View Poll Results: Are you interested in iADOM?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

30 29.41%
  • I'm not sure.

11 10.78%
  • No!

46 45.10%
  • Only if it's available for the iPhone too.

15 14.71%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: iADOM - how big is your interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Yes, there are people out there who might potentially learn a thing or two from Thomas' source code
    It's not about learning. More like fixing the bugs. The only thing you would probably learn from ADOM's source code is how not to write code that produces lot of bugs.

you can't bear the fact that ADOM is more successful than your game is.
    The fact is that I haven't yet released my main roguelike project. I'm not worried about success though. It's going to be a gardening simulator mainly, with some roguelike influences. If I like it I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by j.t View Post
    Surely someone will provide a cracked version of iADOM once it's available (happened to BattleDuel after about a week), so I don't think we have to do that ourselfs.
    I'd personally suggest you and TB do what Jeff Lait, creator of POWDER has done. He's released POWDER on the iPhone for free, but if you want access to the last 10 levels of the game you have to pay $5. POWDER is still free and fully updated on other platforms, but the extra money helps cover the $140 developer registration cost and all the extra time he has to spend on iPhone optimisation. I'd say having to pay $10 or so to get past the wall of flames in ADOM would be quite fair. If you're getting that far in the game you're obviously getting enough playtime out of it to make it well worth the cost.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

You'll also feel you got ripped off because the game is mostly over at that point - if anybody even gets that far; I at least had to play for years to reach the ToEF, and from a purely business-minded standpoint, you do want to get some money from the 70%, 80% who won't ever reach the ToEF. I'd tie it to Khelavaster instead, maybe. (Heh, not that anyone non-German (or Austrian/Swiss, possibly) would likely know what I'm talking about - isn't that basically the Game of ROBOT model? Any of you guys still know ROBOT? )

(By the by, Grey, if you have to pay to access the last ten levels, that game is not free now is it. I wonder, at which point did it become shameful to admit that one was actually selling the fruit of your harsh labour for money to pay for at least some of the expenses incurred?)

Anyway, I'm not going to get ahead of myself and make huge assumptions, but it's basically impossible to prevent a game from being cracked, eventually. If big companies spend a million bucks of their budget on some sort of copy protection only to have the game be available on torrents one day before release, what are your chances likely to be as a two-guys indie developer without any budget?

Besides, any system that is remotely likely to work (see: online activation, Ubisoft, and of course only for a time) is also even more likely to piss off a paying customer (see: online activation, and oh dear god Ubisoft, also forever). I guess your best bet would be to have several copy protection checks, not only one at startup, at regular intervals and locations well into the game, which are much more of a hassle to all track down and remove. Then you have one check going off by accident and bam, your paying customer just had reason to get angry. And your best bet is always to keep the paying customer happy.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

lol, yer all noobs. TB should create a top-notch ADOM server and
    charge for that. There may be a free one to compete with soon,
    but the official one has potential to be better, as they has the source.
    Extra features may include; better PC creation (starsign selector),
    bugfixes, maybe no more uber molochs... Best thing is, they wouldn't
    even have to release a binary, let alone the source. Pretty hard to
    crack that
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I don't know how serious you are, but I would certainly pay for a well-maintained ADOM server... but as long as bugfixed binaries were available. Sometimes I don't have an internet connection, or it doesn't work well, or it's firewalled, or it's behind a proxy, or I have to pay for traffic, or I have lag, etc. etc.

Having a server would be cool but totally depending on a server to play ADOM would suck.

I think he is kidding. Making a single player game online-exclusive reeks of Ubisoftitis. No one except top-tier video game publishing companies is that stupid.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

We would have our exe's taken away from us?

The new stuff (bugfixes/server play/crash recovery) would be worth
    paying for, yet not deprive anyone of their existing ADOM binaries,
    which are plenty good as they are. Besides, there may be a free
    ADOM server again anyway. The only money made would come from
    users who wouldn't miss it. The only way anyone would feel deprived
    is if we organized a challenge game that had to be played on the
    theoretical adom.de server. Rather easy to avoid in my opinion.

But I'd like to play the bugfixed version in my computer. I am willing to pay, but I don't see why I should have to play the bugged version if I don't have an internet connection.

> I don't see why I should have to play the bugged
    > version if I don't have an internet connection.

Because there's no way to make an uncrackable distributable binary?
    Maybe it's a better idea to not charge for anything but server, if that.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Because there's no way to make an uncrackable distributable binary?
    Maybe it's a better idea to not charge for anything but server, if that.
    How about distributing a crackable binary and just living with the fact that some people will be willing to pay and others will find ways around it? It tends to be an efficient and successful model for selling software, see for example Microsoft.