Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: newb speaking

Default newb speaking

Hey guys I've just recently started ADOM, yesterday in fact. I have quite a strong nethack/crawl background, have ascended nethack upwards of 25 times, and won crawl over 10, so I know what I'm doing in terms of roguelikes, but not in ADOM

After a brief start with a random char (which died in the wilderness to some hobgoblins :P) I listened to some advice on #adom.
    I've now had 3 goes with orcish barbarians; the first starved after messing around in the plains, the second died at level 8 to a steel golem (I'm guessing I shouldn't have gone there) but the third is progressing quite nicely. So far I've done the peaceful healing quest, converted mainly to neutral (N- alignment) and then joined in the fun in the main dungeon, clearing the graveyard and reaping the rewards from the dwarf leader. Where should a newbie like me go next?

My stuff:

level 12 orcish barbarian, St:27 Le: 2 Wi:11 Dx:17 To:23 Ch: 1 Ap: 7 Ma: 1 Pe:19 N-
    DV/PV: 49/17 H: 178(178) P: 0(0) Exp: 12/107892 D: 9 Sp: 110

A - Head : horned helmet [+3, +1] [100s]
    B - Neck : uncursed pearl necklace [2s]
    C - Body : uncursed mithril ring mail (-1, -1) [-1, +5] [240s]
    D - Girdle : uncursed mithril girdle [+0, +2] [20s]
    E - Cloak : cursed cloak of defense [+3, +0] [20s]
    F - Right Hand : blessed spear (+2, 1d8+1) [50s]
    G - Left Hand : uncursed large adamantium shield (-1) [+9, +3] [86s]
    H - Right Ring : uncursed ring of mental stability [+0, +1] {Le+1} [1s]
    I - Left Ring : uncursed agate ring [1s]
    J - Bracers : uncursed bracers of defense [+2, +0] [10s]
    K - Gauntlets : uncursed blue gauntlets [10s]
    L - Boots : uncursed spiked boots [-1, +1] [30s]
    M - Missile weapon: -
    N - Missiles : 8 rocks (+0, 1d4) [40s]
    O - Tool : uncursed round key [1s]

I'm posting here because I was told to go on the forums :P

Oh, and any extra help/advice you could offer me would be great
    Last edited by casmith789; 06-10-2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: extra help

Level up to level 13 in the Big Room, then attempt the Pyramid.
    You might want to level beyond 13 to improve your chances, but at level 16 the Pyramid locks.

Also: 27 strength explains how you're killing everything so easy.
    Gate closers: (ImmaNinja Level 44 Drakish Monk);
    Ultras: Maybe one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir
    I was hoping for additional insight, especially as to the connection to alcoholic beverages insofar as non-consensual sexual relations with insects are concerned. Alas, my hopes were in vain.

Keep an eye out for a better weapon. Have you done all of the Dwarf quests? One of them will give you a very nice (albeit heavy) weapon that will be a huge improvement over your current gear.

If you've done the Dwarven graveyard, I think you missed two of the main rewards. There's a nice pair of gauntlets hidden in the large chamber where the necromancer was. Griff Bloodaxe was also buried with his favourite sword.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 06-11-2010 at 01:00 AM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

You look well set for the pyramid except for that missing level. Have you dealt with the other Thrundarr quests? The first one (slay a [insert either very common or infuriatingly rare creature] to prove your valor) gets you Literacy as a reward; definitely something you want. After you've done that, you can explore past the Animated Forest without forfeiting the second quest reward, let Khelavaster die and collect the water orb. Did you fetch the elemental gauntlets from the dwarven graveyard?

Try to get crowned champion of your god; most of the cases, an orcish Barbarian gets a kickass weapon out of it that can be used to plow through the rest of the game. More kickass than the one the Dwarven quests will give you in the end. To get crowned, you need to be at the alignment closest to your god's ideals (C-, N= or L+) and sacrifice lots and lots of stuff (mainly gold).

EDIT: Don't worry about the sword in the Graveyard, it's total rubbish for a Barbarian. But do get the gauntlets!
    Last edited by Silfir; 06-11-2010 at 01:03 AM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

IIRC, the pyramid closes at lvl 17.

Since you are new, you may not know that wearing artifacts increases hunger rate. So don't wear to many unless you have lots of food.

The weapon you get from crowning is good unless it is the one that isn't.

Do get the weapon from the Graveyard, it is worth sacrificing for lots of piety.

Off topic- you beat NetHack 25 times? Wow, I have only ascended three times-Valkyrie, Barbarian, Priest.
    Closers- GE Wizard, DE Beastfighter, DE Barb
    Ultras- DE Barb ULE
    OCG- Maybe someday
    ADOM projects- Overheat style LP -maybe.

mmm... i do not recall wining Crawl ever, so...

More on topic. It is no point to keep key in tool slot. Keys are mostly used ion automatic basis in ADOM which might be or not be good.

Welll, we would not mind if you post whole logfile [pres aither "(" or ")" in game, do not recall which one gives short report]
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Okay cool, I'll do that I picked up the gloves, if they were in a secret room behind the main chamber, I just didn't try them cause they were called "gauntlets" and were cursed: if that's the right pair?

I was told by #adom to get the sword to sell but I didn't have any digging, I have a couple of unIDd wands but I haven't used them.

And okay, what should I keep in the tool slot?

I'm going to the bigroom now :P Cheers for all the help, I'll keep you updated?

Aside: nethack; Apparently 35 times, I couldn't remember :P 21 under my main account "casmith789" on nethack.alt.org, 5 on a separate account "casvalk", and 9 at the dev/null tournament last year. These 35 include 12 valks :P but have every role in

Quote Originally Posted by casmith789 View Post

And okay, what should I keep in the tool slot?
    torch/spenseweed/orb. Most of time.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

And the rest, a pickaxe.

Aside : Just restarted nethack recently, and really, adom has much more of a plotline.
    As for crawl... gosh, well made religion, but in general the game is weird.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

In general, if you don't have an Orb, don't keep anything in your tool slot - your pickaxe will just get destroyed if you leave it there.