Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weakest Link 2010: Discussion Thread

Default The Weakest Link 2010: Discussion Thread

You stand amidst a braying crowd surrounding a huge arena. Thousands of spectators around you are shouting and screaming for action, whilst ratling vendors shuffle through the aisles, pawning their wares off to hungry mouths and offering out bet slips on the upcoming matches. The tension around you is rife, the whole air filled with expectation, and you strain to get a closer look at the arena floor where all eyes are drawn.

Huge gates open up at the base end of the arena, and two score of warriors march boldly through. They glance nervously at the thronged stands around them, where eager faces size them up, analysing how many pints of blood each man and woman holds. They cautiously stay away from the cages at the sides, filled with roaring lions, screeching harpies, and abominable demons beyond description. They slowly approach the huge throne at the head of the arena floor, and the confident smirks on their faces are suddenly swept away as they look upon the monstrous form that sits idly on the massive stand. Lumps of fear build up in their throats as they take in the thick skin networked in foot-long scars, the weathered steel plates of armour covering its body, and most of all the evil glare from its dark eyes, redolent in ancient cunning.

The Arena Grandmaster sweeps an impassive gaze across the paltry gladiators that dare advance into his great Arena of Death. "So, miserable mortals, you think yourselves brave for coming here? You think yourselves ready for fame eternal? You think yourselves destined for unmatched glory and a place amongst the undying stars?!" He suddenly bursts into booming laughter, and the hideous sound echoes around the dark arena walls. "Thrice-counted fools and retarded brigands!! You shall all DIE here! You are not here for glory, and your fame shall be the notoriety of the most misfortunate whelps that history has spawned! You are here for the sole purpose of our entertainment, to spill your blood and guts before our eyes that we may laugh at your pathetic suffering!
    From the Dungeons of Infinity none shall return, and your only hope is a noble death. It is an empty hope... So go forth now, you disgusting dogs, and tear each other to shreds for our amusement! Battle it out before our watching eyes to see who is the strongest amongst you, and who shall prove themselves... The Weakest Link!!!"

The crowd erupts in cheers and excited screams, and you find yourself jumping up from your seat and yelling down at the pathetic huddle of warriors as they are separated into six groups. Huge yawning doors are opened up in the arena floor, leading down into dark depths of infinity. The six groups nervously shuffle forwards, their limbs suddenly trembling and their wills now thoroughly shaken. You laugh at them, finding no pity for their desperate plight, and hungry only to see the exciting cavalcade of death. As the stalls settle down and the ratlings more franticly pitch their bets you think with joy on the torrents of blood about to be spilled before your eyes... and you salivate.

Welcome, all, to The Weakest Link 2010! Forty adventurers shall battle it out in the dungeons of infinity to see who can last longest and who can dive deepest. For two rounds they shall play co-operatively, but after that the chaos gates shall be opened and all manner of chaotic and competitive tactics shall be brought to the fore. The champions of each league will then fight in a final league, and the sole winner shall be crowned the Lord of Corruption. All the other weakest links shall be forgotten forever...

Doomed to be annihilated in the League of Mana:

1. Soirana
    2. Grey
    3. JellySlayer
    4. _Ln_ (dead)
    5. vogonpoet
    6. Epythic (dead)

The First Round Leagues:

Doomed to burn in the League of Fire:

_Ln_ (victorious!)
    mingos (disqualified)
    CheatMan (dead)
    Thing (dead)
    Maul (dead)
    Baranor (dead)
    nathrakh (withdrawn)

Doomed to drown in the League of Water:

HotChick (disqualified)
    Grey (victorious!)
    gut (dead)
    Python (dead)
    Albahan (dead)
    Laukku (dead)
    pblack (dead)

Doomed to suffocate in the League of Air:

Jack_the_Ripper (dead)
    Timpak (dead)
    Cash (dead)
    Irinka (dead)
    Confucio (removed)
    vogonpoet (victorious!)
    Al-Khwarizmi (dead)

Doomed to be crushed in the League of Earth:

CConner187 (dead)
    JellySlayer (victorious!)
    fazisi (dead)
    gekko (dead)
    Sulangatori (dead)
    tapi (withdrawn)
    BlkDucky (dead)

Doomed to freeze in the League of Ice:

Soirana (victorious!)
    Toan (disqualified)
    deepshock (dead)
    meh (dead)
    LuciusKain (dead)
    Silfir (dead)
    Overheat (dead)

Doomed to dissolve in the League of Acid:

Epythic (victorious!)
    grahbrains (dead)
    Anzufvytar (dead)
    Orbic (dead)
    Molach (quit)
    zsomkovacs (dead)

The winning player from each league shall compete in the final League of Mana.
    Ascended: JellySlayer (I59), Soirana (I40), _Ln_ (I37), Grey (I24), vogonpoet (I20), Epythic (I15)

mingos, HotChick, Al-Khwarizmi, Sulangatori, Soirana and Epythic, it is now your duty to start off your respective leagues. Please refer to the rules thread and be sure all the rules are clear to you.

This thread is for general discussion all the leagues by everyone (spectators included). Flamewars and insults against each others' mums should take place in the Flames thread. Game reports and save file uploads will be made in separate threads for each league - please do not make discussion posts in those threads. Players are encouraged to record their games with CamStudio to improve the spectator nature of the sport.
    Last edited by Grey; 06-27-2010 at 10:23 AM.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Last in my group eh? Nice.

Huh, nice PCs for the fire league and water leagues - will the drakling starve to death though?

The suspense is killing me... an orc blinger? Awesome
    Last edited by vogonpoet; 05-31-2010 at 04:38 PM.

I would encourage to make predictions for league winners. Not like i feel like shipping prize, but if yiou guess all of them... who knows.

Me try:
    LN
    Hot chick
    Confucio
    Jelly
    me
    Orbic
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Ice league again.

IIRC, two from our league reached the top four last year, and it looks like a decent bunch of players this time as well.

Well looks like the Acid boys drew the PC short straw... a high elven thief would not be my first ID diving choice...

All threads are posted now. Let the games begin!

Uh, but let me know if I've made any mistakes in the posts. I might have missed out on mentioning the Quick talent that some chars got.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

HotChick
    Grey
    gut
    I can haz randomly generated player list?

In answer to Epythic's question, anyone is allowed to rename the character as they wish.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    I would encourage to make predictions for league winners. Not like i feel like shipping prize, but if yiou guess all of them... who knows.
    Jelly's picks:

nathrakh
    gut
    Confucio
    .... Okay, JellySlayer
    Soirana
    Epythic
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Hmm, my own bets:

Baranor
    (me)
    Al-Khwarizmi
    JellySlayer
    meh
    Molach

Will be interesting to see who gets the most right...
    Platinum Edition ADOMer