Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Energy & movement cost

RTFM is a bit harsh, I thought that bit in the manual was fairly difficult when I first read it. Only after much spoiling and when I paid attention to what was happening I figured it out.

To OP, you can experiment by switching what is displayed. Default is "speed", but switch it to "energy cost of last action" and you will notice that it normally says 1000 (walking a step), but if you get long stride, it will say 950. With 7lbs 500 and so forth. Attacks will start at 1000, then get lower as weapon skill increases (a very nice and much-overlooked benefit of gaining weapon marks)

A picture:
    You have a well you need to fill with water. There is a tap nearby, and you have a bucket. So you will fill the bucket from the tap, and then pour it into the well. The volume of the well is "energy cost", the bucket is "speed". So with a 100 litre bucket, you need 10 pours to fill a 1000 well.
    To use less pours, you can either reduce the volume of the well (reduce energy cost) or increase the size of your bucket (speed). Or both.
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health

If you're cracking a joke, it is prudent to use emoticons such as ,, that are immediately recognizable as emoticons with friendly implications. is not.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

just a thing. seven league boots don't reduce, they DIVIDE by two. for those who played monks with them
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    just a thing. seven league boots don't reduce, they DIVIDE by two. for those who played monks with them
    well, if my memory serves right, the thing is more complicated. When you get 1st monk power, reducing energy cost to 800, it won't be 400 with 7LB, more like 465 +-3 (don't remember the exact number). And with 600 moving cost you'll be with 375 - this seems to be the minimum energy cost for anything..

P.S. If I'm bullshitting about 7Lb with 800, please correct me..

only thing i know is that it's true with the 375 figure.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    well, if my memory serves right, the thing is more complicated. When you get 1st monk power, reducing energy cost to 800, it won't be 400 with 7LB, more like 465 +-3 (don't remember the exact number). And with 600 moving cost you'll be with 375 - this seems to be the minimum energy cost for anything..

You are correct - it's not a simple formula. The different energy reductions do multipy, but in an odd way that makes them less than the sum of their parts.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post

Minimum cost is 336 IIRC. Archers can hit this fairly easily once they get a few ranks in some missile weapon + their class powers. As Soirana is fond of pointing out, the lightning shot talent is actually useless to archers since they hit this limit without it.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

The algorithm to combine sub-1000 energy costs is actually described in the manual. Mind you, I had to code dive to understand it...

The actual minimum energy cost is 100. Just did some tests with a hacked archer, 336 energy w/ L50, grand mastery, Lightning Shot, 398 with all but lightning shot.

You're all noobs

Couldn't resist that one : )
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

on a side note: do you normally wear 7lbs during regular exploration or just keep it in the pack for special occasions and for surface travel. Come to think of it, it takes just one acid trap - and bye bye bootsies! Or lightninig from a blue dragon. Thankfully explosions and fire is out of the question since I got a ring of ice equipped. Did you ever happened to loose them in such trivial situation?