Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is a proposed alternative to the normal scoring of ADOM game

Quote Originally Posted by zasvid View Post
    Not true. It can be used to good effect:

1) Find an altar on a very small depth (preferably in D:1, VD:1, PC:1, DD:1, DDL, UD:8)
    repeat:
    2) Apply Survival repeatedly.
    3) dump plant seeds on the stairs.
    until:
    4) once you have a lot of plant seeds (200k? don't remember), kick the seeds to the the altar
    5) sacrifice the seeds.
    6) receive 3 free precrowning gifts (and then a crowning if you like).

I do not advise trying it with short-lived non-Rangers though.
    I would not consider this "good effect". There are much more efficient scummy ways to get a few free precrowns if that's what you're looking for--particularly by the time you reach level 14 and are able to get all those precrowns. You could do the same thing more much faster by setting the time to do a w5 = 10000 and putting a pile of sis in your inventory for example.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    I would not consider this "good effect". There are much more efficient scummy ways to get a few free precrowns if that's what you're looking for--particularly by the time you reach level 14 and are able to get all those precrowns. You could do the same thing more much faster by setting the time to do a w5 = 10000 and putting a pile of sis in your inventory for example.
    Well, I tried many methods (because I like my artifacts) and found seeds to be the nicest, casual way to accomplish a few free precrowns, because once you do a little preparation you can fully automatize it. Si scumming has the obvious disadvantage of si being an artifact itself, massive stomma harvesting is either a lot more mind numbing or a lot more dangerous, piety tricks are cheating and not that easy to pull off and no other methods for some very early and multiple precrowns spring to my mind now (except for halflings).

Code:
    #Never earned any corruptions = 1500
    This one is probably also nearly impossible and should be worth much more.
    I don't think it's so hard. It's just a matter of finding or writing SoCR's early. Once you're in the midgame you can have a pretty big pile of SoCR's so you don't have a reason for getting corruptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    I don't think it's so hard. It's just a matter of finding or writing SoCR's early. Once you're in the midgame you can have a pretty big pile of SoCR's so you don't have a reason for getting corruptions.
    It's tricky because you need to use that pile of SoCRs before you get the corruptions. If, for one turn, you get a corruption, and immediately use the SoCR to cure it, you would lose this challenge. You would need a lot of scrolls of dark predictions to make sure that you aren't constantly wasting those SoCR. Doable with a wish engine, but very hard without, I would suspect.

Feel free to prove me wrong though
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

just skimmed it a bit, but this popped out to me like a sore thumb

"
    total number of game moves before exiting:
    0 to 9999 = 30000
    10000 to 19999 = 25000
    20000 to 29999 = 21000
    30000 to 39999 = 19000
    "

If under 10K turns = 30K points, then 10K to 20K
    should be considerably less IMO. Maybe 20K at best.
    There is a HUGE difference between 10K and 20K turns.
    20 to 30 maybe - 15K
    30 to 40 maybe - 12K
    with ever diminishing returns.

edit: wait a second, I was just considering wizards. nevermind.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Have you given any thought about how this would apply to non-winners? It seems to me that the way this is currently set up, the maximum possible score would be achieved simply by immediately leaving the Drakalor Chain upon entry, and that score would decrease continuously from that point, with normal winners probably scoring among the lowest. I realise that you do mention that this should only be applied to winners, but one of the nice features about the current system (for all its flaws), is that it does give a somewhat realistic measure of progress of PCs throughout the entire game. Your system doesn't reproduce this at all.

On another note, ultras and OGC are ridiculously overrated in your system I think. Suppose we have an ultra winner who scores 18000 (ignoring minor score effects like levels and artifacts). To score the same as an ultra, a regular winner might have to do all of: not used range weapons, spells, or mindcraft (3000) use no equipment (4000), kill less than 10 monsters (5500 (3000 +2500 for two different categories)), never use any method of healing (1000), never have more than 20 DV (1500), never get Burdened, Satiated, Hungry or Give away items (400), never use tactics (500), hit the girl with the cute dog (100) and win the game (2000).

Have you given any thought about how this would apply to non-winners? It seems to me that the way this is currently set up, the maximum possible score would be achieved simply by immediately leaving the Drakalor Chain upon entry, and that score would decrease continuously from that point, with normal winners probably scoring among the lowest. I realise that you do mention that this should only be applied to winners, but one of the nice features about the current system (for all its flaws), is that it does give a somewhat realistic measure of progress of PCs throughout the entire game. Your system doesn't reproduce this at all.
    Well, yes, my system was meant only for winners.

On another note, ultras and OGC are ridiculously overrated in your system I think. Suppose we have an ultra winner who scores 18000 (ignoring minor score effects like levels and artifacts). To score the same as an ultra, a regular winner might have to do all of: not used range weapons, spells, or mindcraft (3000) use no equipment (4000), kill less than 10 monsters (5500 (3000 +2500 for two different categories)), never use any method of healing (1000), never have more than 20 DV (1500), never get Burdened, Satiated, Hungry or Give away items (400), never use tactics (500), hit the girl with the cute dog (100) and win the game (2000).
    Thanks. Later on I might change it, if you suggest what I should change it to.