Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unremarkable Challenge

Default The Unremarkable Challenge

This challenge is quite aptly named, really - it is entirely unremarkable. All it's about is its sheer unremarkability, actually.

For starters, it's short. There's not really much to it.

- Create completely random character. Yes, that includes starsign and gender. I guess you can choose your name.
    - Go straight to the Small Cave. I was going to let you equip your character on the way there, but I just decided no. Go straight there. Wilderness encounters, evade; if you can't evade, reroll. (No, I do not care if you just had to give up your gray elven wizard.)
    - Once you enter the Small Cave, you can never return to the wilderness. No way back out.
    - You win if you reach the High Mountain village.
    - One try. No do-overs. (You can do retries for achievements.)

That's it. Unremarkable, isn't it?

Balanced? No. Fair? Not really. Don't like your high elven farmer? Tough shit. There's a river and you can't swim? What do I care? Drown. I'm not your mother.

Report your progress, deaths and unremarkable victories in here.

I also decided to do something less unremarkable to go with the whole challenge. I present to you: Achievements! These are unique. First come, first serve.

PREMATURE ASCENSION: Reach HMV. (WINNER: TIMPAK)
    ALL HAIL THE MONIES: Collect 100,000 gold.
    KILLING SPREE: Rack up 500 kills. (WINNER: BARANOR)
    RAMPAGE: First turn, drop armor stuff and turn on true berserk, then reach HMV.
    GODLIKE: Kill off the entire High Mountain Village. For kicks. Including Gaab'Baay.
    IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAR: Only form of attack: bolt spells. Reach HMV.
    AXE COP: Only use axes in combat. You can throw them if you want. They don't have to be perfect fireman axes. Reach HMV.
    FLUTE COP: Only use a flute (or flutes) in combat. (Yes, using flute-tamed pets in combat counts.) Reach HMV.
    I LIKE THIS HAT: Find a hat on SMC or UD1 (start with one, if that is possible - it has to be a hat, not a hood). Wear it, never drop it, and reach HMV with it.
    THERE'S SOME LOVELY FILTH OVER THERE: Kill one each of the following: gray ooze, yellow ooze, ochre jelly, green slime. (WINNER: BARANOR)
    FLOAT LIKE A STONE, STUNG BY A BEE: Take a giant bee sting. Dive into a river without the Swimming skill.
    I DON'T WANT TO GO ON THE CART: Get at least eight zombies to surround you, closing you in.
    ADOM PLAYERS ARE SOPHISTICATED FELLOWS: Spell out a swear word of some kind using monsters. Post screenshot.
    WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE SNAKES: Get a wish. Wish for "more snakes". (WINNER: MEH)

If you can think of more and more awesome achievements, post them!
    Last edited by Silfir; 03-23-2010 at 11:05 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

nathrakh Guest

Well well. This sounds fun, Silfir. Imma try now!

edit: anyone who wants to spectate, do so. It's 1:00 here now, and I'll start @ 1:15 UTC+2

Achievement suggestions:

I'M MR. ARMSTRONG: Reach HMV using unarmed melee as only form of dealing damage.
    DOOMGUY: Pray about 13 times in the beginning to get DOOMED. Reach HMV never removing it.
    Last edited by nathrakh; 03-16-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Nice idea, just started. I don't play on the server so you'll have to believe me if I get something done. But I doubt so. Rolled a Salamander human thief.

Just died :P
    Last edited by warheart; 03-16-2010 at 10:19 PM.

I will beat both Silfir and nathrakh with ease!

nathrakh Guest

I got book-born gnomish barbarian. Quite nice but didn't get 3 talents, too bad. :/ Got safely to UD.. even got the blanket!

edit: ahaa..

You hit the large gnoll and severely injure him. You hear a thudding sound.
    The large gnoll hits you. The large gnoll hits you. You die...

Large gnoll got two moves after my sling shotted rock. How nice. I even had my prayers left.

Code:
    Toughboy, the gnomish barbarian, was killed by a large gnoll.
    He scored 1977 points and advanced to level 5.
    He survived for 0 years, 1 day, 15 hours, 7 minutes and 12 seconds (1805
    turns).
    Toughboy visited 5 places.
    His dexterity score was modified by +1 during his career.
    He ended his adventuring life in an unremarkable dungeon on level 2.
    34 monsters perished under his attacks.
    He possessed the following intrinsic:
      He was fire resistant (gained through an item).
    He had the following talents: Hardy, Long Stride, Tough Skin.
    He had a final speed score of 100 (final base speed: 100).
    He was religious.
    He did not ask for divine help.
    He was neutrally aligned.

The following monsters were vanquished:
          1 dwarf
          1 fire beetle
          1 ghost bat
          1 giant rat
          3 gnolls
          4 goblin rockthrowers
         11 hyenas
          1 kobold
          1 kobold chieftain
          1 large bat
          2 large gnolls
          4 orcs
          1 orc scorcher
          1 rat
          1 ratling fencer
    Last edited by nathrakh; 03-16-2010 at 10:27 PM.

Rolled a trollish thief and got a surge of power in UD:3 (that was the first surge of power I got for several months) and the guardian was Poon and I think he was an invisible stalker but I never saw him before he killed me. :P

Completed with a dwarven barbarian (one of my favs!) Did a new chalenge

DOES THIS EXTRA ARM LOOK FUNNY?: Beat the challenge while extremely corrupted
    When in darkness, you can always see the light (unless you're in ADOM)

Most successful combos for me: Grey elf wizards, trollish healers, dark elf beast-fighters, Gnomey monks, and any race barbarians.

Just an idea
    BANZAI = Never use missiles.
    Drug Addict = identify all herbs which are identifiable by try, without having herbalism
    Collector = Have 20 times the same thing. Herbs excluded.
    Basher = Get a club/hammer and let that be the only weapon you use, save if it gets destroyed, in which case you take out your spare.
    Last edited by Dudley; 03-16-2010 at 11:54 PM.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Greyhater, the dark elven mindcrafter was killed by psychic backlash
    on UD:1.

Didn't see the ghul in line with the jackel. Was playing what felt
    like a doomed PC from the start though. Had good starting items,
    and that's what kept me alive as long as I was. Dig wand, invis
    pot, dark scroll. Ultimately was sandwiched between ghost bat
    on one side, and ghul on the other, with 2 HP's. Next time...
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

nathrakh Guest

I was spectating your umm... struggle against the RNG and I was absolutely stunned once again of how _ruthless_ the RNG can be! I mean, SMC itself was quite hideous with that long corridor and endless stream of monsters and all that.. but unavoidable (could have used digging earlier tho..) mixed tension room on UD:1? And then you got monsters like rabid dog, claw bugs, ghost bat and ghul which all are immune to mindcraft... That's just.. wicked..