Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Winter's Chaos

Default A Winter's Chaos

Before the unholy terror of Chaos and Corruption all shall bow low! This competition rests upon the corruption of ADOM saves, and shall end with the rise of our chaotic comrades above the corpses of the cowering, incompetent cuckolds that cultivate like e.coli in the cramped and cess-filled corners of their craven, crooked homes. The Champions (to be):

meh (our resident Lord of Chaos)
    Grey
    Moeba
    ???? (one space free)

Available characters:

Raven human bard with 0 wishes and Tarantula pet (claimed by Grey)
    Raven human bard with 2 wishes
    Raven human bard with 4 wishes
    Raven human wizard with 5 wishes

For each char may change one of the following: starsign, race or class.
    You may also add 2 talents (plus another for gnomes/hurthlings) - see the main rules thread for details of which are available.

I claim the 0 wishes bard, and will only change his race to gnome (since I wrote the Guide to Bards I feel the need to stay true to them). Claim the others at your own leisure. This thread will be used for discusing tactics and organizing saves.
    Last edited by Grey; 01-19-2010 at 07:33 PM.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I claim you open other thread. Any normal being would put at very least team name in thread.

Winter chaos is non how connected with team C currently. Unluckily from experience thread name is not editable.

If you trying this way to make your hide whiter than it is total failure.
    IMO by making this thread you asked for this:

I do not plan to run any real sort policy on question. I do not plan to listen explanations. I plan to remain same dumb and big troll as ever.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

You're in our thread :P
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

Now for discussions of tactics...

Initial character:

Raven is likely the best starsign, so probably best to stick with it.

Race-wise there's little difference, though gnomes do get faster levelling and a longer lifespan. Their natural regen rate for healing/PP isn't too bad either. Certainly a good switch for the wizard.

Class-wise the main differences are class abilities, and we're unlikely to see any past level 12 given the win conditions for the challenge, so they don't play a big part. We're not allowed casters or mindcrafters, but that leaves plenty. Monks are nice for low hunger rate and good DV, but are unable to true berserk (a serious disadvantage). Beastfighters are awesome for being naturally powerful as they level up. Archers are still good with missiles, which is quite important in this challenge. Merchants can use gold as a missile weapon (useful for finding that first method of attack), level up fast and automatically identify one item type - actually kinda handy.

Starting tactics:

Get missiles, probably from ID stair-hopping. Need to be bloody careful not to encounter *anything* since one hit can kill. Some tactics may depend on wishes of course, but the idea should be to get some basic equipment in place without getting attacked at all and then start exploring for herbs. A few levels and a few points in To and we should be rolling. Before that though every single move could be our last. The wizard char should stairhop for books of course.

Wishes:

Eterniums shields and some sort of missiles would be a good way to start. Wands can be handy for initial offense too. Have to be careful to not wish for anything too heavy - we have a very limited carrying capacity at the start. A girdle of giant strength would be nice in that respect, especially since it would also give a few HP. Athletics would be useful in the medium run, since it would fairly quickly get the physical stats ascending.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

You've been told to close thread due to making concious effort to play against spirit of proposed game. If problem persists I won't DQ you surely I will do something else instead.

Edit: i can add your PM after being warned which basically assures you knew in which thread you were going. This one was actually main reason i posted anything at all on forums.
    Last edited by Soirana; 01-19-2010 at 07:29 PM.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!

You said it was discouraged, not disallowed. What's the point in creating a new thread?

I freely admit looking the other threads, and for precisely the reason I told you. There's a lot more discussion going on between rival teams on IRC than there is on the forums.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

I have my own view point of honesty and respectful. If you think it is about peeking when you are wrong by few miles.

Personally, I would NEVER peek at another team's thread,
    and have achieved a new level of hate toward Grey now
    that I have seen that pic

The only reason I clicked on this thread, and read every
    post within it, then re-read them, is because the title of
    the thread didn't indicate this was indeed the 'strategy'
    thread of team C***.

On the other hand, to be fair (which is something I
    desperately hate to do concerning Grey), there is nothing
    in this thread or any other that hasn't been discussed to
    death on Freenode. You should have tuned in yesterday
    Soirana, all the strategy chatter flying in between opponants
    would have made your hair singe : )

Don't be a sissy and take your ball and go home when things
    don't go your way. You know if I'm going to DL a copy of the
    improved GB, I'm going to peek at other's strategies. You
    expect too much from a curious lot : )
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Wait, I'm confused. What is this winter game thing?

(I just got my computer back after 2 weeks)

Have no slightest idea what it could be about.