Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142 LastLast

Thread: Duel to the Death: Discussion

I've already played out so this is rather pointless.

As a fan of being in letter with rules i will still wait for Darren's decision. Really don't wanna make his life easier...

Nope banjo is not local, we prefer sound which synchronize with rain an wind...
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._sutartine.ogv
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

this thread seems to have a fair share of wind
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

fuck if i scored less than the mandoline guy it will have fair share of rain too.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!

Quote Originally Posted by Confucio View Post
    OH MY GOD!

Pumpernickel
    if You tink that i would cheat, in a competition where there are no rewards, on a forum, in a nerdy games who is played from TEN person in all the universe, You could be a very sad person
    Oh, i am. <g>

No, i don't actually suspect you of cheating, but pre-finals i would have wanted you thrown out - because people _could_ cheat in this manner and you'd set a bad example, albeit unwittingly. Basically, if you want to create a tricky situation at the end of your turn, i think you should give precise information - or abstain from the exercise.

Actually, i would first have thrown Soirana out for trash talk. Or for rules lawyering.

Since these are the finals, and you haven't caused Soirana any harm (unfortunately), i'm totally _against_ a disqualification.

Complicated enough?

[E]dit: ah, i'm glad i've not played in any tournaments. If _i_ were throwing one, everybody would have to be on the best of their behaviour and about 10&#37; of Silfir's rants on his tournament vids would have gotten him kicked out. It's just not a communication style i find tolerable. Of course, this produced a fair bit of whiplash when reading this thread and finding just how much some tried to come over as unmitigated arseholes.
    Last edited by Pumpernickel; 05-14-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Throwing out people for trash talk or rules lawyering? Who would be left to actually play?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Non insect rape related shoe selling bots?

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Throwing out people for trash talk or rules lawyering? Who would be left to actually play?
    If they all die quick enough, they can't be DQd for post-mortem rants. No wait, of course they can. I Am The Rules!

Suggesting that people who don't lamely leech their knowledge off the Guidebook are dubiously disposed towards noobs (or pointy sticks) should also get you thrown out. (I don't understand the sentence, and i wrote it. But it ends 'should get you thrown out', which is o.k. by me.)

Hmmm, that would really be some interesting tourney idea - only i know the exact rules, and i can throw out everyone who displeases me. I'd certainly have fun. Soirana could get a special trophy for managing _not_ to get kicked out. Still, it could be difficult to get participants.

I sure don't appreciate the veteran players talking down to people who are less skilled than them, be it in communicating in English or in playing a fucking computer game. No one should be surprised if ADOM dies because of a hostile community quicker than it would die from a lack of updates.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

Quote Originally Posted by Confucio View Post
    First of all, i must (another time just in case...) say sorry for my shitty english
    sadly i'm a lazy italian guy, an so:
    i'm able only to play mandolino, eat pizza and spaghetti, an sing all the time.
    Well that settles it - everyone knows Italians are the worst cheaters in the world, especially when it comes to football and women and roguelikes...

Second: i've write the first report in very short time, (and played also the turn in few seconds)
    i've wrote : "Zap the Wand of trap creation all around in the room there was 8 charges.... then wait untill the turn end."
    Probably i've used a wrong expression, sorry for that. But i use the expression "all Around" as, somethingh like "everywere" (in effect in the italian language are pretty the same word). So i've zapped the wand "almost" randomly "all around" my position.
    Low time for report isn't a very good excuse - if you have time to play you have time to report. The reporting is an essential element of the game.

When I first read the report it seemed to me like you'd zapped the 8 squares directly around you, but when I read it later I realised it was a bit more ambiguous. If Soirana had died from your ambiguous report and you had survived I wouldn't have hesitated in DQing you (and rerunning the final with JellySlayer instead). As it stands it's not clear you gained any benefit from your tactics, so I'll have to give you the benefit of the doubt. If it were earlier in the competition I'd give you a warning to be clearer with your reports (as I've had to do with certain chaotic-minded players in the past) - as things stand I guess it's a bit late for that.

As I've said before ADOM relies on faith in all player reports, whether YAVPs or these little games. If anyone decides to cheat to gain some small notoriety in this little community then obviously their victory is hollow and they are the true loser at heart.

Anyone can savescum to win this competition if they're really crooked (though I suppose I shouldn't give gut ideas here), so it's impossible to have a perfectly moderated competition. Ultimately I think some faith in the players is necessary. Without evidence of unfair gain I won't disqualify anyone, and I don't think there's sufficient evidence here.

I expect both finalists to produce full reports of their deciding turn shortly.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    If Soirana had died from your ambiguous report and you had survived I wouldn't have hesitated in DQing you
    I had dejavu about such discussions. Once again you penalising good players.

That is your choice and i will drop final screenshot. Since i cannot find rule forcing me to write report I won't do it as... Well, maybe i will send insults in more personal form.
    Last edited by Soirana; 05-14-2010 at 05:59 PM.