Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Energy & movement cost

Yes. I usually have a spare, because when i have them i wish.
    Wear them everytime. you're nto going to want to spend a turn more to put your boots on to flee from that monster. they're really, really, really too useful not to wear.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

blessed items are much safer than uncursed ones,
    so that helps.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Generally, the mentality "I must save it for a later occasion" doesn't work. It's usually too late at that point. Like, for example, you decide you still have enough HP not to drink your last PoEH, then you get hit for 3 crits in a row and you die.

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    Generally, the mentality "I must save it for a later occasion" doesn't work. It's usually too late at that point. Like, for example, you decide you still have enough HP not to drink your last PoEH, then you get hit for 3 crits in a row and you die.
    Nothing like dying and looking at inventory thinking: I should have used those and that

Quote Originally Posted by Molach View Post
    A picture:
    You have a well you need to fill with water. There is a tap nearby, and you have a bucket. So you will fill the bucket from the tap, and then pour it into the well. The volume of the well is "energy cost", the bucket is "speed". So with a 100 litre bucket, you need 10 pours to fill a 1000 well.
    To use less pours, you can either reduce the volume of the well (reduce energy cost) or increase the size of your bucket (speed). Or both.
    This is probably the most important part of this thread to the original poster; most people didn't point out how this works. Lets say your character has 100 speed and wants to move west 1 spot, and his movement takes 1000 energy points. It will take him 10 "turns" (not actual game turns) to do this. If he had 200 speed, it would take him only 5 "turns;" he would be moving twice as fast. Similarly, if he had 100 speed but his movement costs only 500 energy points, this would take 5 "turns" as well. In other words, speed "fills up" your energy points every "turn." strong analogy btw.

The "turns" are called segments in the manual.
    Last edited by Silfir; 02-13-2010 at 11:49 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by reich View Post
    No shortcut to HMV - I'd have to go all the way. Without invisibility or teleportation getting through the first level may be tough. but maybe still worth a try!
    This is why you always go into the SMC at level one and then back out if you don't have herbalism and healing. :]

Quote Originally Posted by meekrab View Post
    This is why you always go into the SMC at level one and then back out if you don't have herbalism and healing. :]
    Side question here- if a char is generated without herbalism OR healing, is there any way to get both? From what I can tell they're mutually exclusive, depending on whether you talk to Rynt or the druid first. As much as I wish I had herbalism now, Healing is way too important for me in the early game.

Quote Originally Posted by Snock View Post
    Side question here- if a char is generated without herbalism OR healing
    install jaakos program for choosing month and choose candle. Talk with druid later.

Alternatively you can wish for herbalism but first way is still better.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

In theory it's possible to get healing from the quest and wish for
    herbalism, but that's not very practical. Possible workarounds are:

- ignore healing and use spenseweed instead
    - restart until you get candle starsign and ignore healing (candle
    increases HP regeneration more than the healing skill)
    - ignore herbalism and use a scroll of uncursing after you farmed
    a lot of herbs (but I don't really recommend that)
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.