Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Challenge Idea: The Amazing Race

Default Challenge Idea: The Amazing Race

So I had this idea that maybe we could do sometime.

Basically we all pick a real life time and everyone starts playing ADOM at the same time and then we see who can be the first to win or get the farthest. I thought it could be cool because if someone wanted to open enough putty screens you could watch everyone play and it could be like an MMORPG.
    What does everyone else think about this?

Basically "Operation Crash the Server", what with the linear increase in player accounts coupled with a quadratic increase of spectators overall?

It sounds fun, but we should ask jaakkos if the server can handle it first...
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

That's one of the better ideas I've heard in a long time.

The thing is though, I log on to jaakos' server almost every day now and I selfishly would rather prefer that not many people knew that it existed.

Is that wrong of me?

I like the idea, but implementation may be a pain. There's a number of Europeans (Germans for sure) who play, as well as North Americans, so you're looking at trying to coordinate over a 9 hour time difference. I'm not sure how you avoid a situation where the winner isn't simply the person who has the most available free time during that particular period of the day.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Probably a better "race" would be to have the game run for a twenty-four hour period, and each participant be placed according to how far he got. Theoretically, everyone has roughly similar amounts of free time withing that time period.

nathrakh Guest

To be honest with you, I liked my own idea more. (http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php?t=10112)

To be honest with you, nathrakh, I like his idea more.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

The server thing would be kind of an issue and the time difference. I got the idea because my brother and I would do this kind of thing on our computers all the time and now that I'm away from my house I thought we could connect two screens and play side by side like we used to and then I thought why not everybody?

Just a thought, but maybe if there were a schedule - you know, you have, say, 5.5 hours to play, and once those 5.5 hours are up, there's a half our break before the next group starts. Have four sessions, it will take 24 hours. This would allow for people in different regions to be scheduled differently, while still maintaining the general feel. And by actually scheduling it, you can limit the number of players in each session, so that you don't end up overloading the server. And at the same time, you could have a limit to the number of observers at any time, working on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Not that I'd participate (I'm not good enough to), nor would I watch (too many other things to do), but I like to help people sort out problems like this.

I like the idea (have had similar ones before). Wouldn't need to be on the server due to those with lag problems, but obviously many of us would choose to use it.

Could be set on a weekend so that people can be more flexible with their time, and we could have two starting times for the two main continents. What's the actual objective though? Win as quick as you can?
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!