Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shops... without doors?

Default Shops... without doors?

Code:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                     Screenshot

#####################################################
               #...................[......................./.......#
               #.###########################################.......#   #########
               #     ..........#                           #.......#   #.......#
     ###########     #########.#                           #########  #........#
     #...../.../     #       #.#                                     #.#....>..#
     #...<.###########       #.#               ########### ##########.##.......#
     #.....#                 #.#               #.........# #.........# #.......#
     ####### #################.#################.........###.........# #.#######
             #................................./.........../.........# #.#
     #########.......#########.#################.........###.........# #/#########
     #@"""...........#       #.#               #.........# #.........# #.........#
     #""".####.}.....#   #####/#               ########### ###/#####/###.........#
     #"""./# #./.....#   #.....#                             #........(/.........#
     #"""@## #.......#   #.....#####################################.#############
     ######  #.......#   #...../.....................................#
             #########   #############################################

Jed           St:15  Le:18  Wi:16  Dx:14  To:15  Ch:12  Ap:10  Ma:20  Pe:20 N-
    DV/PV: 30/8    H: 61(61)      P: 104(104)    Exp: 10/14498      D: 2  Sp: 85
    Bloated Burdened Coward
    So I've just been clearing this level, hearing the bell and the shoplifter bitching, when I run out of pathways and still no shop.

I search all the obvious places, but no secret doors?

I go back and clear out the S section of the CoC, thinking it may have been some kind of level overlap bug(?), and the shop was on the other level? But no, no shop there.

I come back here, and I search all the obvious places again. Still no door, but still the bitching and the ringing. So I decide to do a thorough search on every section of wall.

While doing this, I get a wand of digging off a random mob. Sweet. So I start digging.

I find a shop. It's a tome shop, and it has an indent for a door... but no pathway. I search there for a good number of w,s's, still with no door found. What?

Is this a bug? Are tome stores normally like this? Does this just happen on occasion? whaaaaaaaaaat?
    Last edited by Jed D`Lagged; 04-02-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: w,s, not w5

hmmn this is the first time i've heard of this happening.....but i don't find all that many random shops.
    I haven't yet finished an ADOM game, but i haven't given up on trying yet either.

I think 2 or 3 secret doors were generated in front of the door. there supposed to be secret corridor. Damn that`s really interesting occasion )

I've had this happen on me once. gut posted a similar encounter before too. Quite annoying when you get the shop messages and explore the whole dungeon, kicking every damned wall and you still can't find the bloody store.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

And it's the same layout, even. Probably is a flawed map that is sometimes randomly generated.

Wow Maul! I wouldn't have noticed that myself, but
    now that you mention it, I DO think that's the exact
    same map! That's really wierd.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I hadn't noticed before my level layout was similar to the one you reported when this happened gut, but put it down to fluke. Seems it's quite ubiquitous. Not too surprising though. With a random level generated there's normally a single seed value, and the maximum number of possible levels is thus 65k or so. What we're seeing here is a specific one out of 65k with the added chance of a shop generated on it, and somehow there's a bug in this individual level layout. The chances for one of us are 1 in 650k or so, and for 3 of us around 1 in 2million, but since we all generated a few dozen levels per play it's bound to happen at some point.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

maybe it's a rare random generated room that is undetectable by the Magic Map spell and similar items? Unlikely perhaps, but there are still some anomolies appearing in the game. This was found on D2? Maybe some testing is needed here...

Slightly off topic, on one of my saves I have had a deviation between levels 1 and 3 of the CoC, there were two routes to chose from, with the code S1 and S2 for the floors in the alternative route. There didn't seem any point to this seperate route and nothing special was generated in these two extra floors. Maybe I have missed what these are or why they are there? Any ideas? Sorry if this seems obvious.

S1 and S2, or the "shortcut", is an alternate path through the top of the CoC that is sometimes generated.

The shortcuts have lower danger level, iirc.

I saw this in Gut's challenge once... I think it was one of the Fling the Bling challenges. I still have the file, so I'll go fetch it now.

Code:

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
                           ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓
                           ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
                           ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙/∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙/∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓
         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ▓∙∙∙∙∙/∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙/∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓
         ▓∙∙∙<∙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓▓▓∙∙∙∙/▓
         ▓∙∙∙∙∙▓           ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓                         ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓ ▓∙∙∙∙∙▓
         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓           ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓                         ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓ ▓/▓▓▓▓▓
                           ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓                         ▓∙∙@∙∙∙∙▓ ▓∙▓
             ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓/▓▓▓▓▓ ▓∙▓
             ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙/∙∙∙∙∙/∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙/∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓     ▓∙▓
             ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓/▓▓▓
             ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓     ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓                                 ▓∙∙∙∙∙▓
             ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓/▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓∙>∙∙∙▓
             ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓           ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙/∙∙∙∙∙▓
             ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓           ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

Go Crazy!     St:18  Le:19  Wi:13  Dx:20  To:10  Ch:13  Ap:22  Ma:16  Pe:20 N+
    DV/PV: 18/3    H: 53(53)      P: 28(28)      Exp: 10/15959      DDL   Sp: 99
    Satiated
    So now I will quit the game and see where the room is.

Code:

Do you want to examine your inventory? [Y/n]

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
                           ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓
                           ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
                           ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙/∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙/∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓
         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ▓∙∙∙∙∙/∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙/∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓
         ▓∙∙∙<∙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓▓▓∙∙∙∙/▓
         ▓∙∙∙∙∙▓           ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓                         ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓ ▓∙∙∙∙∙▓
         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓           ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓                         ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓ ▓/▓▓▓▓▓
                           ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓                         ▓∙∙@∙∙∙∙▓ ▓∙▓
     ▓▓▓▓▓▓  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓/▓▓▓▓▓ ▓∙▓
     ▓""""▓  ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙/∙∙∙∙∙/∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙/∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓     ▓∙▓
     ▓"""∙▓▓ ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓/▓▓▓
     ▓"""∙/▓ ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓     ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓                                 ▓∙∙∙∙∙▓
     ▓"""∙▓▓ ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓/▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓∙>∙∙∙▓
     ▓""""▓  ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▓           ▓∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙/∙∙∙∙∙▓
     ▓""""▓  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓           ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓▓▓▓
    Go Crazy!     St:18  Le:19  Wi:13  Dx:20  To:10  Ch:13  Ap:22  Ma:16  Pe:20 N+
    DV/PV: 18/3    H: 53(53)      P: 28(28)      Exp: 10/15959      DDL   Sp: 99
    Satiated
    Similar, but no, not the same. Sorry to ruin it for you, Grey. Shops get generated a little differently from the other rooms, all the normal rooms have an odd number of squares in width and height, and these shops have an even number in both dimensions. As such, they sometimes fail to get connected by the regular algorithms.
    ▼ All their fault. ▼