Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Some Fun with Statistics

IIRC, my wins in approximate chronological order are

Troll Druid (first win)
    Grey Elf Ranger (first ultra)
    Hurthling Beastfighter (no corruption removal)
    Human Merchant
    Dark Elf Beastfighter
    Drakeling Monk (ultra with no corruption removal)
    Dark Elf Weaponsmith (Creator's Day challenge)
    Dwarf Necromancer (Friday 13th challenge, cursed throughout game)
    Dwarf Ranger
    Human Elementalist
    Hurthling Healer

I think I've posted three of these in the YAVP forum.

nathrakh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    I'm a bit surprised that there are so few hurthlings as it's my favourite race and as far as I know it's also nathrakh's favourite race.
    Well, 4 hurthling wins of my total 15 speaks it's own language doesn't it. :-)

They are an amazing class whose main "weakness" is low early strength and maximum hp, which are easily fixed with strained and herb training. Actually, by the mid-end game, hurthlings tend to have MORE strength than other races because of cooking and food preservation. ;-)

Did I mention that they level gaily fast and get archery and easy early game thanks to rocks? :-)

I have 10 unposted mindcrafter wins. They might skew your stats a bit?

Would be better if we could get some statistics from the server - it'd be more reliable than going simply by what's posted on the YAVPs here (I think I only have 1 or 2 victories in there). Interesting to see the stats though.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I actually think the analysis works better not having anybody with a huge number of wins in the sample. I think the most of any individual person in the YAVP forum is about 10 wins, which is less than 5% of the total dataset. Having one or two people with 50 wins would need a much larger dataset to compensate for the preferences of those one or two players. Having one person who has 40 wins that are all human thieves would probably need thousands of total entries to eliminate the bias they're introducing. Large number of people contributing small amount of data > Small number of people contributing large amount of data.

I agree that the server results would be better, but in the twenty or so minutes that it took me to do this, I doubt I could come up with a way to get this information off the server in a trivial way. Honestly, if there was any real interest in this in a comprehensive way, it would probably be better to bribe sorear or jaakos to just have the server automatically log this information somewhere on its own.

Incidentally, I'm surprised hurthlings aren't played more as well. I'd say they're probably in my top 3 choices for races. Certainly above gnomes or dwarves. Then again, I like orcs and trolls and dislike all types of elves, so I'm a bit atypical.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Preferential choice : gnomes > darkelves> orcs>dwarves>drakeling. Save if you put a Wizzie in it, in which case gray elf beats all
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Now this is just odd. Every time I roll up an orc or troll, they always
    die at the hands of some out-of-nowhere supermonster. Troll merchant
    brought to her death by a single ghost, that apparently had enough
    HP to withstand 4 hits from a 1d10+35 two-handed club. Gnomes, elves
    and hurthlings? "You hit the ghost with your 1d4+1 dagger, the ghost dies."
    Code:
    Really kick the child? [y/N]

....@.....
    ....t.....
    Yo dawg I heard you like buffalo so I put buffalo in your Buffalo now you can buffalo Buffalo buffalo while your Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo!

Ultras: GE Farmer, Hurthling Thief, Orc Weaponsmith
    Wins: HE Priest, GE Wizard, Human Necromancer, Gnome Elementalist, HE barbarian, Gnome Mindcrafter, Hurthling Paladin, Troll Healer

My favorite races goes sort of in the order like drakeling > gnome > troll > dark elf > orc > other shit. It seems natural to me but it might be atypical too.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

Mine seems to go gnome = hurthling = high elf = grey elf > everything
    else. Hehe.
    Code:
    Really kick the child? [y/N]

....@.....
    ....t.....
    Yo dawg I heard you like buffalo so I put buffalo in your Buffalo now you can buffalo Buffalo buffalo while your Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo!

Ultras: GE Farmer, Hurthling Thief, Orc Weaponsmith
    Wins: HE Priest, GE Wizard, Human Necromancer, Gnome Elementalist, HE barbarian, Gnome Mindcrafter, Hurthling Paladin, Troll Healer

Mine looks like drakeling > orc > dwarf & gray elf > high elf > troll & gnome > human & halfling > dark elf.

Edit:

Also, the statistics mined from brinkster hall of fame:
    http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddf9smx7_17xw85shf2
    Last edited by zasvid; 03-17-2010 at 09:54 PM.