Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When/how often do you go for the RotMC?

Default When/how often do you go for the RotMC?

I try with almost every character I make to avoid killing cats, but I always seem to smush one by accident. Sometimes it's my impatience and the desire to just hold the arrow keys when running down long corridors in low-danger areas, but that's a habit I'm trying to break. I just accidentally killed my first one on this character while I was leading it into a secluded room to lock up and get out of the way. Triggered a door trap and it killed him.

I know a lot of people prefer to kill cats and buff up the MC so he gives a lot of experience, but I'm an artifact junkie, and I'm terrified of the master cats's strength when I've killed one cat. Do you avoid killing cats? If so, is it always, or only under certain circumstances? Just curious how other people feel about it.

I always try, but never get it. There's always something, like a kitty in a dark room 2 levels above the MC (in my last game). That p***ed me off.
    The Adom wiki: everything you need to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/ADOM_Wiki

used to always get it, then just stopped, and haven't since...
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Part of my desire to finish the game with a particular PC dies whenever the first cat does. I tend to go to pretty extreme lengths to avoid killing the buggers. Its only a small part though, the part that dies. A larger part goes "yes, no more fucking around with cats with this PC, awesome".

Same thing as Vogonpoet. If i can void them, i do. Not going to wate precious things on them though
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Doesn't hurt trying until it is not too dangerous to char. Although ring is not that much of deal. Honestly none of single items are big deal in late game - I managed to get dusted whole inventory [and i am packrat] arround earth temple few times and still succeed in closing gates...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I plan on getting the ring with every character, unless I created the character just to pass the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by vogonpoet View Post
    A larger part goes "yes, no more fucking around with cats with this PC, awesome".
    I feel that way too. Especially if my character has a lot of bolt spells and such.
    Your armor weakens, oh my!

Recently played a druid, he tried to go for it.
    Bards have few problems with cats.

If a magic-user quickly gets appropriate spells, then why not.
    If you get quick movement and can dig, might as well. But that is generally later in the game when you've killed a few anyway.

Otherwise, too much hassle, and being all pacifist on cats generally seems wrong to me, after I've loaded up on adrenaline and bloodlust. So they tend to end up dead. First one I run across in my way, I stop up a little and think of ways to avoid it, but then my reason kicks in and tells me that I'll not have the patience to dance around shutting cats into rooms and that the ring isn't that great either (weigh it up against 2 PC levels and any other ring {slaying?})
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health

I don't make much bother avoiding to kill cats. I think I've gotten the ring once. Most of the time I think the xp he gives is more worth than the actual ring.

I try to get almost all of the time and more often than not succeed.