Thread: reading books and spell knowledge

Default reading books and spell knowledge

I wonder how is the spell knowledge gained from reading a book calculated. I've read it depends on your Learning (does it depend on literacy too?) and I've read there's a soft cap after which each reading only give you few points of spell knowledge.

Has anyone done any research about that? What I'd like to know is when the soft cap is reached and how severe is it, i.e. how little spell knowledge you gain after crossing the cap, in comparison to what you'd gain before the cap.

Apart from learning, I'd say there's a number of factors involved:
    Spell difficulty - Light and Darkness spells being the easiest, ball spells are much harder, wish is almost impossible for non-specialized characters.

Char Level - possibly connected with the above

Char Class, some classes cannot learn spells at all, while some have it easier.

The next three 'could' be a factor, my personal experience tells me there's a correlation, but I've never tested it thouroghly

Concentration - I am fairly certain that this is a factor, but I may be mistaking it for class.

Mana score.

Book's b/u/c status.

Learning, literacy and pretty sure its concentration too. I think there's something else involved too, been starting a lot of gnomish wizards lately and despite them having Le in the 20's and ofcourse literacy at 100 they get very varying results from spellbooks, some get 200 castings of magic missile while others get 700. Quess it could just be the status of the spellbook.

But haven't done any real research, all just gut feeling and reading the guides.

Edit: Spectre was faster

Should be pointed out that the amount of randomness involved is great. Sometimes you get ~20 points, sometimes ~200 points with the same PC reading the same book. This makes it difficult to do any reliable research (without, shame on the thought, code diving).

And the connection between the current spell knowledge and the average next gain?

That would be very good to figure out, because you could decide whether to keep the spellbook until your spell knowledge drops or to read it whole the moment you pick it up.
    Last edited by klarki; 04-16-2010 at 10:51 AM.

you can look at my skill guide for some ideas [IIRC it included conc and literation and has some data on topic]

http://skillguide.blogspot.com/

From what i remember:
    Literacy is basically chance to read book [or avoid bad things while doing so]
    I am unsure how Concentration is involved [IIRC there was some flaw in research data].

Points are mainly based on Le, might be on Wi too. Char level might have influence [can't locate my notes on this - stupid, stupid hardware crashes].

Mindcrafters are royally screwed for book reading, some other cases like trolls and elementalists are rumoured too, but i am unsure.
    There is a thing as max possible gain per reading.

Although honestly i would like to see someone like Twinge popping in and telling I am an idiot since code clearly...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Thanks a lot, Soirana, that was interesting

If you don't mind code diving, exact workings of learning spells have been determined. For that I can say class is single most dominant factor, with wizards and priests receving huge bonus while barbarians and mindcrafters suffer huge penalty.

Trolls also suffer a blanket penalty to bookreading.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.