Thread: Recovery from wearing robe of hate in Dwarftown?

Default Recovery from wearing robe of hate in Dwarftown?

Hi all,

I've just had a bit of bad luck. With a level 14 high elven wizard, I've been going fairly well. I'm just trying to find a Large Rust Monster for the first Thrundarr quest, and so I've kept myself above the animated forest/dwarven halls. Anyway, I was just doing some routine checking of items I'd gotten using the altar in Dwarftown, when I put on an uncursed, but unidentified, robe.

And that's when disaster struck. It was a robe of hate. Instantly, Ruun, Waldenbrook, and a dwarven guardian who happened to be nearby all turned hostile. Naturally, the first thing I did was remove the robe, and of course, they were still hostile (Ruun already started attacking me). In vain, I tried using Calm monster on Ruun, but he just "ignored" the spell (which I presume means that it won't work at all - correct me if I'm wrong, please). With that failing, and my HP already down from 56 to 35, I did the only thing I could think of - I teleported the hell away from them. Thankfully, it doesn't look like Waldenbrook has summoned any thugs, so far, but I'm worried about what might happen if I allow him any closer than he got initially.

Of course, I'm assuming that none of them can be sacrificed, as I'm Lawful, the altar's Lawful, and I wish to remain lawful.

So, that's the situation, in a nutshell. Is there a way to calm them down? Is it safe to kill them, since they're already hostile? Should I just lock the three of them in with the altar if I can manage it? Am I condemned to avoiding them entirely for the rest of the game (however long I last, that is - my best character, if I recall correctly, reached about level 22, and I made it as far as the CoC graveyard... I had high hopes for this one)?

First thing you should have done is turn invisible.

You can kill all them [except priest] once they are out of level. Ruun --- better just tp her away. One good side most likely Garth, elder and so on are still non hostile.

Beware of muscular dwarves...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Provided you haven't killed anyone once you've left town that in and of itself may calm them down. In the future do your checking outside the town. Oh and bless some scrolls of ID use them when you go back to town to unload loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    First thing you should have done is turn invisible.

You can kill all them [except priest] once they are out of level. Ruun --- better just tp her away. One good side most likely Garth, elder and so on are still non hostile.

Beware of muscular dwarves...
    Damn - unfortunately, muscular dwarves turned up.

I did manage to actually get out of town, though - took a few teleportations to get a clear path to a staircase, though.

Anyway, none of the other normal NPCs are hostile, so far as I can see - it's Ruun, Waldenbrook, and that one dwarven guardian, plus the muscular dwarves, that are hostile, the rest are not.

Does this change my tactics in any way? if Waldenbrook and Ruun calm down, will the muscular dwarves disappear or become calm, or do I now only have the option of invisibility for returning to dwarftown for the quests, etc?

EDIT: oh, and garyd, yeah, I've learned my lesson regarding it. I did have a scroll of ID, and plenty of holy waters, but I didn't want to use up the one scroll I had right then, when I'd likely have better use for it later.
    Last edited by Aielyn; 01-16-2010 at 12:55 PM.

drag them upstairs and kill.

Only Ruun is proble if killed out of dwarftown level. You got yourself funny game, I say
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    drag them upstairs and kill.

Only Ruun is proble if killed out of dwarftown level. You got yourself funny game, I say
    Will I be able to handle all of the various hostiles with a level 14 wizard? Or do I need to wait until I'm stronger before sorting the problem out?

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, I've checked all except Glod and the Mystic, and no other NPCs are hostile other than the ones I mentioned before.

EDIT2: I'm checking the level out while invisible, using farsight to help. Curiously, all the muscular dwarves seem to have collected together around the altar room.

EDIT3: Well, it's no longer a problem. I just died to a hydra in the wilderness. I realised afterwards that I should have gone invisible or teleported away.
    Last edited by Aielyn; 01-16-2010 at 02:18 PM.