Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Energy & movement cost

Default Energy & movement cost

What's the deal with the energy cost of actions? How does it relate to speed? To food consumption? What do 7LBs really do?

Thanks

I'm asking 'cause I just got the stiff muscles corruption, don't know how bad is it really and weather to cure it.
    Last edited by reich; 02-12-2010 at 11:25 AM.

nathrakh Guest

RTFM.

Lower energy cost makes action take less time. Meaning blessed 7lb's make you ~twice faster (WHEN MOVING).

Stiff muscles changes your base energy cost from 1000 to 1500, making almost all actions take more time. This is moving, attacking, casting spells(?) and so on.

Stiff muscles is one of the most dangerous corruptions.
    Last edited by nathrakh; 02-14-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Stiff muscles increases the time all actions take by 50%. It is roughly the equivalent of having your speed reduced by a third, for instance from 100 to 66, without the experience benefits this normally provides. Of all the corruptions, this is the one that will impede you the most in battle overall, though there may be a few cases in which poison hands or mana battery have worse consequences.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Stiff muscles is very bad. Energy cost is how much "time" it takes
    you to do a certain action - 1000 is 'normal', I think. Lowering the
    energy cost of your attacks (via weapon skills) allows you to speed
    up your attacks, and occasionally hit your opponent when they cannot
    respond, because their movements etc. use up too much energy.
    What 7LBs actually do is reduce (if blessed or uncursed) the amount
    of energy it takes to move - to 500 if blessed. This means that moving
    away from a monster takes up much less time than it normally would.
    They also make wilderness travel take up much less time; I'm not
    certain of the amount of time they reduce, though.

This is different from speed, however, in that speed is the quickness
    with which your character executes something. You can be very
    speedy, but take up a lot of time with your actions (via Stiff Muscles)
    and still act at a normal, slow or even very slow rate. Speed negatively
    affects XP gain, but you really will not see the results of such XP loss
    unless you have a LOT of passive speed (thinking maybe 140+?).

The main difference is that there is a separate energy cost for every
    type of action - attack, read, cast, move, shoot, throw, etc. However,
    speed affects most of these, and doesn't affect others. I know speed
    affects attack, shoot, move and maybecast, I'd have to test or
    ask someone who knows. Speed also reduces XP gain, if it's high, and
    increases it if it's low. Also, energy cost and speed work on opposite
    scales; you (probably) want speed to be high (I like it high, even with
    the XP loss) and energy cost to be low.

Edit: Hooray for essay responses taking forever to type
    Last edited by Sadface; 02-12-2010 at 11:41 AM.
    Code:
    Really kick the child? [y/N]

....@.....
    ....t.....
    Yo dawg I heard you like buffalo so I put buffalo in your Buffalo now you can buffalo Buffalo buffalo while your Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo!

Ultras: GE Farmer, Hurthling Thief, Orc Weaponsmith
    Wins: HE Priest, GE Wizard, Human Necromancer, Gnome Elementalist, HE barbarian, Gnome Mindcrafter, Hurthling Paladin, Troll Healer

For some additional perspective: A 150 speed character with stiff muscles performs any action as fast as a 100 speed character without stiff muscles. It is very bad.

Also, nathrakh, there are very few situations, if any, in which I would consider the usage of the acronym "RTFM" anything other than rude and inappropriate. This wasn't one of those situations.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

nathrakh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Also, nathrakh, there are very few situations, if any, in which I would consider the usage of the acronym "RTFM" anything other than rude and inappropriate. This wasn't one of those situations.
    Oh, that emoticon wasn't enough to show that I wasn't serious?

Ok, it looks like I gotta find a potion of cure corruption soon.

I have the long stride talent and 7lbs so I think they mitigate the effects of the corruption somewhat. I think I can still outrun most monsters, but I found that attacking or shooting the sling gives them extra turns - nearly got me killed by a diamond golem!

nathrakh Guest

If you can access HMV easily there is a guaranteed (cursed) scroll of chaos resistance. If you uncurse/bless it and read it, it will remove corruption hugely. Don't read it cursed, it adds corruption. :-)

It is in a secret room roughly little upwards from middle of the screen, you can access it only via teleportation.

edit: here's a map http://lonkero.eu/igb/adomgb-2-21-pic.html

No shortcut to HMV - I'd have to go all the way. Without invisibility or teleportation getting through the first level may be tough. but maybe still worth a try!

This corruption along with the mana battery is the reason I allways carry atleast 1 corruption removal with me at all times. Just remove it asap

Quote Originally Posted by reich View Post
    No shortcut to HMV - I'd have to go all the way. Without invisibility or teleportation getting through the first level may be tough. but maybe still worth a try!
    Don't do it! You'll die.