Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Semicolons

, = pause

; = EPIC PAUSE!!
    When in darkness, you can always see the light (unless you're in ADOM)

Most successful combos for me: Grey elf wizards, trollish healers, dark elf beast-fighters, Gnomey monks, and any race barbarians.

> Semicolons are not supercommas. I don't even know what that means

Join da club
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I already explained it but let me supply some contrast as to why they are good.

While searching for a good place to bury the body, I travelled to London, England, London, Ontario, and London, West Virginia.
    While searching for a good place to bury the body, I travelled to London, England; London, Ontario; and London, West Virginia.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

I didn't know that 'london ontario' was a sentence. Who needs verbs though.

While hiding fazisi's body parts, I travelled to: London, England, London, Atlantis, London, Pergatory.

If use gonna use a list, use gonna use a :
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    I didn't know that 'london ontario' was a sentence. Who needs verbs though.
    It's an item in a list. Items in a list are usually separated by a comma. However, "London, Ontario" and all those other places already have a comma in them, which will make problems. So, the items are separated with semicolons instead.

While hiding fazisi's body parts, I travelled to: London, England, London, Atlantis, London, Pergatory.
    Why visit London three times?

If use gonna use a list, use gonna use a :
    Huh? Use use use use?
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

Don't even bother, Laukku. gut's response clearly displays why his feeble hick brain cannot comprehend the use of grammar. He couldn't even use a colon right while starting a list.

A proper use of a colon with similar sentence structure would be
    While hiding fazisi's body parts, I traveled to several cities: London, England; London, Atlantis; and London, Purgatory.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

Well, i would think that someone going under the name 'gut' should be an expert on colons; and duodenums and appendices.

Anyway, to contribute to the debate:
    It's not the age that makes a cheese good - it's the type of milk you use and the processes. A gouda, no matter how old, gets nowhere near as good as a nice young goat's cheese. And don't get me started on blue or red mould cheese, or pressed ...
    A lifetimes worth of great taste experiences, and that's just the cheeses!

Quote Originally Posted by Timpak View Post
    Haven't read the rest of the thread. But semicolon is really not necessary to write good grammar and most people that uses it use it in the wrong way. It is supposed to be used when puncuation is to strong but comma causes comma splice. Usually you can remove that need by adding a coordinating conjunction or just rephrasing. Personally I stay away from it since I'm really not sure when it fits since I'm not used to reading texts with it within.
    I know, but sometimes they make things easier to understand (when the sentences are related). A vs an is not when there is a constant and vowel, but when there is a constant sound and a vowel sound.

Those damned Americans always write a lot of commas. Because it is inconvenient to put a point with a pencil.

Oh shit don't even get me started on cheese. But you already have I see ... I, for one, am a fan of aged gouda. The only problem is that it fucks up my pallette if I eat too much. Why I don't know but there it is. Most young cheeses are too delicate, but having smooth delicate flavors is sometimes better than the bold flavors that many aged cheeses that stink up your living room. Although I still like the ones that stink the most the most. And one thing that bugs me is that no one seems to know that there is such a thing as sheep's milk cheeses, and those are really good cheeses.
    As for the list of cities, I've never seen semicolons used that way although I suppose one could do that to avoid confusion. But I would much rather, if I were to write such a thing, write merely the names of the cities, and if there were cities whom shared the same name I would then extrapolate on that in a later sentence, or perhaps divide the clauses with a lovely semicolon.