Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bard companions

Default bard companions

is there a list somewhere of campanions that a bard can get with music? i know they have to be pets but im wondering like what constitutes that cuz i cant find any pets since my bear died... no bats, no rats... idk?

Mostly any animal will do. I haven't seen a list anywhere, but give me some time and I'll see what I can do!
    When in darkness, you can always see the light (unless you're in ADOM)

Most successful combos for me: Grey elf wizards, trollish healers, dark elf beast-fighters, Gnomey monks, and any race barbarians.

You have to play an instrument and have a decent Music skill
    score to obtain a new pet; the pet can be almost any animal.
    Decent Music skill for a bard to tame I think is about 50, but
    to tame a deadly animal you probably will want it at 100.
    Code:
    Really kick the child? [y/N]

....@.....
    ....t.....
    Yo dawg I heard you like buffalo so I put buffalo in your Buffalo now you can buffalo Buffalo buffalo while your Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo!

Ultras: GE Farmer, Hurthling Thief, Orc Weaponsmith
    Wins: HE Priest, GE Wizard, Human Necromancer, Gnome Elementalist, HE barbarian, Gnome Mindcrafter, Hurthling Paladin, Troll Healer

If you can't find any bats or rats, I don't know what the hell happened, since they are extremely common monsters. Apart from those, any animal can be tamed, including insects, but I don't know of a complete list either.

If you have found animals but can't seem to be able to tame them, you probably haven't tried hard enough. Some bards may start with low enough score in Music that they need to train it before it works reliably.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

there is thing like min range of instrument.

From far away your music does not sound that clear, you know.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Best pet to get early on are cave bears in the wilderness. Most lizards are decent pets too (lightning or chaos lizards are fun), and tarantulas can be handy (try using music a lot vs a spider factory or a werewolf for a laugh). If you have water breathing then the giant dragon turtles in the water dragon's lair are tremendous pets, though a little dangerous. The best animal to tame though is generally the killer or greater claw bugs in the bug temple, but taming them is tricky and deadly.

Also, you can read scrolls of familiar summoning in dangerous areas to get some cool pets (not limited to just animals).
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by CConner187 View Post
    is there a list somewhere of campanions that a bard can get with music? i know they have to be pets but im wondering like what constitutes that cuz i cant find any pets since my bear died... no bats, no rats... idk?
    Bats and rats can be tamed. You may need to use your instrument several times before it sticks (there may be some level dependence too... I've found taming monsters in the SMC extraordinarily hard, for example).

Any animal can be tamed, these include:
    All (a) ants
    All (b) bees
    All (c) centipedes except shadow
    All (d) dogs except hell hounds (but including blink dogs).
    All (f) cats (except, of course, the cat lord)
    All (i) insects, including greater claw and killer bugs
    All (l) lizards except chaos and (maybe) karmic
    Rats and giant rats (r)
    All (s) snakes except stone, chaos, and from Beyond
    All (w) worms
    All (A) water creatures (some are very hard to tame)
    All (B) bats except ghost
    Giant boars (F), and possibly a few other beasts
    All (N) bears
    All (S) spiders except chaos

I think that's all of them.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 03-31-2010 at 06:55 PM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

nathrakh Guest

cursed instruments radius is 1, uncursed 2 and blessed 3. IIRC(!).

well thanx for that dudes.... appreciate it, my cave bear killed kranach and the sheriff wouldnt give me my gold LOL i always thought bards were gay imkinnda starting to like em

Quote Originally Posted by nathrakh View Post
    cursed instruments radius is 1, uncursed 2 and blessed 3. IIRC(!).
    you need adjustment of +1 to all ranges actually.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)