Thread: Strange cat behavior...

Default Strange cat behavior...

So I killed my first cat by accidentally triggering a door trap. The fireball consumed it, and he died. However, I didn't get that "cat's spirit rising from its body" message. I figured i had blown it and went about killing cats when they were in my way. Didn't get that message with any of them.

I just killed like my sixth one, and I did get that message. Anyone know what exactly happened here? Could I have got the ring if I hadn't killed that last cat? Has this happened to you before? I am so confused

The message requires a perception check. If your Pe is below about 10, you won't ever see it. If you're above, maybe 18, you should always see it--it's unreliable. Press :k and if you see a cat on the list, then you've lost the ring.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by Snock View Post
    I didn't get that "cat's spirit rising from its body" message. I figured i had blown it and went about killing cats when they were in my way.

I just killed like my sixth one, and I did get that message. Anyone know what exactly happened here? Could I have got the ring if I hadn't killed that last cat?
    No, the chance was gone with the first cat that went on your ':k'ills list. As the other poster said, there's a Pe-dependent chance for getting the message - for every cat you kill, until the message has been delivered.

I had a troll (char, not me) who had 8 Pe. Killed 4-5 cats. Found a carrot room, and had athletics, so Pe raised to 15. Next cat gave message.'

And seriously, why bother. HEheh. Kill 'em all.
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health