move and kill in one tremendous blow.

Actually maybe a bard would do well.. a bunch of extremely experienced killer bugs is hard to deal with.

Yeah. Bard versus mindie : death.
    An experienced beastie wouldn't care. Tons of hp, a teleport wand, and SPEED. you wouldn't have time to run away from mighty fists.
    Same for barbarian with vanquisher.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

This is a matter of luck, level, equipment, spells, environment etc.

P.S. C'mon, Dudley, my DE assasin with Sting and Needle will blow your beastie to smithereens. And I don't mind you're a DE too!

I don't know, DE beasties have ultra good armor AND speed.
    Reach that with an assassin.
    And my gnomish barb will just kill ya
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief

Just a silly online game

Higher-level mindcrafters could pinpoint your position, confuse and damage you from behind walls or along corridors, shoot PV-piercing missiles, teleport around to avoid harm and do all this without any special equipment. So yeah, they'd be definitely on the top. Confusion resistance could take off much of their edge though... would that work against mind blasts? Also, a necromancer could try to summon undead and protect itself from mindcraft by backlashing damage. Barbarians could kill a lot of people by standing behind a corner and as they step out, deal a surprise tremendous blow. Oh, and maybe druid/beastfighter summons could finally get some serious use as missile buffers? Hmm, this could turn out to be an interesting topic.

I've thought once about how a PVP ADOM could be. I was thinking of players or teams duking it out in different areas with all kinds of terrain, at the same levels, with basic equipment (some potions, scrolls, wands, weaponry, armor... sort of like what the PC starts with, except level-scaled). After all, it would be way too unbalanced in favor of archery and magic experts if everyone had endgame items. Pity it's never going to happen.

whoever can toss a potion of confusion the furthest.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Archers can dodge all missiles at high levels, so they'd be immune to the thrown potion. Besides, blindness would be better - there's no resistance to that.

Teleport + petrify would be a good combo, since few chars would have that resistance. Anything that doesn't insta-kill or somehow disable the other player is going to fall short of victory, since there's always prayer or some other healing/escape method that can be used.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Web the world, then taunt the other player to 'bring it on'.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

a) Bard with killer beetles. Lots and lots and lots of killer beetles.
    b) lvl 50 Necro. Even if they're trivial to kill, they're next to impossible to keep down if they have the proper equipment (preferably artefacts, 'cos the other player might try to acid-ball the +To items).
    c) Weaponsmith. If things go awry, dump lots of ingots and suicide-bomb your enemy via segfault.

lolled at the last one...
    necros are just game abuse if to is enhanced to ten.

Just a silly online game