View Poll Results: Are you interested in iADOM?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

30 29.41%
  • I'm not sure.

11 10.78%
  • No!

46 45.10%
  • Only if it's available for the iPhone too.

15 14.71%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: iADOM - how big is your interest?

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    >> Lots of people *I know* would just press [X] on any popup they
    >> see (such as "Would you like to update?").

You speak as though updates are a needed thing. I don't think they
    are. I'll try not to be too boring, but here's why I think this.
    Up until last year, I happily used a win98 (first edition), 300
    MHZ emachine. I kept NO antivirus software regularly
    installed for 12 years, though I would occasionally borrow a disk
    from a friend for testing. I never had a single virus. Getting
    virii is much more a 'user habits' thing than a 'lack of security
    updates' thing.
    I can confirm this, I had antivirus software only about 1 year of my ~13 years on the internet now, and never got a virus yet. My brother does the same, and got a virus once (last month) for which he just quickly installed 2 antivirus programs. The virus was effectively killed and 3 weeks ago he removed the antivirus software again so that his PC may run 2 times as fast. Installing et cetera costs quite some time, but the 100% computer speed bonus completely cancels that out even if it was just for 1 week without viruses. As my ICT-brother uses to say: most antivirus software is a cure more dangerous than the disease
    Except if you download torrent files each day and have to click each doubtful link you see, of course

Edit: it's nice btw, always if I check out a channel it's full of gut's posts and replies to those

Hi,

Sorry, it looks like this thread is dead but I'm wondering, is the project dead? I'm new to ADOM but I would LOVE to finally have a proper portable roguelike. The NetHack related ports all suffer from bugs, crashes and poor controls. The new tty app, RogueTerm, is pretty good for playing on NAO, but I don't always have internet connections. I paid $10 for POWDER iOS, and while it's a brilliant game and a perfect port, it doesn't have the complexity to stay fresh after 100+ hours of play and multiple wins. I would easily pay $10+ for a proper iPhone port of ADOM.

I'm pretty sure iADOM is not dead, but Thomas is concentrating pretty heavily on JADE right now.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Is it Thomas alone that's working on iADOM? The OP gives me the impression that he works on ports.

iirc, the order of priority goes like this: jade, adom live, i-whatever, adom.

Adom live was the frontrunner for a while, but Biskup now prioritizes JADE, as
    JADE stands for Java-based ADom Engine, Biskup feels that if he gets a proper
    engine constructed, developement on adom live and i-stuffs will procede more
    smoothly. Jochen, the original poster, will be active on i-related stuffs, and I
    think even already has a prototype UI for adom on some i-device.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

iADOM is still alive. I have a working prototype for some time now, but I'm still not very satisfied with the UI. In addition to that I was busy with some other i-stuff of my own.

Today on the way home I had another idea for the UI of iADOM. We'll see if this works as good as I imagine. Apart from that there are still some bugs in ADOM that I think should be fixed before iADOM (and new ADOM versions) are released and I'm pretty sure I need some help from Thomas to fix them.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

Just a quick note that iADOM already supports the Retina display of the new iPad. Looks great (on the simulator, that is)!
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

I am extremely excited for iAdom to release. I think there may be even more people interested in it with the impending release of the iPad mini.

Definitely yes!

These days I don't carry a laptop with me anymore, only an iPad, and I'm not alone. So I'm really looking forward to playing ADOM while on the road.

Getting an iPad version of ADOM would be fantastic. I play this every day, and if I do not need to have my computer to play it, I would definitely play it even more. I would even do the programming if given the chance, so, needless to say, I support it whole-heartedly. I would also like to say: I have a lot of experience with the iPhone developer tools and I would like to ask for the Java code to remain in place. Doing this in C or Objective-C is appropriate and efficient, but Java would also allow for quick redeployment to the Android and Windows 8 devices.
    Last edited by Xcode_t; 12-23-2012 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Added a small note