Thread: Thieving questions

Default Thieving questions

In my quest to finish the game with each class once, I've come upon the thief. Now I've noticed two things:

a) When I got stunned and staggered around, I got the "You do not manage to concentrate enough to search" message (or something). During this time, no one else moved. They started moving again when I stopped being stunned. This is probably a bug similar to the kicking bug for monks. Has anyone noticed this before?

It's potentially abusable with a wand of stunning aimed at yourself; you could use the turns of staggering to get a bit of extra distance between you and your pursuers. As far as I know, you can still use spells while stunned. Would have to test if it works while confused as well.

b) I seem to find an awful lot of shops. Could it be thieves get the same generation rate as merchants do?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

i have played more thieves than most so i guess i can answer your questions:

1) yes, that's a known bug as far as i know... autosearch makes every other hostile monster to just stand still until you recover from you stun/confusion

2) I have never noticed any increase in shop generation with thieves, once or twice an absurd number of shops were generated (4+ in UD alone) but i didn't remember if i got the two headed calf message when generating the character, and my guess is that i did. Because in the vast majority of games, i didn't find any random shops.
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Mindcrafter.
    Lvl 50 High Elf Assassin (Dual weilding).
    Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.
    Lvl 50 Gnomish Assassin (Failed ultra turned normal gate closer)
    Lvl 50 Hurthling Thief (ULE).

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    In my quest to finish the game with each class once, I've come upon the thief. Now I've noticed two things:

a) When I got stunned and staggered around, I got the "You do not manage to concentrate enough to search" message (or something). During this time, no one else moved. They started moving again when I stopped being stunned. This is probably a bug similar to the kicking bug for monks. Has anyone noticed this before?

It's potentially abusable with a wand of stunning aimed at yourself; you could use the turns of staggering to get a bit of extra distance between you and your pursuers. As far as I know, you can still use spells while stunned. Would have to test if it works while confused as well.

b) I seem to find an awful lot of shops. Could it be thieves get the same generation rate as merchants do?
    a) yes, it is known. It also does some nonsense in wilderness too - as you do not drown/suffer item damage in river for example.

b) no, just your awesome luck.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)