Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: iADOM Discussion

Crawl has tiles.

http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/downloads

To my knowledge, they have never tried to sell it,
    but since it's open source...
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Then it's not a valid example of why you can't sell roguelikes. A valid example would be someone trying to sell a (good) roguelike and not succeeding.

I think 5-10 years ago it would have been all but impossible to sell something like a roguelike. But now, with things like Steam, and with many gamers angry with big companies due to intrusive DRM and supporting indie gaming, it's different. There's many people paying $10 for things like Audiosurf or $4 for Geometry Wars.

To be honest, I personally wouldn't buy ADOM Deluxe if it was for sale. Not because
    I don't want to pay, but because I don't have a credit card and I don't think ADOM
    would make it to local stores..

Then again, there is this alternative called Ideal. This is another way of transferring
    money online, I think it's mainly used in Europe. It lets you transfer the money directly
    from your bank account, without needing a credit card. If I could buy it using that
    system, I'd do it.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I'm not getting an iPad.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Then again, there is this alternative called Ideal. This is another way of transferring money online, I think it's mainly used in Europe. It lets you transfer the money directly
    from your bank account, without needing a credit card. If I could buy it using that
    system, I'd do it.
    If my suggestion were followed, the Steam distribution system supports PayPal which also allows payment by bank account without credit card, like the Ideal system that you describe.

Mention Steam to TB then, if you haven't already. It
    sounds better than ipad to me, but I just don't see
    people paying.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by fazisi View Post
    I'm not getting an iPad.
    Same here. I would look at that steam thing however, and possibly buy it on there.
    I haven't yet finished an ADOM game, but i haven't given up on trying yet either.

Default ipad - bleah...

As someone who KNOWS that apple products are WAY WAY overhyped and doesn't really care for them at all - why can't we have ADOM for other/better devices? Maybe even one that embraces open source and won't make you jump through hoops to get it on their store - like Android!!

Make and Android app instead - in my opinion 100000000000x better!

Default ADOM free?

Personally, I'd like to keep ADOM free. That's what makes it such a great game for me. It's simplicity added with it overly complicated junk make it a really worthwhile game. Sure, most people who already KNOW about ADOM would buy the paid version for whatever, but all those others who don't know about it will probably just ignore it (Like I do with apps for the Ipod that look weird or boring but aren't)

Over all, I saw "Keep ADOM Free!" or KAF for short.
    When in darkness, you can always see the light (unless you're in ADOM)

Most successful combos for me: Grey elf wizards, trollish healers, dark elf beast-fighters, Gnomey monks, and any race barbarians.

Is there any chance of porting this to the iphone/ipod touch? I have an ipod touch and I would definitely pay for the app. I believe iphone apps make quite a bit of revenue and they're great for getting more exposure (with a pc game, you have to rely on online distribution or convincing retailers to stock it). I honestly don't see the iPad catching on, while the phone platform is probably here to stay.

The main problem is the interface (which is admittedly a huge problem and I'm guessing it's the reason for porting it to the iPad instead). But I think a simplified version would be just as playable, and since it's a phone game it doesn't have to be a full-length game. The nethack ports are ok, but having full-size levels and the entire command set makes even the best port really cumbersome. It made an effort to put the commonly used commands right on the main screen, but I still found myself constantly going into the menu to find a command.

That said, I think smartphones would be a much better platform. They have a built-in keyboard, and a nicer aspect ratio (the iphone is too tall, and fitting controls in landscape mode would be a pain). I don't know how much of the target demographic has a smart phone, but it could be worth considering.