Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people fall for jerks?

Yeah, life is cruel but interesting. 3 years ago I had a wife (6 years of living together), I was pretty poor (my salary was about 200 $ per month) so when she left I thought that it was all about money. I thought that I will not be able to live without her but I had to get used to it. Time has passed, now I get 10 times more, and all that girls that were looking at me like I was piece of shit find me an interesting person. But I dont need them. I became self-sufficient. What is the morale of this story? Babes need money. Loving life in the poverty is myth, because she will run away with the first money pouch who will invite her. Only ugly hags will handle to the only man they can tie to themselves. Sorry for bad English.

@Angelus : why would i (or any man which is a human being) care about being laid? That's a consequence, not an end. If it's an en, you can o see the bitches, less work to the same end...
    @boris : I don't agree. maybe it's because i'm young, but i've known ROMANCE existing between poor people. WITH proposition of richer guys. She disagreed to all of them, because it was love. It's strange that the best people are the ones who go rapidly, she was crunched by a car around a week after her last refusal. And yes, i think that this wasn't an accident. But rich people are always above laws <.<
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Boy, I can feel the sexism roiling and boiling in this thread...
    Code:
    Really kick the child? [y/N]

....@.....
    ....t.....
    Yo dawg I heard you like buffalo so I put buffalo in your Buffalo now you can buffalo Buffalo buffalo while your Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo!

Ultras: GE Farmer, Hurthling Thief, Orc Weaponsmith
    Wins: HE Priest, GE Wizard, Human Necromancer, Gnome Elementalist, HE barbarian, Gnome Mindcrafter, Hurthling Paladin, Troll Healer

Quote Originally Posted by Sadface View Post
    Boy, I can feel the sexism roiling and boiling in this thread...
    What's the problem about sexism? it's the only reason that galatery exists in the first place. And girls are superior to men in nearly every aspect.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief

Just a silly online game

Perhaps I overstated myself; I was mostly referring to boris's
    "babes need money" statement, that women are only attracted
    to people based on their monetary status, and the "only ugly hags
    stay with people they married". Sorry.
    Code:
    Really kick the child? [y/N]

....@.....
    ....t.....
    Yo dawg I heard you like buffalo so I put buffalo in your Buffalo now you can buffalo Buffalo buffalo while your Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo!

Ultras: GE Farmer, Hurthling Thief, Orc Weaponsmith
    Wins: HE Priest, GE Wizard, Human Necromancer, Gnome Elementalist, HE barbarian, Gnome Mindcrafter, Hurthling Paladin, Troll Healer

Hey, no offence, but how often did you see a bum surrounded by sexy ladies, who try to guess all his wishes? )

Life is life, most of them are really attracted by material wealth. Of course there are some girls of all virtues (she was beautyfull and smart, kind and wealthy), but I never met any of them
    The worst of all is that TV teaches babes to be bad, to be stupid whore (like it was in one episode of south park). I

Quote Originally Posted by Sadface View Post
    was mostly referring to boris's
    "babes need money" statement, that women are only attracted
    to people based on their monetary status
    I believe Russian women are strangely attracted to money, but in general women like sex.

I think what you say depends a lot of cultural issues. For example, in my country (Spain) there are women that go hunting for rich men; but fortunately they are a minority. But in Russia it is probably much more common, since I receive lots of spam from websites where young Russian women advertise themselves and they clearly say that they are looking for a wealthy husband, they don't even try to hide it. No offense meant but it is what I see on the internet.

I think it's related with the level of sexism in a country. In places that have advanced a lot in gender equality, like Scandinavian countries, women don't go looking for rich men because they want to achieve things by themselves, and it would be humiliating for them to depend on a man. But in sexist societies, women (who are also sexist) don't value themselves, and think that being with a rich man is the best thing they can do in life.

In my country there are sexist women that think like that, but fortunately less and less as time passes. I hope your country goes the same way, because that kind of sexism is bad both for women and for men. Being with a woman that refuses to make decisions and think by herself is not even fun.

Boris, you give off a bitter and biased vibe. I guess having a bad marriage behind you explains that to some extent. Doesn't make any of your generalizing statements more true, though. No one in this world knows nearly much as they think they do, after all.

Incidentally, why would girls be superior to men in every aspect? Is it because they have boobs? I like boobs to be sure, but a) that's only one aspect and even if you let that count, what about boobless women (are breasted women superior to breastless ones? Are we talking about the potential for possession of boobs?), and b) isn't one of the main sources of relationship problems the misunderstandings fueled by assumptions and misconceptions, of which sexism, whichever kind, is often a source?

In an age in which men wear pink fluffy shirts and become nurses, and women drive Harley Davidsons and give people the finger, one would think people would be a bit less willing to make thoughtless generalizations. And yet, the reality of it is that people will still tend to do what they want, and what they want is much too regularly determined but what they think they are expected to want. So women will get told they are supposed to look for "manly" guys, and guys will get told they are supposed to look for "girly" women. Traditional gender roles are self-fulfilling prophecies.

Not sure chivalry is an argument "for" sexism either. People can be courteous to each other without that depending on their gender. Much of what people refer to as "chivalry" is pretty outdated now. If I walk through my university building with my hands full carrying a box of printer paper, have to go through a door, and a woman passersby casually holds open the door for me, that probably violates a couple of traditional rules of chivalry - I mean, I let a woman inconvenience herself for my sake! - but for modern times, that was little more than common courtesy - she held open the door for me because it was a minor inconvenience to do so and kept me from going through the comparatively larger inconvenience of setting the box down and picking it up again (a box full of paper is heavy), or opening the door with one foot while standing on the other and trying to keep my balance (my preferred method, looks goofy and is probably slightly dangerous). And I have to say, if the traditional concept of chivalry were come to be fully replaced by a modern concept of general common courtesy, I would not cry a single tear. The good things about chivalry are not related to its inherent sexism.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

@Silfir : it's true that chivalry is outdated by modern courtesy. I nevertheless try to respect chivalry THEN courtesy, and not the contrary. Besides, while it is true that, as the chivalry code induces i tend to respect other men, i tend to respect women more. Beats me. And when i said that women were better in most aspects than men, it's because *picks up book from Emile Cioran* *puts down book* ... look for it, too tired to find the quote. Basicly, it's an exacerbation of the characteristic of men.

@Al-Khwarizmi : Complete agreeal. Here in france women tend to look for courtesy/chivalry. Guess we're too old fashionned

Just a silly online game