Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music problem

Default Music problem

Hello, guys. I tried a bard few times, but faced a strange problem: music skill don't want to work. My last bard began with Music skill at 93 and mandoline. I came to VD:1 and tried to tame a rat(plased mandoline in a tool slot and 'u'sed it), but no reaction. I used an instrument 20 times on coward tactics and rat just continued to attack me. Before that i tried to use music with other bards on the other animals, but with the same result. What could it be?
    P.S. Sorry for my bad English.

I have encountered the same problems. This seems to only happen to some characters. They can't tame anything.

There's a level and skill requirement on taming I believe. It might have some connection with the fact that SMC rats are at least level 2 - they're higher level than you, which might be the reason you can't tame them with a completely fresh level 1 character.
    Last edited by Silfir; 06-17-2010 at 05:07 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    There's a level and skill requirement on taming I believe. It might have some connection with the fact that SMC rats are at least level 2 - they're higher level than you, which might be the reason you can't tame them with a completely fresh level 1 character.
    He was in VD, not SMC. You might be right about the level requirement, however.
    Gate closers: (ImmaNinja Level 44 Drakish Monk);
    Ultras: Maybe one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir
    I was hoping for additional insight, especially as to the connection to alcoholic beverages insofar as non-consensual sexual relations with insects are concerned. Alas, my hopes were in vain.

I tamed greater claw bugs with lv1 char with music at 60. Persistence is a key.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

You can only have a maximum of three tamed pets on a dungeon level at a time. Place pets elsewhere (on another level or in pet heaven) before attempting to tame a new pet.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

Sorry, but i tried 20 times or so, i had only 1 starting pet with me and i was on VD:1. I doubt it can be level problem, because i heard about guy, that ended game with level 1 bard. I also don't think it's about persistence, because 20 tries with no result against the weakest animal in this game(and music skill 93!!!) is just ridiculous. I can believe that it might be a situational bug, but i tried few more bards with the same result(no taming, death and despair). I asked just in case somebody already faced this problem and know how to beat it, but if no, then i'm sorry, i'll better give up on a pet-using bard and pick another class. I just had 3-rd victory few days ago(first victory without any scumming and surprisingly with gnome farmer) and it's hard to decide which char should i make next(wanted a bard, but u see).
    Anyway, thank you for answers and again, sorry for my awful English.

20 times is not a lot to try taming, really. If the RNG doesn't like you, it can take a lot more than that, especially since your skill isn't max. Music also has a range of only 2 or 3 squares, so if the monster isn't close to you, it won't work. Monsters from vaults or tension rooms (or the SMC) tend to be harder to tame in my experience.

Honestly, though, rats probably aren't worth your time to tame anyway. Find yourself bear or a greater claw bug (bug infested temple area) and you'll probably have better luck with getting somewhere with pets.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    20 times is not a lot to try taming, really. If the RNG doesn't like you, it can take a lot more than that, especially since your skill isn't max. Music also has a range of only 2 or 3 squares, so if the monster isn't close to you, it won't work. Monsters from vaults or tension rooms (or the SMC) tend to be harder to tame in my experience.

Honestly, though, rats probably aren't worth your time to tame anyway. Find yourself bear or a greater claw bug (bug infested temple area) and you'll probably have better luck with getting somewhere with pets.
    20 should at very least make them non hostile.

Two things i can think:
    1, Range
    2, Using whistle
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

> Music also has a range of only 2 or 3 squares

I'm not sure about that. I know for a fact that music
    often extends beyond line of sight. As for whether or
    not it is capable of taming/calming anything at that
    range, I don't know.

I have never tamed a rat, but I'm sure that 20 attempts
    at music=90 is plenty. The only thing that seems likely
    is that you tried to tame a tension/threat/vault rat. If
    that's not it, then it almost has to be somevkind of bug
    in there somewhere. Cursed? Doomed? Save game
    editing? I'm grasping at straws here.